Apollo ensemble mass

Old July 13th 04, 03:20 PM
Monte Davis

Default Apollo ensemble mass

What was the total mass (w/ fuel) of the LEM, CM and SM? In other
words, how much gross payload had the S-IVB put into translunar
injection when it separated? I remember about 40,000 kg -- but then, I
don't remember as well as I remember remembering.

Thanks for any help.

-Monte Davis
Old July 14th 04, 03:07 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Monte Davis wrote:
What was the total mass (w/ fuel) of the LEM, CM and SM? In other
words, how much gross payload had the S-IVB put into translunar
injection when it separated? I remember about 40,000 kg...

Depends on which mission you're talking about. :-) 47t (t=1000kg) is a
good round number for the late-model Apollo LM+CSM.

Bear in mind that S-IVB payload included about 2t of adapter enclosing the
LM and supporting the CSM.

And total mass above the S-IVB at TLI also included 2t of Instrument
Unit -- the Saturn V guidance/telemetry assembly -- although that's not
really payload.

(And total mass above the S-IVB at *launch* also included about 4t of
escape tower, but that was jettisoned early in the S-II burn.)
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |