So sort of a trivia quiz

Old November 18th 14, 05:35 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default So sort of a trivia quiz

And no, I don't have the answers, but I'm curious:

First:
Which crewed craft (in any config) has flown on the most different types of
boosters? For these purposes, I'm counting all versions of Soyuz rockets as
"the same" until convinced otherwise.

So far I have Apollo and Mercury being the "winners:
Mercury - Little Joe, Redstone, Atlas
Apollo - Little Joe II, Saturn IB, Saturn V

Soyuz (spacecraft, in Soyuz and Zond configurations) - Soyuz (rocket),
Proton (I believe the Zonds to the Moon were launched on this) and I think
one other.

Second:
Which launch pad (or complex if you wish) has launched the most DIFFERENT
types of rockets.
Right now LC-39B comes to mind:
Saturn V
Saturn IB
Shuttle
Ares 1-X

I'm sure there are others that can beat that?

Ok trivia/history buffs go to work.

Old February 6th 15, 02:34 AM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain[_4_]

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 11:10:09 PM UTC-5, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
Second:
Which launch pad (or complex if you wish) has launched the most DIFFERENT
types of rockets.
Right now LC-39B comes to mind:
Saturn V
Saturn IB
Shuttle
Ares 1-X

I'm sure there are others that can beat that?

Ok trivia/history buffs go to work.

Unless the ESA can beat that I sort of doubt that. Russian launch pads are more special purpose build outs aren't they?

In fact I couldn't find any history of a Saturn IB launch at LC-39A for that matter. So even with Saturn V and Shuttle and the F9H that will only make for 3 types of rockets. With the launch of SLS, LC-39B will still comfortably hold onto the lead with up to 5 different types!

Dave
Old February 6th 15, 02:36 AM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain[_4_]

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 8:34:23 PM UTC-5, David Spain wrote:
[...]

OH OH I forgot the Skylab! Now would that count as a different rocket? If so, that would put LC-39A at 4 and tied with LC-39B until SLS.

Dave
Old February 6th 15, 04:46 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

wrote:
[...]

Some call the Saturn V that launched Skylab as a variation on the variation
known as "Int-21" but I think it's same basic rocket.
And know, LC-39A didn't do a Saturn IB. They had the IB on 39B for launch
soon after Skylab, until the solar shield issues came up.

And after that they were starting to renovate 39A for the shuttle.

Old February 6th 15, 08:01 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain[_4_]

On Monday, November 17, 2014 at 11:35:40 PM UTC-5, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
And no, I don't have the answers, but I'm curious:

Second:
Which launch pad (or complex if you wish) has launched the most DIFFERENT
types of rockets.
Right now LC-39B comes to mind:
Saturn V
Saturn IB
Shuttle
Ares 1-X

I'm sure there are others that can beat that?

New candidate for you.

SLC-17B Cape Canaveral, 12 "associated" rocket types. So I guess it's how you count 'em....

Checked Vandenberg, nada, nothing else in USA comes as close....

Pasted from Wikipedia:

SLC-17B launch history
Status Inactive
Launches 164