SpaceX: 2025

Old January 30th 16, 08:15 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

Default SpaceX: 2025

Elon Musk: SpaceX wants to send people to Mars by 2025

See:
http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/30/news...d=hp-stack-dom

Alain Fournier
Old February 1st 16, 04:37 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Saturday, January 30, 2016 at 3:15:11 PM UTC-5, Alain Fournier wrote:
Elon Musk: SpaceX wants to send people to Mars by 2025

See:
http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/30/news...d=hp-stack-dom

Alain Fournier

space x can probably land people on mars by 2025.

nasa might be able to do it by by 2050 using orion sls, probably a budget trip only costing 10 billion for the boosters alone. after all congress wants to keep the piggies well fed $$$$$$$$$$

the nasa flags and footprints missions will be great.

after a few trips nasawill abandon the entire effort, leaving still space certified boosters to rot.......
Old February 1st 16, 06:03 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones[_6_]

Alain Fournier wrote:
See:
http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/30/news...d=hp-stack-dom

SpaceX plans to send a crew to the International Space Station at
the end of 2017. Musk wants to visit the station in the next four
or five years.

What's he doing to prepare for going into space? Not much in the
way of zero-gravity training.

"I don't think it's that hard honestly. I mean just float
around. It's not that hard to float around," Musk said.

Isn't that what NASA thought before Ed White's EVA? I suppose just
floating around inside the station is a bit different but I'd think
one would still want a fair bit of preparation.

rick jones
where do you want to be today?
these opinions are mine, all mine; HPE might not want them anyway...
feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hpe.com but NOT BOTH...
Old February 2nd 16, 01:30 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

On Feb/1/2016 1:03 PM, Rick Jones wrote :
Alain Fournier wrote:
See:
http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/30/news...d=hp-stack-dom

SpaceX plans to send a crew to the International Space Station at
the end of 2017. Musk wants to visit the station in the next four
or five years.

What's he doing to prepare for going into space? Not much in the
way of zero-gravity training.

"I don't think it's that hard honestly. I mean just float
around. It's not that hard to float around," Musk said.

Isn't that what NASA thought before Ed White's EVA? I suppose just
floating around inside the station is a bit different but I'd think
one would still want a fair bit of preparation.

Personally, I don't think any humans will go to Mars in 2025. Unless
SpaceX has done much more preparations than what I have heard about I
don't think there is enough time to prepare a mission for 2025. You
would want to do a test before the actual mission. So that means you
need to have your hardware ready for launch in 2022, only six years left.

Even if I don't think it will be done in 2025, I do consider Musk and
SpaceX to be more credible when saying that than would be let's say NASA
or some Russian official.

Alain Fournier

Old February 3rd 16, 10:56 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article , says...

Alain Fournier wrote:
See:
http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/30/news...d=hp-stack-dom

SpaceX plans to send a crew to the International Space Station at
the end of 2017. Musk wants to visit the station in the next four
or five years.

What's he doing to prepare for going into space? Not much in the
way of zero-gravity training.

"I don't think it's that hard honestly. I mean just float
around. It's not that hard to float around," Musk said.

Isn't that what NASA thought before Ed White's EVA? I suppose just
floating around inside the station is a bit different but I'd think
one would still want a fair bit of preparation.

Musk will be inside a smallish pressure vessel without an EVA suit, so
it won't be hard at all.

What makes EVA hard is the bulky, stiff, pressure suit. On the first US
EVA, there wasn't even proper cooling (no liquid cooling garment), so
overheating was a huge problem. EVA isn't *that* hard, with a modern
EVA suit, since the suit provides sufficient cooling and has greater
mobility than the early Gemini suits.

Also, hand holds on the outside of the ship are critical. There simply
wasn't enough of those on Gemini. After Gemini, hand holds started to
be bolted pretty much "everywhere" an astronaut might need to go on an
EVA. Also, on the shuttle, Mir, and ISS, robotic and manual arms ease
the workload greatly and provide for a platform/restraint that an
astronaut can use for stability when working on manual tasks.

Jeff
Old February 4th 16, 01:28 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Saturday, January 30, 2016 at 3:15:11 PM UTC-5, Alain Fournier wrote:
Elon Musk: SpaceX wants to send people to Mars by 2025

See:
http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/30/news...d=hp-stack-dom

Alain Fournier

there was a bad moment during that very first spacewalk on gemini. the suit ballooned outward making it hard to close the hatch. the deflated the suit somewhat so the astronaut could close the hatch

i think russia had similiar issues but they werent sharing info
Old February 4th 16, 04:05 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

eb.com...

On 2016-02-03 05:56, Jeff Findley wrote:

Also, hand holds on the outside of the ship are critical. There simply
wasn't enough of those on Gemini.

Based on "From the Earth to the Moon", the first EVA was tethered. Not
sure if accurate or not.

Yes, it is. The first untethered EVAs in the US program were Apollo 11 on
the surface of the Moon. Can't float away there.

Also, he didn't have to do any type of work , did he ? Just hang out
and enjoy the view ?

Not really, he tested a "zip' gun but that's about it.

