Pay close attention...

Old July 31st 04, 02:45 PM
Bob Schmall

Default Pay close attention...

" The experience I had has caused them to loose a customer permanently,
although I am not blaming the main UPS firm for this stupidity."

Oh really? Then please explain the following, from your own post:

"Just wanted to give you a heads up about considering using the UPS Store to
ship your telescope.....
"Now I don't know what's happened with these stores since UPS acquired
Mailboxes, but if they're all this way they're destined to go out of
business in no time!...
"Bottom line, beware of the UPS Stores!...

Making these generalizations from ONE example is not only bad logic, but
borders on the irresponsible. I happen to agree with you on shipping via
UPS, but the problems
you cite seem to be those of your local store only.

Bob

Old July 31st 04, 05:24 PM
Davoud

Bob Schmall:
Making these generalizations from ONE example is not only bad logic, but
borders on the irresponsible. I happen to agree with you on shipping via
UPS, but the problems you cite seem to be those of your local store only.

Indeed. I recently shipped a bunch of expensive and delicate stuff from
Maryland to California via my local Mailboxes/UPS store. I sent it the
fast and expensive way. I flew out there and used it, repacked it, and
shipped it home again the cheap way -- by truck. No problems. Pack
well. This is still only ONE instance, but it only takes one success to
prove that they don't *always* mess up. Anecdotal evidence indicates
that UPS does a good job with the great majority of their shipments.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old July 31st 04, 06:00 PM
Sol Sunspot

"Bob Schmall" wrote in message
" The experience I had has caused them to loose a customer permanently,
although I am not blaming the main UPS firm for this stupidity."

Oh really? Then please explain the following, from your own post:

"Just wanted to give you a heads up about considering using the UPS Store

ship your telescope.....
"Now I don't know what's happened with these stores since UPS acquired
Mailboxes, but if they're all this way they're destined to go out of
business in no time!...
"Bottom line, beware of the UPS Stores!...

Making these generalizations from ONE example is not only bad logic, but
borders on the irresponsible. I happen to agree with you on shipping via
UPS, but the problems
you cite seem to be those of your local store only.

That's true, my bad experience has been with one store. However, now
bearing the UPS name, they SHOULD be as up to spec as the main UPS
facilities. The stores need knocked down a few pegs IF they're going to be
providing inconsistent service, IMO. As I indicated in another post,
corporate UPS training of all UPS Store personell should get them back on
track. One good training program with set principles, etc. and problems
solved.

Ted

Bob

Old July 31st 04, 06:04 PM
Sol Sunspot

"Davoud" wrote in message
Bob Schmall:
Making these generalizations from ONE example is not only bad logic, but
borders on the irresponsible. I happen to agree with you on shipping via
UPS, but the problems you cite seem to be those of your local store

only.

Indeed. I recently shipped a bunch of expensive and delicate stuff from
Maryland to California via my local Mailboxes/UPS store. I sent it the
fast and expensive way. I flew out there and used it, repacked it, and
shipped it home again the cheap way -- by truck. No problems. Pack
well. This is still only ONE instance, but it only takes one success to
prove that they don't *always* mess up. Anecdotal evidence indicates
that UPS does a good job with the great majority of their shipments.

I agree, this is one bad instance in my case. I too used to use a Mailboxes
in a different location with great results, certainly far above and beyond
what I experienced this week. However, this store closed for who knows what
reason and I was forced to use the next closest store. I didn't think I'd
have any problems since the previous store did so well, but boy was I wrong!
What they need are UPS standardized training programs for all UPS Store
managers and employees. This should get them on the path to consistency.

Ted

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com

Old July 31st 04, 06:22 PM
Stephen Paul

"Davoud" wrote in message

This is still only ONE instance, but it only takes one success to
prove that they don't *always* mess up.

Two points of contention:

1) The real issue here is, who are "they". There are many "they" out there.
If you're going to bad mouth, or good mouth "them", "they" is simply _way_
to vague.

2) One mess up, is one too many when it is the result of incompetence on the
part of "them", because it indicates there will be more mess ups to follow
from "them".

Be specific, or don't say anything at all.

Old August 1st 04, 04:06 PM
meow

Stephen Paul wrote:

Two points of contention:

1) The real issue here is, who are "they". There are many "they" out there.
If you're going to bad mouth, or good mouth "them", "they" is simply _way_
to vague.

Considering this is a UPS bashing thread, do you think he might be
referring to UPS?

2) One mess up, is one too many when it is the result of incompetence on the
part of "them", because it indicates there will be more mess ups to follow
from "them".

Bull**** logic. No-one is perfect. ****-ups are inevitable. The measure
of such people/companies is how they resolve the issue after they have
****ed-up.

Be specific, or don't say anything at all.

Get a life.

Old August 1st 04, 05:55 PM
Stephen Paul

"meow" wrote in message