WTF?!?

Old July 9th 05, 12:56 PM
Terrell Miller

Default WTF?!?

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...security_x.htm

quote
CAPE CANAVERAL (AP) — NASA officials are confident enough about their
security measures that they are changing back to some pre-Sept. 11
practices, and the London bombings didn't change their plans, a
spokesman said Friday.

During the last space shuttle launch 2{ years ago, NASA didn't make
public the liftoff time until the day before Columbia blasted into
space. This time, the liftoff time for Discovery has been publicized
well in advance.

"Whatever restrictions we had in place post-9/11 have been eased," said
Michael Braukus, a public affairs officer at NASA headquarters in
Washington. "So we're just back to more or less what is ... normal
operations in regards to the media activities, as well as other security
operations."
/quote

Unbelievable. NASA has done some really dip**** things in the last 30
years, but this one takes the cake.

--
Terrell Miller

"Suddenly, after nearly 30 years of scorn, Prog is cool again".
-Entertainment Weekly
Old July 9th 05, 01:21 PM
Tim K.

"Terrell Miller" wrote in message
[...]

Trust me, that report is inaccurate. Anyone fortunate enough to be on the
base for the launch will see exactly what I mean. For the last launch sim
the crew bus had a helicopter escort with a machine gun armed guy on each
skid. Remember, the last launch had an Israeli on board. Do not think that
security is anything like pre-Sept. 2001 levels.

Old July 9th 05, 06:01 PM
John Doe

Terrell Miller wrote:
"Whatever restrictions we had in place post-9/11 have been eased," said

Unbelievable. NASA has done some really dip**** things in the last 30
years, but this one takes the cake.

You think it is stupid to remove PR restrictions that were totally useless ?
The launch times were published on the net weeks before the launch since the
orbital parameters of the ISS are known and the shuttle mucty launch at the
time the ISS orbit intersects KSC. That restrictions was absurd. Determined
terrorists would know the launch time.

Note that the first launch after 9-11 had tight security but no stupid
measures such as hiding launch time or not permitting the astrovan from being
shown live. In fact, it was one of the most beautiful launches since NASA TV
had a camera on a helicopter that followed the astroval to the pad and made
for breathtaking views of the complex.

These measures were politically motivated, not security related.

Note that NASA still treats foreign journalists as terrorists and they are not
treated the same way as american journalists. That is still silly. But having
a tight and large "no fly zone" around the complex is fine.
Old July 9th 05, 08:12 PM
Brian Gaff

Now come on, are you really expecting anyone to be able to get within
missile range on the day?

The whole point of living in a free country is not to change what you do
just because.

often, terrorists will not go for the obvious target simply because its too
obvious.

Brian

Email:

Old July 9th 05, 09:02 PM
Pat Flannery

Terrell Miller wrote:

"Whatever restrictions we had in place post-9/11 have been eased,"
said Michael Braukus, a public affairs officer at NASA headquarters in
Washington. "So we're just back to more or less what is ... normal
operations in regards to the media activities, as well as other
security operations."
/quote

Unbelievable. NASA has done some really dip**** things in the last 30
years, but this one takes the cake.

Hey, remember their approach to the recommendations of the safety
commission- did they meet all the commission's criteria? No.
Are they going to launch anyway? Yes. Why? Because the Shuttle has now
been declared "safe".
I still love picking the 13th as a launch date... :-)

Pat
Old July 9th 05, 09:49 PM
Pat Flannery

John Doe wrote:

Terrell Miller wrote:

"Whatever restrictions we had in place post-9/11 have been eased," said

Unbelievable. NASA has done some really dip**** things in the last 30
years, but this one takes the cake.

You think it is stupid to remove PR restrictions that were totally useless ?
The launch times were published on the net weeks before the launch since the
orbital parameters of the ISS are known and the shuttle mucty launch at the
time the ISS orbit intersects KSC. That restrictions was absurd. Determined
terrorists would know the launch time.

If not, they could look at TV coverage of the giant digital countdown
clock.... which is a security lapse as blatant as publishing the arrival
and departure times of the London metro trains and double-decker buses.
Don't even get me started on airline flight schedules; thank God the
airlines do their best to keep those somewhat unpredictable. ;-)

Pat
Old July 9th 05, 09:56 PM
Pat Flannery

Brian Gaff wrote:

Now come on, are you really expecting anyone to be able to get within
missile range on the day?

Ever see the movie Earth II*? The scuba diver with the high-powered
rifle and air mattress surfacing just off the coast?
Actually, a rebreather and manpack SAM would work even better.

* The one with the orbiting space station that becomes an independent
country, not the Roddenberry one.

Pat
Old July 10th 05, 12:49 AM
John

A manpad sam . . . if would have a tough time . . . the stack is moving
pretty quick .

I am not saying it is not possible . . .but the window is so small
before the stack accellerates away from any manpad

Old July 10th 05, 02:41 AM
Rand Simberg

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 15:02:51 -0500, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Terrell Miller wrote:

"Whatever restrictions we had in place post-9/11 have been eased,"
said Michael Braukus, a public affairs officer at NASA headquarters in
Washington. "So we're just back to more or less what is ... normal
operations in regards to the media activities, as well as other
security operations."
/quote

Unbelievable. NASA has done some really dip**** things in the last 30
years, but this one takes the cake.

Hey, remember their approach to the recommendations of the safety
commission- did they meet all the commission's criteria? No.
Are they going to launch anyway? Yes. Why? Because the Shuttle has now
been declared "safe".

And many of the commission's criteria were always unrealistic.
Old July 10th 05, 04:31 AM

Pat Flannery wrote:

Actually, a rebreather and manpack SAM would work even better.

I'm slightly unpersuaded that a MANPADS would be a particularly
good anti-Shuttle weapon. The SRB exhaust would probably
confuse the poor thing -- and it might try to fly up the
exhaust plume.

A largish no-fooling keep-out zone around the pad would,
however, seem to be a good idea to discourage people with
mortars, anti-materiel rifles, ATMs and the like from taking
shots at the fueled stack before launch.