OT - Military Channel

Old August 15th 09, 05:47 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default OT - Military Channel

Has anyone else noted that The Military Channel (sometimes called "The
Hitler Channel" due to its fascination with all things Nazi) has
recently demonstrated a program schedule that not only features a lack
of new series, but a decided return to program series and episodes from
around a decade back?
Has "killing people and breaking things" fallen out of fashion again,
like it did towards the end of the Vietnam War?
Well, at least we still have "Dogfights" and "Battle 360" over on The
History Channel, both of which kick ass.
Don't even get me started on The Old Gunny and "Lock And Load". Let's
just say I have a small shrine in my apartment to R. Lee Ermey with
burning cans of whup-ass lighting his photo, and live watermelons being
sacrificed on a weekly basis.
So, are you going to trust your uneaten wiener to anything less than
_real_ Tupperware?
Not if you're smart, you full-metal jerk-off! Let's just say that if you
do that, the only thing that's likely to suck on it tomorrow is a Hoover
vacuum cleaner!: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Lee_Ermey

Pat
Old August 15th 09, 06:58 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:47:09 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Has anyone else noted that The Military Channel (sometimes called "The
Hitler Channel" due to its fascination with all things Nazi)

Actually, that's The History Channel that has been derided as The
Hitler Channel for its obsession with World War II. I've not heard
Military Channel (which was originally Discovery Wings Channel) called
that. The closest they come is repeats of "Wings of the Luftwaffe" now
and then.

as
recently demonstrated a program schedule that not only features a lack
of new series, but a decided return to program series and episodes from
around a decade back?

They're still producing new episodes of "Great Planes". This week's
episode about the A-26 Invader was new, I think (TiVo said it was
copyright 2009.). But that ex-pilot is a terrible, monotone
host/narrator and all their "great planes" seem to be the ones some
museum in Virginia happens to have.

Brian

Old August 16th 09, 06:00 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Brian Thorn wrote:
They're still producing new episodes of "Great Planes". This week's
episode about the A-26 Invader was new, I think (TiVo said it was
copyright 2009.). But that ex-pilot is a terrible, monotone
host/narrator and all their "great planes" seem to be the ones some
museum in Virginia happens to have.

I'll have to check, that may be a series from many years ago that's
being recycled again, as a lot of its information on more recent
aircraft seems badly dated.
I'll take the monotone narrator any day of the week over the shows that
have the heavy metal soundtrack on them.

Pat

Old August 16th 09, 09:36 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:00:16 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

I'll take the monotone narrator any day of the week over the shows that
have the heavy metal soundtrack on them.

....I'll drink to that. To date, there's only been two tracks that've
been close enough to metal and still be tolerable to go with anything
military: "One Vision" by Queen, and "Dreams" by Van Hagar.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old August 16th 09, 10:11 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

wrote:

I'll have to check, that may be a series from many years ago that's
being recycled again, as a lot of its information on more recent
aircraft seems badly dated.

Maybe we're talking about different shows. "Great Planes" hasn't
really tackled recent aircraft. I think Vietnam-era planes are the
most recent. But the monotone pilot has compared a few of the subjects
to the F-22 (not in detail, just to say "Oh, the F-8 was the first to
use that... the F-22 still does!) so it seems pretty recent.

My main complaint is the selection of "Great Planes". I really
wouldn't consider the F-100, A-7, or A-26 "great".

Brian

Old August 17th 09, 01:44 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

wrote:

My main complaint is the selection of "Great Planes". I really
wouldn't consider the F-100, A-7, or A-26 "great".

I guess after a while you run out of the obvious ones, and end up with
choices like that.
All three of those aircraft had fairly long and successful operational
histories, and the program on the A-26 was interesting to watch, as it's
not that well known, and they did cover the A-20 Havoc in the same
episode. I had a Monogram model of a Invader as a kid, and frankly
didn't have a clue as to what is was or where it came from...it sure
didn't look like a Marauder of some sort:
http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com...-p6invader.JPG
Which leaves a good question - why exactly was it later given a "B-26"
designation after it had already been used by the Marauder?
My favorite "Wings" episode was the one where the B-17 was credited
with carrying ten _50 mm_ machine guns, which should have made any
German fighter very hesitant about attacking it.

Pat