Ares 1-X Pad Avoidance Maneuver only ....1 Degree???

Old December 6th 09, 06:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Jonathan

Default Ares 1-X Pad Avoidance Maneuver only ....1 Degree???

Ares 1-X rocket arrives at launch pad for test flight
BY STEPHEN CLARK
SPACEFLIGHT NOW

"Flight designers have programmed the rocket to execute a slight
avoidance maneuver moments after liftoff to keep from damaging
the pad with its fiery hot motor plume. The rocket's nozzle will be
gimbaled about 1 degree for the "walk off" maneuver. "We've
designed a flyaway maneuver for the nozzle to cant over ever so
slightly -- 1 degree -- not that much to us, but with 2 million pounds
of thrust, that's going to take the vehicle and help it to fly away
from the pad," Stelzer said.

"Stover said engineers predict there will be about 15 feet of clearance
between the pad and the rocket at liftoff, so there is no threat of
physical contact. Officials are only concerned about the affects of the
booster's plume.
http://spaceflightnow.com/ares1x/091020pad/

If anyone believes the 'pad maneuver' was only one degree...
that the turn at launch was 'slight'.... well then I have a
few bridges for sale you might be interested in.

Looked closer to ten degrees to me.

And isn't the booster plume being pushed ...towards...the pad
not away from it???

High-Definition Ares 1-x Launch Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn-xza2m8so

Old December 6th 09, 08:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Me

On Dec 6, 1:25*pm, "Jonathan" wrote:
If anyone believes the 'pad maneuver' was only one degree...
that the turn at launch was 'slight'.... well then I have a
few bridges for sale you might be interested in.

Looked closer to ten degrees to me.

It was slight and no where near 10 degrees. Its length exaggerated
the effect.

Why do you insist on seeing for problems where there are none.
Old December 6th 09, 08:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Brian Gaff

Well, got the decimal point in the wrong place and the sign wrong, could
happen to any rocket scientist.......
thud.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

Old December 6th 09, 09:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
gaetanomarano

Location: Italy

..

why STILL talk about the X-fake-version of a DEAD rocket???

http://www.ghostnasa.com/posts2/058ares1dead.html

..
Old December 7th 09, 04:05 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Sylvia Else

Jonathan wrote:
[...]

If the motor's not pointed through the c-of-g then you get a torque,
whose affects are integrated until the motor is centred.

They said that the motor will be gymbaled 1 degree, not that that would
be the extend of the change in orientation of the craft.

Sylvia.
Old December 7th 09, 07:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Matt Wiser[_2_]

Two reasons: first, he's anti-Ares (though he's never suggested any
alternative other than the unbuilt and untested SpaceX), and second, he's a
troll. Killfile him ASAP.

Old December 7th 09, 08:44 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Brian Gaff

Well, if that is really the case, how could they get the sums so wrong. I
guess in the Shuttle you have an ever lightening load as you are burning
fuel from the main tank all the time you are burning the propellant in the
srb. In Ares, you are lifting a fixed dead weight all the way to sep.

Brian

--
.

Old December 7th 09, 04:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_576_]

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

:Well, if that is really the case, how could they get the sums so wrong. I
:guess in the Shuttle you have an ever lightening load as you are burning
:fuel from the main tank all the time you are burning the propellant in
the
:srb. In Ares, you are lifting a fixed dead weight all the way to sep.
:

Uh, the fuel burns just like it does in any other rocket. The mass of
a solid rocket changes as it burns, too.

I understood Brian to be referring ot the mass of the upperstage here, which
didn't change.

Still, I don't think there was a problem and if there was, it's still not an
issue.

territory."
--G. Behn

--