L.I.F.E.

Old April 28th 17, 01:36 AM posted to sci.space.policy
jacob navia

Default L.I.F.E.

This is a good film, showing us the dire consequences of bringing mars
samples back to earth. A good movie actually, much better than "Alien".

NASA has recently acknowledged that there is a lot of organic compounds
in the soil of Mars.

Then, silence, it was some months ago.

We have proof that methane is being produced on Mars. Till now, our
exploration is safe, since the rovers do not come back here.

I tried unsuccessfully here to start a discussion about why the rovers
do not stop doing geological science and start doing biological science.

I do not think that marsian life can be like the unlikely being
displayed in the movie. But it could be very nasty.

As far as I can understand this, marsian life is similar to earth life,
since the fossils being proposed after obervations of marsian soil look
similar to earth fossils. At some points in the past, earth and marsian
life produced very similar fossils. But that was eons ago. Marsian life
has gone underground. What has developed underneath the surface?

We do not know.

Mars life has adapted to much more difficult conditions because of the
cold in the surface. It lives underground and in spring, when everything
restarts, breathes methane. It could be bacterial life only, but even
that, it would be an unknown kind of bacteria for earth life.

Exomars is a bad idea. Sending people is a bad idea too, since they
would come back.

I am not pleading for stopping any mars exploration but let's play it safe?

Let's keep it one way until we know more. Everything that goes to Mars
never comes back here.

Old April 28th 17, 04:43 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

jacob navia wrote:

This is a good film, showing us the dire consequences of bringing mars
samples back to earth. A good movie actually, much better than "Alien".

Fiction.

NASA has recently acknowledged that there is a lot of organic compounds
in the soil of Mars.

Cite? The closest thing to that I've seen is the detection of
non-life related nitrogenous geology.

Then, silence, it was some months ago.

We have proof that methane is being produced on Mars. Till now, our
exploration is safe, since the rovers do not come back here.

I tried unsuccessfully here to start a discussion about why the rovers
do not stop doing geological science and start doing biological science.

The rovers could certainly stop doing geological science, but would
require a whole new set of instruments to do biological science and so
far there is no biology detected on Mars to do science on.

I do not think that marsian life can be like the unlikely being
displayed in the movie. But it could be very nasty.

As far as I can understand this, marsian life is similar to earth life,
since the fossils being proposed after obervations of marsian soil look
similar to earth fossils. At some points in the past, earth and marsian
life produced very similar fossils. But that was eons ago. Marsian life
has gone underground. What has developed underneath the surface?

Please provide a cite for these 'fossils' on Mars.

We do not know.

But it is most likely nothing at all.

Mars life has adapted to much more difficult conditions because of the
cold in the surface. It lives underground and in spring, when everything
restarts, breathes methane. It could be bacterial life only, but even
that, it would be an unknown kind of bacteria for earth life.

Please provide a citation for this 'Mars life'.

Exomars is a bad idea. Sending people is a bad idea too, since they
would come back.

I am not pleading for stopping any mars exploration but let's play it safe?

Let's keep it one way until we know more. Everything that goes to Mars
never comes back here.

If you were running things, we'd still be waiting to get samples back
from the Moon.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old April 28th 17, 08:24 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

On 2017-04-27 20:36, jacob navia wrote:
This is a good film, showing us the dire consequences of bringing mars
samples back to earth. A good movie actually, much better than "Alien".

When fur traders first showed up in Arctic communities of Canada, some
of the villages were almost all wiped out. White men brought with them
colds to which the Inuit had no immunity.

Star Trek always lands on planets with 1G, 1ATM and California weather,
and they happily shake hands with anyone, not worried they may carry
some innocuous (to them) virus that could be deadly to humans. (and vice
versa).

Mars Crew members could be bringing back something which is inert in the
Mars atmpsphere, inert in the pressurized mars Habitat, inert in the
transit ship back to Earth. So crews are cleared to get back to normal
life, and that virus/life form is then exposed to environment it has
never experienced before (ocean water when former crew member goes for
swim) , mutates into something deadly like SARS etc.

But I'd say the odds of it happening are very low.

As in within spitting distance of zero.

Mars environment makes it unlikely there is life forms as we know them.
But what if there are crystaline life forms (aka Andromeda Strain) or
silicone based ones or something we haven't imagined and thus can't detect ?

We're more likely to be destroyed by Berserkers...

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to
live in the real world."
Old April 28th 17, 11:35 AM posted to sci.space.policy
jacob navia

Le 28/04/2017 à 05:43, Fred J. McCall a écrit :
jacob navia wrote:

This is a good film, showing us the dire consequences of bringing mars
samples back to earth. A good movie actually, much better than "Alien".

