Artificial food coming soon.

Old March 17th 12, 06:29 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history,rec.arts.sf.science
Dustin Dewynne

Default Artificial food coming soon.

On Mar 14, 11:14*am, (Bruce D. Scott) wrote:
Robert Clark ) wrote:

: $330,000 Burger Made Of Test Tube Meat, Expected In October.
: By IBTimes Staff Reporter: Subscribe to IBTimes's RSS feed
: March 13, 2012 11:10 AM EDT
:http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3134...burger-test-tu...
: t-petri-dish.htm

[...]

That's disgusting. *Why not simply eat real food?

Why not? That question is worth examining...

Consider for a moment, the punishment of criminals. Capital
punishment is broadly considered to be far more severe than the
chopping off of a limb. Now say that, for whatever reason, we wanted
to inflict damage onto animals instead. By similar reasoning it is
easy to conclude that less damage is inflicted by cutting off limbs
rather than by killing them.

Ok, now you are hungry and you want to eat. Specifically, you want to
eat meat. Because of the above reasoning, you decide that it will
inflict less damage to the cow you are hungry for to just cut off one
of its legs and eat that.

Imagine all of the meat that is eaten by society, and all of the
animal lives that are slaughtered. Knowing that it would be a
significant improvement toward respecting their lives if we just cut
off their limbs instead of killing them, imagine what your thoughts
would be when driving by a field of cows that are missing limbs,
perhaps in line to get another one of their limbs chopped off.

This leads toward a conclusion that the reason people are ok with
eating meat is because they do not have to face the consequences of
their decisions. A dead cow is much easier to ignore than an injured
cow.

Imagine our world with fields upon fields of limbless cows. If we
look upon that with the understanding that this world has inflicted
far less damage to these animals than the world we live in today, we
begin to get a sense of how callous we currently are to the entire
issue.

=Dustin
Old March 17th 12, 03:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history,rec.arts.sf.science
Bill Snyder

Robert Clark ) wrote:

: $330,000 Burger Made Of Test Tube Meat, Expected In October.
: By IBTimes Staff Reporter: Subscribe to IBTimes's RSS feed
: March 13, 2012 11:10 AM EDT
:http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3134...burger-test-tu...
: t-petri-dish.htm

[...]

That's disgusting. *Why not simply eat real food?

Why not? That question is worth examining...

Consider for a moment, the punishment of criminals. Capital
punishment is broadly considered to be far more severe than the
chopping off of a limb. Now say that, for whatever reason, we wanted
to inflict damage onto animals instead. By similar reasoning it is
easy to conclude that less damage is inflicted by cutting off limbs
rather than by killing them.

"A pig like that, you don't eat all at once.'

--
Bill Snyder [This space unintentionally left blank]
Old March 17th 12, 04:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history,rec.arts.sf.science
Dustin Dewynne

wrote:

Consider for a moment, the punishment of criminals. *Capital
punishment is broadly considered to be far more severe than the
chopping off of a limb. *Now say that, for whatever reason, we wanted
to inflict damage onto animals instead. *By similar reasoning it is
easy to conclude that less damage is inflicted by cutting off limbs
rather than by killing them.

"A pig like that, you don't eat all at once.'

Exactly! I just looked that up, and whoever created that joke was
making the exact same point, much more eloquently!

=Dustin