It was I believe on Gemini 9A where Cernan had a lot of problems. He was
supposed to move to the back of the craft and put on what was essentially a
predecessor to the MMU but overheated his suit and grew fatigued (and
dehydrated) from so much effort expanded trying to move and also to keep his
body in position.
His suit also had a few issues.

Once you get into self contained suits, EVA techniques to prevent you
from drifting away become essential (hence not just "hand holds" but
also some place to attach your safety tether to as you move around.

All astronauts (except the MMU tests) are tethered during spacewalks.
They have two tethers and at least one is attached at all times.

Skylab used an interesting design where their umbilical connected them to
the station and provided O2. It could also be "locked" in a position.

And when you have to actually do something, you need to learn to move
from airlock hatch to th workplace and then how to do work.

And if your suit is equipped with an emergency thruster to get back home
if you do become untethred, you need to have some training on how to use
it (and also how to use the suit, monitor pressure etc etc)

I don't believe Russian suits have any system, but US suits now use SAFER.

With regards to Musk visiting the iSS, I would assume he would at the
very least require training by NASA in the ISS "simulators" at Houston
and likely in Moscow as well as did the few "tourists" who did go up in
the past.

Along with the Soyuz training, space touriosts also got medically
tested, trained in 0g, trained on those torture rotating chairs etc.

So NASA could allow them inside the ISS segmemnt knowing they had a
minimum fitness standartds and wouldn't become a burden to crews if they
got heart attacks etc.

However, if some private company launches people, I would guess NASA and
Russia would set some requiremements for approved medical testing prior
to letting them board the ISS.

For Soyuz training, crews got survival training in various scenarios
(winter, summer, ocean ditching etc). Will SpaceX be in charge of that
(since it is their capsule and they choose the survival equipment
inside) or will NASA do that ?

If NASA is buying the seats, I'm sure they'll set the rules. If SpaceX if
flying a private flight, I'm sure they'll try to set their own rules.

Old February 4th 16, 04:06 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"bob haller" wrote in message

On Saturday, January 30, 2016 at 3:15:11 PM UTC-5, Alain Fournier wrote:
Elon Musk: SpaceX wants to send people to Mars by 2025

See:
http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/30/news...d=hp-stack-dom

Alain Fournier

there was a bad moment during that very first spacewalk on gemini. the suit
ballooned outward making it hard to close the hatch. the deflated the suit
somewhat so the astronaut could close the hatch

I think you're confusing this with Cernan's suit issues on Gemini 9A

i think russia had similiar issues but they werent sharing info

Old February 4th 16, 11:20 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article om,
says...

On 2016-02-03 05:56, Jeff Findley wrote:

Also, hand holds on the outside of the ship are critical. There simply
wasn't enough of those on Gemini.

Based on "From the Earth to the Moon", the first EVA was tethered. Not
sure if accurate or not.

I believe it was actually an *umbilical* carrying oxygen to the suit.
Apollo "stand up" EVAs and Skylab EVAs were similar. The stiffness and
extra mass of the umbilical made (unassisted) movement in zero gravity
*quite* difficult.

Also, he didn't have to do any type of work , did he ? Just hang out
and enjoy the view ?

I believe much of the work was canceled as his heart rate was soaring.
Lack of cooling and overexertion (caused by trying to move around
without proper hand holds) put him in a very dangerous situation.

Once you get into self contained suits, EVA techniques to prevent you
from drifting away become essential (hence not just "hand holds" but
also some place to attach your safety tether to as you move around.

Tether's are lighter weight and more flexible than an umbilical. That's
one key to improving mobility.

And when you have to actually do something, you need to learn to move
from airlock hatch to th workplace and then how to do work.

Which is nearly impossible when you have a bulky umbilical attaching you
to the crew compartment and there are not enough hand holds.

And if your suit is equipped with an emergency thruster to get back

home
if you do become untethred, you need to have some training on how to use
it (and also how to use the suit, monitor pressure etc etc)

Not an issue on Gemini and Apollo "stand up" EVAs because of the
umbilicals. What you're talking about became an issue on Shuttle EVAs
because they did *not* use an umbilical.

With regards to Musk visiting the iSS, I would assume he would at the
very least require training by NASA in the ISS "simulators" at Houston
and likely in Moscow as well as did the few "tourists" who did go up in
the past.

True, but if he flew on a stand-alone Dragon flight (not docking at
ISS), NASA would have very little to say about such a flight.

Along with the Soyuz training, space touriosts also got medically
tested, trained in 0g, trained on those torture rotating chairs etc.

So NASA could allow them inside the ISS segmemnt knowing they had a
minimum fitness standartds and wouldn't become a burden to crews if they
got heart attacks etc.

Do not forget that NASA has had, in the past, issues with tourists
hitching a ride on a Russian Soyuz. Just because the ISS is
"international" does not mean all the countries get along all the time.

However, if some private company launches people, I would guess NASA and
Russia would set some requiremements for approved medical testing prior
to letting them board the ISS.

If this were related to Commercial Crew, NASA would ultimately be the
controlling authority on "visiting" astronauts, just as Russia has been
with Soyuz.

For Soyuz training, crews got survival training in various scenarios
(winter, summer, ocean ditching etc). Will SpaceX be in charge of that
(since it is their capsule and they choose the survival equipment
inside) or will NASA do that ?

NASA.

Jeff