NASA Administrator says exploration is difficult but essential

Old September 8th 04, 11:43 PM
Jacques van Oene

Default NASA Administrator says exploration is difficult but essential

Glenn Mahone/Bob Jacobs
Headquarters, Washington Sept. 8, 2004
(Phone: 202/358-1600)

RELEASE: 04-291

NASA ADMINISTRATOR SAYS EXPLORATION IS DIFFICULT BUT
ESSENTIAL

The following is a statement from NASA Administrator
Sean O'Keefe regarding today's Genesis Sample Return Mission
at the U.S. Air Force Test and Training Range, Dugway Proving
Ground, southwest of Salt Lake City.

"We're encouraged by the news out of Utah, despite the hard
impact landing of the Genesis Sample Return capsule. The
spacecraft was designed in a way to give us the best chance
at salvaging the valuable science payload should we suffer a
landing like the one we witnessed today.

"Our re-entry plan was based on safety, and the choice of
Dugway was intentional. While today's developments may be
disappointing to some, I know the entire NASA family is
thankful no one was injured.

"Exploration of the heavens is not an easy task. Our ability
to travel throughout our solar system is limited, whether by
human tended or robotic craft. Genesis was an experiment to
journey far from home and return with new clues and possible
answers to some of the fundamental questions regarding the
origin of our universe.

"With each new mission, we push the frontiers of our
knowledge and technology, and we're hopeful that what appears
to be a setback, will eventually return some impressive
results. After all, this isn't an Olympic event where we're
awarded a medal for a perfect landing. Our final achievement
will be measured by what we've learned over the entire three-
year mission.

"Our scientists and engineers across NASA and our Jet
Propulsion Laboratory are the best in the world. We will find
out what happened to Genesis, and we'll continue our quest to
accomplish the goals spelled out in our Vision for Space
Exploration."

For information about the Genesis Sample Return Mission on
the Internet, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/genesis

-end-

--