Astronomer Royal on Charlie Rose tonight

Old November 20th 03, 02:47 AM
Mike Simmons

Default Astronomer Royal on Charlie Rose tonight

For those in the US, England's Astronomer Royal Martin Rees will be on
the Charlie Rose show on PBS tonight at 11:30 PM. Sorry but I don't
have any additional information on the subject of the interview. Marine
biologist Sylvia Earle will also be on the one-hour program.

Mike Simmons

Old November 20th 03, 07:35 AM
Mike Simmons

Jim Roberts wrote:

Doh! I missed it...

Don't worry. The program just started here and it's different than in
the listing I saw. That happens to me a lot with this show. The last
time I looked for a web site there wasn't one but I just looked again
and found it. No mention of Martin Rees for tonight or tomorrow. The
schedule doesn't go any farther than that. There is a notice at the top
of the page that says, "This Taping Schedule is HIGHLY TENTATIVE and
Does Change Regularly." No kidding!

Sorry for the false alarm.

Mike Simmons
Old November 20th 03, 07:58 AM
Jim Roberts

"Mike Simmons" wrote in message
Jim Roberts wrote:

Doh! I missed it...

Don't worry. The program just started here and it's different than in
the listing I saw. That happens to me a lot with this show. The last
time I looked for a web site there wasn't one but I just looked again
and found it. No mention of Martin Rees for tonight or tomorrow. The
schedule doesn't go any farther than that. There is a notice at the top
of the page that says, "This Taping Schedule is HIGHLY TENTATIVE and
Does Change Regularly." No kidding!

Sorry for the false alarm.

Mike Simmons

No problem I wasn't really broken up about it. I would like to see it,
though.

Jim

Old November 20th 03, 02:37 PM
Sam Wormley

Mike Simmons wrote:

Jim Roberts wrote:

Doh! I missed it...

Don't worry. The program just started here and it's different than in
the listing I saw. That happens to me a lot with this show. The last
time I looked for a web site there wasn't one but I just looked again
and found it. No mention of Martin Rees for tonight or tomorrow. The
schedule doesn't go any farther than that. There is a notice at the top
of the page that says, "This Taping Schedule is HIGHLY TENTATIVE and
Does Change Regularly." No kidding!

Sorry for the false alarm.

Mike Simmons

Well I got to watch Robert E. Rubin instead!
http://www.ustreas.gov/education/his...s/rerubin.html
Old November 20th 03, 06:39 PM
Russell Martin

Mike Simmons wrote:

Jim Roberts wrote:

Doh! I missed it...

Don't worry. The program just started here and it's different than in
the listing I saw. That happens to me a lot with this show. The last
time I looked for a web site there wasn't one but I just looked again
and found it. No mention of Martin Rees for tonight or tomorrow. The
schedule doesn't go any farther than that. There is a notice at the top
of the page that says, "This Taping Schedule is HIGHLY TENTATIVE and
Does Change Regularly." No kidding!

Sorry for the false alarm.

Mike Simmons

Well I got to watch Robert E. Rubin instead!
http://www.ustreas.gov/education/his...s/rerubin.html

Me, too, and that was rather interesting, IMO. I liked his story
about spending a year at the London School with "no repsonsibilities."
Nice work if you can get it, even as a student. I was always expected
to go to lectures, take tests, write papers, etc. I guess the British
higher education system really is different. I wonder if the Astronomer
Royal actually did any work while he was in school? ;-)

Regards,
Russell
Old November 20th 03, 08:15 PM
Mike Simmons

Sam Wormley wrote:

Well I got to watch Robert E. Rubin instead!
http://www.ustreas.gov/education/his...s/rerubin.html

Charley very rarely has a show that isn't worth watching. Just look at
the list of guests on recent shows at
http://www.charlierose.com/thisweek.shtm. Not one astronomer on the
list, though.g

Mike Simmons
Old November 20th 03, 10:02 PM
DLGlos

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:50:39 GMT, John Steinberg
wrote:

Mike Simmons wrote:

For those in the US, England's Astronomer Royal Martin Rees will be on
the Charlie Rose show on PBS tonight at 11:30 PM.

Wow, did he ever look, sound and talk like former Treasury Secretary
Robert Rubin. To be fair, there was some discussion of astronomical
import, but in this precise case it was about the US deficit.

There is an astronomy related show on a local PBS station tonight at 10
PM. WLIW here in NY but you might to check your local listings to see
if/when it's available locally. It's from 2000 but could be of
interest. Here's the synopsis:

Mystery of Chaco Canyon

Robert Redford narrates this report exploring magnificent 1000-year-old
Native American ruins in Chaco Canyon, N.M. At the center: Pueblo
Bonito, a three-acre structure (the size of the Colosseum in Rome) with
700 rooms. It was built, archaeologists speculate, for the study of
astronomy and cosmology by the ancestors of today's Pueblo people.

1000-year-old ruins! Only man alive I know who was actually there would
be Dr. Howard Lester, CLU, ESQ, MP3, DVD, Ph.D., RN.

TiVo time.

I visited Chaco Canyon about three years back with my wife and son. To
those of us that live in cities and are used to civilization of some
sort or another, it is a different experience. The actual site is
about 20 miles off of the local main highway, and is accessed via an
unpaved road. Closest location approacing modern civilization is
something like 60 miles distant. You have to want to see it; certainly
not likely to bump into it accidently. If you want to overnight, bring
all you need and camp, because there is no other way. We were able to
make out with two duffle bags of camping gear that we took on the
airline.

The ruins are truly impressive in their scope, size, complexity, and
level of finish. It is also impressive to note that the roof
structures were held up with large logs, and the closest source for
that material was 80-100 miles north.

Night skies weren't bad either. ;-) Too bad astronomy was not a
driving interest at that time.

David Glos

Old November 21st 03, 06:43 PM
Al Hall

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:15:20 -0800, Mike Simmons
wrote:

Charley very rarely has a show that isn't worth watching. Just look at
the list of guests on recent shows at
http://www.charlierose.com/thisweek.shtm. Not one astronomer on the
list, though.g

Mike Simmons

Had Noam Chomsky on for the whole hour last night. I had to tape it
for viewing this evening. Should be pretty good. I also caught the
last part of an excellent interview with Gore Vidal earlier in the
week.