Fiction.

As all films I suppose. Fiction is the way artists make us understand
reality.

Please provide a cite for these 'fossils' on Mars.

A crucial discovery was done by Mrs Nora Noffke, that identified similar
microbial mats in the surface of Mars as she knows from fossils here on
earth. Incredible but true, NASA hasn't even cared to answer that paper
(published in a peer reviewed journal), so this is one more lost
occasion for NASA to discover life on Mars.

http://www.astrobio.net/mars/potenti...-rover-photos/

But it is most likely nothing at all.

What is the source of the methane then? As you may know, methane is NOT
stable under marsian conditions. Then, something must be regenerating
methane in spring...

Mars life has adapted to much more difficult conditions because of the
cold in the surface. It lives underground and in spring, when everything
restarts, breathes methane. It could be bacterial life only, but even
that, it would be an unknown kind of bacteria for earth life.

Please provide a citation for this 'Mars life'.

Besides the fossils above, the methane production, we have the discovery
of magnetite in marsian meteorites, the photographs of McKay of the
marsian life forms in a meteorite from Antartica, the spectral analysis
of the rock in face of the Viking lander (similar to lichens, the rock
would go "green" in spring), the results of the viking experiments (that
show a circadian rhythm), but obviously:

There is no worst blind man as the man that doesn't want to see.

Exomars is a bad idea. Sending people is a bad idea too, since they
would come back.

I am not pleading for stopping any mars exploration but let's play it safe?

Let's keep it one way until we know more. Everything that goes to Mars
never comes back here.

If you were running things, we'd still be waiting to get samples back
from the Moon.

There isn't any signs of life in the moon. There are a LOT of signs of
life in mars.

As I told you: if you do not want to see it, you will not see it.
Even if it is in front of your face.

Old April 28th 17, 11:46 AM posted to sci.space.policy
jacob navia

Le 28/04/2017 Ã* 08:55, JF Mezei a écrit :
Mars environment makes it unlikely there is life forms as we know them.

Surface environment is very different, yes.

But underground there is abundant water, rests of volcanic activity
providing possible nutrients, pressure is higher, temperatures are
higher than the surface, and the environment could provide for numerous
life forms.
Old April 28th 17, 11:54 AM posted to sci.space.policy
jacob navia

Le 28/04/2017 à 05:43, Fred J. McCall a écrit :
NASA has recently acknowledged that there is a lot of organic compounds
in the soil of Mars.

Cite? The closest thing to that I've seen is the detection of
non-life related nitrogenous geology.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard...organic-matter
The organic molecules found by the team were in a drilled sample of the
Sheepbed mudstone in Gale crater, the landing site for the Curiosity
rover. Scientists think the crater was once the site of a lake billions
of years ago, and rocks like mudstone formed from sediment in the lake.
Moreover, this mudstone was found to contain 20 percent smectite clays.
On Earth, such clays are known to provide high surface area and optimal
interlayer sites for the concentration and preservation of organic
compounds when rapidly deposited under reducing chemical conditions.

While the team can't conclude that there was life at Gale crater, the
discovery shows that the ancient environment offered a supply of reduced
organic molecules for use as building blocks for life and an energy
source for life. Curiosity's earlier analysis of this same mudstone
revealed that the environment offered water and chemical elements
essential for life and a different chemical energy source.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4413
NASA Rover Finds Active and Ancient Organic Chemistry on Mars

NASA's Mars Curiosity rover has measured a tenfold spike in methane, an
organic chemical, in the atmosphere around it and detected other organic
molecules in a rock-powder sample collected by the robotic laboratory's
drill.

"This temporary increase in methane -- sharply up and then back down --
tells us there must be some relatively localized source," said Sushil
Atreya of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, a member of the
Curiosity rover science team. "There are many possible sources,
biological or non-biological, such as interaction of water and rock."

Researchers used Curiosity's onboard Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM)
laboratory a dozen times in a 20-month period to sniff methane in the
atmosphere. During two of those months, in late 2013 and early 2014,
four measurements averaged seven parts per billion. Before and after
that, readings averaged only one-tenth that level.

As I told you: there is no worst blind person as the man that doesn't
want to see.

Old April 28th 17, 12:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

jacob navia wrote:

This is a good film, showing us the dire consequences of bringing mars
samples back to earth. A good movie actually, much better than "Alien".

Fiction.

As all films I suppose. Fiction is the way artists make us understand
reality.

Well, no. Fiction is the way artists ignore reality to entertain us
or send an emotional message.

Please provide a cite for these 'fossils' on Mars.

