simulators

Old July 31st 03, 06:12 PM
Carlos

Default simulators

can u list some good space "simulator" for PC ...No arcade

and some space shuttle simulator

thank you.

Old July 31st 03, 06:43 PM
Rick Pellicciotti

"Carlos" wrote in message
can u list some good space "simulator" for PC ...No arcade

and some space shuttle simulator

thank you.

At last! A question on this newsgroup that I know the answer.

http://www.orbitersim.com

It's free too!

Old August 1st 03, 07:57 PM
Steve

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:43:40 -0500, "Rick Pellicciotti"
wrote:

"Carlos" wrote in message
can u list some good space "simulator" for PC ...No arcade

and some space shuttle simulator

thank you.

At last! A question on this newsgroup that I know the answer.

LOL! I was thinking the same :-)

http://www.orbitersim.com

It's free too!

And worth every penny! Hmm, that didn't sound right :-)

--
Steve.
Old August 1st 03, 09:34 PM
Herb Schaltegger

wrote:

"Carlos" wrote in message
can u list some good space "simulator" for PC ...No arcade

and some space shuttle simulator

thank you.

At last! A question on this newsgroup that I know the answer.

LOL! I was thinking the same :-)

http://www.orbitersim.com

It's free too!

And worth every penny! Hmm, that didn't sound right :-)

Ahh, alas: it appears we have slashdotted the server . . . too bad I
haven't downloaded the latest patch yet.

(But I did get my WinXP Pro box at home to snap to it and stop randomly
dropping dead in its tracks - turns out I had an Epson printer status
monitor service running which which has been locking the whole system up
tighter than a bank vault. Gotta love it when one inoccuous "helper"
process can so easily kill your box.

Note to OM and other *nix bashers: when this happens on certain OTHER
operating systems (*cough* Linux *cough* Darwin/OS X *cough*), you can
just ssh over to the box, kill the offending process and you're back in
business. Windows Terminal Services leaves much to be desired in this
regard . . . :-P )

--
Herb Schaltegger, Esq.
Chief Counsel, Human O-Ring Society
Old August 2nd 03, 02:30 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote in message

(But I did get my WinXP Pro box at home to snap to it and stop randomly
dropping dead in its tracks - turns out I had an Epson printer status
monitor service running which which has been locking the whole system up
tighter than a bank vault. Gotta love it when one inoccuous "helper"
process can so easily kill your box.

Note to OM and other *nix bashers: when this happens on certain OTHER
operating systems (*cough* Linux *cough* Darwin/OS X *cough*), you can
just ssh over to the box, kill the offending process and you're back in
business. Windows Terminal Services leaves much to be desired in this
regard . . . :-P )

Get the resouce kit and look for RKILL.

Old August 2nd 03, 01:34 PM
Herb Schaltegger

In article ,
"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

Get the resouce kit and look for RKILL.

I've got the resource kit so I'll look for that command and see how it
works, thanks for the heads-up. Can you kill the XP GUI (I guess it's
explorer.exe?) without killing the kernel? Because when my X11 server
barfed on my Linux box the other day I could ssh over to that box, run
ps | grep X to get the PID for X, kill -9 nnn (where nnn was the PID),
then just startx from the ssh connection to restart my GUI. Can you do
the same thing using Windows Terminal Server?

Old August 1st 03, 01:12 AM
Paul Becker

http://www.wright-flyer.net/desertav...e/eagle3d.html

Old August 2nd 03, 12:54 AM
Peterson, David

can u list some good space "simulator" for PC ...No arcade
and some space shuttle simulator
thank you.

I haven't tried it yet, but there is a program called X-plane that
allows you to fly the shuttle. There is an article about it in Popular
Science this month. This simulator attempts to calculate aerodynamic
forces in real time and you can enter your own designs. The amazing
thing is one guy in South Carolina wrote the whole program.

Check it out at www.x-plane.com and www.x-plane.org

Anyone have experience with this program? Any good?
Old August 2nd 03, 02:30 AM
Jon Berndt

"Peterson, David" wrote in message

I haven't tried it yet, but there is a program called X-plane that
allows you to fly the shuttle. There is an article about it in Popular
Science this month. This simulator attempts to calculate aerodynamic
forces in real time and you can enter your own designs.

Well, pretty much all game-type consumer flight simulators I know calculate
aerodynamic forces (and moments, too!) in real time. The thing with X-plane
is that the total aero forces and moments are not calculated by classical
techniques of using coefficients and stability derivatives to build up those
forces and moments, but instead using something I think he has called "blade
element theory" - which I have always heard as relating to propeller theory.
In any case, the approach splits up the aircraft into parts - the wing into
parts spanwise, the rudder and elevator into parts, the fuselage, etc.
Then, the local condition at each part is used to calculate the forces and
moments on the whole. There's a LOT more to it than that, but that's the
general idea. I think that approach (if done well) can lend itself to
providing decent results in normal flight regimes, and plausible results in
off-nominal conditions. But, I have a hard time believing it can do better
than using actual flight test data and using the classical approach. But, in
the case where you have no flight test data, it's a bit of work to come up
with good estimates for aero - and very difficult or impossible to come up
with plausible results for the off-nominal conditions. So, the X-plane
approach whereby aero is calculated based on geometry has an advantage in
that it is much easier to enter geometry data than to go off and calculate
aero coefficients for a given aircraft.

I have been a developer in the FlightGear (www.flightgear.org) project for
several years, providing what is currently the default flight dynamics
model, JSBSim (www.jsbsim.org). We use the classical approach. There is
another flight model you can select when running FlightGear called YASim
(don't ask where these names come from ... long story). YASim uses an
approach very similar to X-Plane. However, our sim runs on Linux, IRIX,
Mac, and Wintel machines.

The amazing thing is one guy in South Carolina wrote the whole program.

Austin has done some good work, but from what I understand his hype exceeds
even the good work he has done in producing X-Plane (notice how many
exclamation points he uses). When he posted his shuttle FAQ I had to laugh
a little. I sent him some corrections. I think he implemented most of
them. IIRC, someone else wrote the FAQ for him.

Anyone have experience with this program? Any good?

I haven't used it, but from all accounts it's pretty good. I wish someone
would pay me to write simulation code all day.

Oh, wait. They do.

Jon

Old August 3rd 03, 07:24 AM
Peterson, David

Well, pretty much all game-type consumer flight simulators I know calculate
aerodynamic forces (and moments, too!) in real time.

I think most use look-up tables based on data from the real planes.
They look in a table to determine how much force a given shape will
produce with a certian amount of dynamic pressure and AOA. They then
interpolate and extrapolate for data points not in thr table. X-plane
attempts to calculate the forces without look-up tables.