Optrons 8" 800-203 Reflector

Old February 11th 05, 06:01 PM
**max_rebo**

Default Optrons 8" 800-203 Reflector

Hi all
Is the Optrons 8" 800-203 Reflector a decent telescope or not ?? any
comments please

TIA

Old February 11th 05, 07:00 PM
Tim Auton

"**max_rebo**" wrote:

Is the Optrons 8" 800-203 Reflector a decent telescope or not ?? any
comments please

It looks like it's an f/4 scope. Newtonian telescopes with "fast"
focal ratios (f/4 is fast) are harder to manufacture than longer focal
ratios and suffer from aberrations of the image, particularly coma
near the edge of field (stars are no longer dots, but become kind of
seagull shaped). I would not expect it to perform well, but I've not
looked through one.

Tim
--
This is not my signature.
Old February 12th 05, 02:38 PM
Chris

I saw Optrons scopes on Ebay a few months ago, I sent them an email asking
for
some background on the company and where I could find reviews of the scopes
and got nothing back - I guess that says something!
I also posted a question here, one kind chap said that he had purchased a
telescopic site from them which seemed ok but he couldn't vouch for the
telescopes.
I have not managed to find anything by doing internet searches apart from
loads of auctions sites selling the scopes!

It sounds like a good deal but until I can get good evidence i'm not going
to touch :-)

If you do find anything i'd be interested to see it.

Cheers,

Chris.

Old February 12th 05, 02:46 PM
**max_rebo**

I have not managed to find anything by doing internet searches apart from
loads of auctions sites selling the scopes!

Yep same here. The only info I can find is on www.optrons.com which funnly
enough the same info as all the auctions.

Old February 12th 05, 03:31 PM
Chris

I would leave well alone if I were you, given that they cant be bothered to
reply to my questions (and i've send 2 or 3 over a few weeks) its obvious
that they are not exactly proud of their products / have no positive reviews
to share.

Optrons Telescopes Netwalker Misc 5 January 15th 05 04:41 AM
Extremely Short Focal Length Parabolic Reflector Andrew Higgins Amateur Astronomy 5 January 5th 05 06:22 AM
REFLECTOR Deadline - November 1, 2003 EFLASPO Amateur Astronomy 0 October 30th 03 04:17 PM
DIY Reflector Myren Amateur Astronomy 4 October 6th 03 07:02 PM
AL Reflector Public Announcement EFLASPO Amateur Astronomy 0 October 6th 03 04:13 PM