Pretty off topic," The Right Stuff"?

Old July 2nd 03, 11:26 PM
Matt

Default Pretty off topic," The Right Stuff"?

We have been having a discussion about the first use of the phrase "The
Right Stuff" as in relation to test pilots, astronauts etc. A web search
throws up lots of references regarding the Tom Wolfe novel and film of the
same but little useful info regarding the history of the term.

So any pointers chaps?

Regards

Matt

---

Old July 3rd 03, 12:23 PM
Martin Frey

David Harris wrote:

"Harlan, Lindsay "Perfection and devotion: Sati Tradition in Rajastan" CP 257-268. (79) What are the
meanings of suttee and sati? (79-81)What did the au thor find out about Sati veneration in Rajastan
in the 1980's? How does a woman become a sati? What is sat? What do the thee stages of personal
transformation in acquiring sat - pativrata, sativrata, satimata-- involve? What does the woman do
at each stage? (81) What is the analogy of sat with heat? Why is the sati considered extremely
powerful between the time vows (vrat) and death? When does the sati become transformed into a
satimata? What is her twofold role after death? How do women relate to the satimata? Does the
individual sati retain distinct identity after death? (Note the pattern of assimilation of all women
into one divine woman with many aspects). (82) How does the satimata function after death? (82-83)
Is the act of self -immolation (ritual sacrifice) sufficient to become a sativrata? Why not? Note
the role of character. How does the dying confirm the prior stage as patrivrata?

*** How does the sati "being made of the right stuff" manifest itself? (84-88)

What is the srap? Who issues it? What does it do? Whose lives are inevitably affected? "

Cooerr - I thought the right stuff to make girlies was sugar and spice
and all things nice.

Cheers

Martin

--------------
Martin Frey
N 51 02 E 0 47
--------------

Old July 3rd 03, 07:54 PM
Mike Ring

Martin Frey wrote in
:

Cooerr - I thought the right stuff to make girlies was sugar and spice
and all things nice.

Cheers

Martin

Don't know many, then, do you?

Mike R

Old July 3rd 03, 11:09 PM
Martin Frey

Mike Ring wrote:

Martin Frey wrote in
:

Cooerr - I thought the right stuff to make girlies was sugar and spice
and all things nice.

Cheers

Martin

Don't know many, then, do you?

Mike R

I don't know _any_: the only ones I know are, thank god, most
definitely made of the wrong stuff (most probably slugs and snails and
puppy dog's tails)

--------------
Martin Frey
N 51 02 E 0 47
--------------
Old July 3rd 03, 11:09 PM
Martin Frey

Mike Ring wrote:

Martin Frey wrote in
:

OFF TOPIC starlord Amateur Astronomy 5 August 11th 04 11:56 PM
found a pretty good site for accessories [email protected] FITS 0 February 1st 04 07:52 PM
Requirements / process to become a shuttle astronaut? Dan Huizenga Space Shuttle 11 November 14th 03 08:33 AM
Why Infrared Astronomy Is A Hot Topic Ron Baalke Science 0 October 27th 03 02:32 AM
Why infrared astronomy is a hot topic (Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 October 25th 03 02:52 AM