Leonid outburst??

Old November 19th 06, 08:17 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Paul Clark

Default Leonid outburst??

Did anyone get any unusual results?

Single observer counts already adjusted for cloud cover

02:30 - 03:30 ~ 6 (30% cover)
03:30 - 04:30 ~ 8 (50% cover)
04:30 - 05:30 ~ 16 (10% cover)

Location: Angelsey, NELM 6+. M35 clearly visible to direct vision, winter
Milky Way visible down past Canis Major.
No real evidence of an outburst unless they were too faint and quick for our
aged eyes

Paul, Don

Old November 19th 06, 10:26 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Dave Hedgehog

I was out from 4:45 to 5:15 in a fairly clear Rugby. Only spotted 5 which
wasn't enough to keep me from returning to my bed.

Dave

Old November 19th 06, 11:06 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
suave harv

I was out 4.45 - 5.00 and not a flicker. Nothing. Clear skies with slight
mist in Wolverhampton.

Bloody froze I was!

Old November 19th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

Paul Clark wrote:
Did anyone get any unusual results?

Single observer counts already adjusted for cloud cover

02:30 - 03:30 ~ 6 (30% cover)
03:30 - 04:30 ~ 8 (50% cover)
04:30 - 05:30 ~ 16 (10% cover)

Location: Angelsey, NELM 6+. M35 clearly visible to direct vision, winter
Milky Way visible down past Canis Major.
No real evidence of an outburst unless they were too faint and quick for our
aged eyes

Paul, Don

Outside Milton Keynes, totally clear and transparent skies (n/emag +5)
Watch from 0305-0535UT with a 10 minutes break.
23 leonids recorded of whom 3 flashes in low horizon cloud (could have
been fireworks but past 4am at different azimuths over open
countryside?) and 7 sporadics.

To synchronise to your watches (single observer wysiwyg, no correction)
0305-0330UT -- 2 leonids, no sporadics
0330-0425UT -- 11 leonids, 4 sporadics
0435-0535UT -- 10 leonids, 3 sporadics

I was minding a camera at the same time when I could have missed some.

Pierre MK-UK

Old November 19th 06, 11:33 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Owen Brazell

Paul Clark wrote:
Did anyone get any unusual results?

Single observer counts already adjusted for cloud cover

02:30 - 03:30 ~ 6 (30% cover)
03:30 - 04:30 ~ 8 (50% cover)
04:30 - 05:30 ~ 16 (10% cover)

Location: Angelsey, NELM 6+. M35 clearly visible to direct vision, winter
Milky Way visible down past Canis Major.
No real evidence of an outburst unless they were too faint and quick for our
aged eyes

Paul, Don

Paul
in the 45 minutes I was watching from 4:40 to 5:20 I saw about 7
Leonids and two sporadics but think of it like this. I saw about a
quarter of the sky so assuming I had all sky coverage that would be 28
Leonids and the radiant was not at the zenith so the corrected rate
would probably be around 40 which is much more than normal. However I
also saw about 8 planes, two satellites and two rather nice sporadics,
and no fuzzies :-(

Owen
Old November 19th 06, 03:54 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Feles

I'm in south Louisiana USA and watched last night from 11:45 am to
12:45 am, when then the Leonid shower was supposed to "peak" according
to accounts in the media. Alas, I saw 1 meteor during that time!
However, I did see something else that was rather bizarre, which I
assume were three pieces of "space junk" orbiting in tandem (side by
side). That's the only thing I can imagine it could be.

Old November 19th 06, 04:45 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Pete Mills

"Paul Clark" wrote in message
Did anyone get any unusual results?

Single observer counts already adjusted for cloud cover

02:30 - 03:30 ~ 6 (30% cover)
03:30 - 04:30 ~ 8 (50% cover)
04:30 - 05:30 ~ 16 (10% cover)

Location: Angelsey, NELM 6+. M35 clearly visible to direct vision, winter
Milky Way visible down past Canis Major.
No real evidence of an outburst unless they were too faint and quick for

our
aged eyes

Paul, Don

Observed from 3:42 to 5:17 when the cold got the better of me and warm bed
was calling.

Saw 29 Leonids and 3 sporadics under nice dark Norfolk skies.

If there was a peak it seemed a little later than the predicted 4.45, as I
saw four in fairly quick succession aroud 5.05.

I was recording on sony video, but at 5.00 realised I had left the lense cap
on for the entire session. Hopefully the nieghbours didn't hear the
obsenities uttered as I stomped around the back garden!

Pete

Old November 19th 06, 04:45 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Feles

Feles wrote:
I'm in south Louisiana USA and watched last night from 11:45 am to
12:45 am, when then the Leonid shower was supposed to "peak" according
to accounts in the media. Alas, I saw 1 meteor during that time!
However, I did see something else that was rather bizarre, which I
assume were three pieces of "space junk" orbiting in tandem (side by
side). That's the only thing I can imagine it could be.

I've been told that the 3 objects I saw orbiting in tandem were NOSS
satellites.

Old November 19th 06, 08:25 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Sjouke Burry

Paul Clark wrote:
Did anyone get any unusual results?

Yes , a fat cloudcover(Netherlands).......
Old November 19th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

Feles wrote:
I'm in south Louisiana USA and watched last night from 11:45 am to
12:45 am, when then the Leonid shower was supposed to "peak" according
to accounts in the media. Alas, I saw 1 meteor during that time!
However, I did see something else that was rather bizarre, which I
assume were three pieces of "space junk" orbiting in tandem (side by
side). That's the only thing I can imagine it could be.

I saw this as well from Balmedie just north of Aberdeen in Scotland. It
was three points of light in a triangular formation passing to the
north of us in a west to east direction, and all travelling in the same
direction as the long axis of the triangle. Very peculiar. The pictures
of the NOSS satellite from a Google search do look similar.

We saw 15 meteors all together from 05.00 to 06.00, some sporadics.

When is the Leonid peak ? Craig Amateur Astronomy 5 November 17th 05 09:00 PM
Leonid? Nigel Cook UK Astronomy 6 November 14th 03 06:54 PM
The 2003 Leonid Meteor Shower Ron Baalke Astronomy Misc 8 October 12th 03 07:24 AM
2003 Leonid MAC Workshop Ron Baalke Astronomy Misc 0 June 26th 03 11:46 PM
2003 Leonid MAC Workshop Ron Baalke Misc 0 June 26th 03 11:46 PM