Observer alert: meteor outburst morning of Sept. 1

Old August 31st 07, 10:54 PM posted to sci.astro
Tom Van Flandern

Default Observer alert: meteor outburst morning of Sept. 1

The predicted outburst of the Aurigids at ~ 11:15 UT (4:15 a.m. PDT) on the
morning of Sept. 1 has the potential to be the best meteor show for many
years to come. Predicted maximum ~ 300/hour (uncertain by factor of three),
duration one hour, peak time uncertain by 20 minutes. These meteors are
relatively bright and leave nice trains, so moonlight interference should
not spoil the show. See
http://metaresearch.org/solar%20syst...s/Aurigids.asp for more
info. -|Tom|-

Tom Van Flandern - Sequim, WA - see our web site on frontier astronomy
research at http://metaresearch.org

Old September 2nd 07, 01:05 AM posted to sci.astro
Tom Van Flandern

Preliminary results from the North Olympic Peninsula in Washington State:

Observed meteor rate (ZHR) during hour before and after peak: 50/hr

Observed meteor rate (ZHR) during outburst 11:29-11:34 UT: 400/hr

This is the first successful prediction of a meteor outburst for a
long-period comet. -|Tom|-