A crucial discovery was done by Mrs Nora Noffke, that identified similar
microbial mats in the surface of Mars as she knows from fossils here on
earth. Incredible but true, NASA hasn't even cared to answer that paper
(published in a peer reviewed journal), so this is one more lost
occasion for NASA to discover life on Mars.

http://www.astrobio.net/mars/potenti...-rover-photos/

Note that your own cite says this is not definitive, does not call it
'fossils', and notes that it would take a sample return mission and
tests on a mission to be named later with instruments that aren't in
the pipeline.

So yeah, we should redirect everything based on something one person
has speculative evidence for.

But it is most likely nothing at all.

What is the source of the methane then? As you may know, methane is NOT
stable under marsian conditions. Then, something must be regenerating
methane in spring...

So far it looks like a one-time event. Even if it is not, there are
all sorts of non-biological paths that explain it.

Mars life has adapted to much more difficult conditions because of the
cold in the surface. It lives underground and in spring, when everything
restarts, breathes methane. It could be bacterial life only, but even
that, it would be an unknown kind of bacteria for earth life.

Please provide a citation for this 'Mars life'.

Besides the fossils above,

No fossils. And the geological structures that ONE PERSON is
SPECULATING may indicate microbes indicate them SEVERAL BILLION YEARS
AGO, NOT NOW.

the methane production,

We don't know that there is any 'methane production'. It's more
likely it's a methane sink release.

we have the discovery of magnetite in marsian meteorites,

ONE meteorite and that has nothing to do with life.

the photographs of McKay of the
marsian life forms in a meteorite from Antartica,

McKay doesn't characterize it as "marsian life forms". Even if what
they found indicates life, it's three and a half billion years ago.

the spectral analysis
of the rock in face of the Viking lander (similar to lichens, the rock
would go "green" in spring), the results of the viking experiments (that
show a circadian rhythm), but obviously:

This is so speculative that it's not even worth commenting on.

There is no worst blind man as the man that doesn't want to see.

Of course there is. The man who is so eager to see that he obsesses
over things that aren't there is ever so much worse.

Bull****.

As I told you: if you do not want to see it, you will not see it.
Even if it is in front of your face.

As I told you, if you want to see it, you will see it, even if it is
not there.

only stupid."
-- Heinrich Heine
Old April 28th 17, 12:40 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

jacob navia wrote:

Le 28/04/2017 à 05:43, Fred J. McCall a écrit :
NASA has recently acknowledged that there is a lot of organic compounds
in the soil of Mars.

Cite? The closest thing to that I've seen is the detection of
non-life related nitrogenous geology.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard...organic-matter

One core sample in one place is NOT "a lot of organic compounds in the
soil of Mars".

snip

While the team can't conclude that there was life at Gale crater,

So no life, then.

snip

As I told you: there is no worst blind person as the man that doesn't
want to see.

And as I told you: there is indeed a worst blind person, that being
one who is so eager to see that he sees and obsesses over things that
are not there.

only stupid."
-- Heinrich Heine
Old April 29th 17, 08:37 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

On 2017-04-28 03:24, Fred J. McCall wrote:

As in within spitting distance of zero.

On what basis could you (or anyone) quantify the odds that something
detected and thought to be innocusous or undetected on Mars brought back
to Earth could suddently cause havok?

One the basis of even a rudimentary understanding of biology. Just
how do you think a microbe with no common heredity with us is going to
"cause havok"? Magic, perhaps? Think about the conditions on Mars
for the last several billion years and the direction that that will
drive any life and then ask yourself if that stuff could survive under
Earth conditions or could somehow infect Earth life. The answer is
that it almost certainly could not.

We know what rovers were designed to find, and of those capabilities
what was and wasn't found. But we can't know about stuff the rovers were
not designed to detect.

And we don't really have to care. Meteorites from Mars have made it
here. We aren't all dead, so it's a virtual certainty that any
Martian microbes that might exist die under Earth conditions.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old April 29th 17, 10:11 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

On Apr/29/2017 at 3:37 AM, Fred J. McCall wrote :
JF Mezei wrote:

We know what rovers were designed to find, and of those capabilities
what was and wasn't found. But we can't know about stuff the rovers were
not designed to detect.

And we don't really have to care. Meteorites from Mars have made it
here. We aren't all dead, so it's a virtual certainty that any
Martian microbes that might exist die under Earth conditions.

No it isn't. If there are some microbes travelling from Mars to Earth
they don't necessarily die under Earth conditions. What we can say
is that, if they do travel, they don't wreak havoc on Earth, for some
definition of 'wreak havoc'. It is possible that current conditions
on Earth are the outcome from havoc wreaked by Martian microbes.

Alain Fournier