Mercury Redstone in 1/48 scale? Every model kit ever now on shelves

Old March 7th 12, 11:39 AM posted to sci.space.history
GordonD

Default Mercury Redstone in 1/48 scale? Every model kit ever now on shelves

"B0b Mosley" wrote in message
On Feb 27, 6:36 pm, "GordonD" wrote:
"B0b Mosley" wrote in message

The CSM/LM is definitely a kit - I have one. The other stuff is
pre-assembled but the rumour is that it will be released in kit form
later.
How accurate that part is...

....Hmm. I may have to look at Dragon's stuff a bit closer now. I'd
always heard their products were pre-assembled and pre-detailed, with
the latter making it more of a hassle to add additional detail and
make other corrections without having to strip the "kit" down first.
If I have to do all that much work, I'd rather start out from scratch.
But since you've mentioned it, how do the quality of the parts compare
to most of the other kits of the CSM/LM stacks we've seen over the
years? Granted, they've got to beat the Revell toolings all to hell by
the simple fact that the CSM stack is all Block II, but what about
crispness of the moldings as well as accuracy? And was this styrene,
resin, or a mixed-media kit?

OM

Completely styrene. They use a process called slide moulding which lets them
produce the Command Module shell and the SPS bell in one piece, so no nasty
seams. The only drawback is that there are no window openings so if you open
them up you'd have to scratchbuild the interior. Also the breakdown of parts
for the Service Module is a little odd - this appears to be because they're
planning a cutaway version down the line sometime.

Here are a couple of reviews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nN4AIZBEfY (1/72 Mercury-Redstone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZkMxPgrjmc (1/72 Gemini spacecraft)
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."

Old March 7th 12, 11:41 AM posted to sci.space.history
GordonD

"B0b Mosley" wrote in message

[...]

Correction to the above - the Apollo kit includes four photo-etch parts
representing the dishes on the main antenna. But other than that it's
injection-moulded styrene all the way.

Old March 7th 12, 12:10 PM posted to sci.space.history
B0b Mosley

On Mar 7, 4:39*am, "GordonD" wrote:

Completely styrene. They use a process called slide moulding which lets them
produce the Command Module shell and the SPS bell in one piece, so no nasty
seams. The only drawback is that there are no window openings so if you open
them up you'd have to scratchbuild the interior. Also the breakdown of parts
for the Service Module is a little odd - this appears to be because they're
planning a cutaway version down the line sometime.

....Yeah, it's my understanding that while they're not planning a CM
interior kit, the SIM bay add-ons are coming. No doubt New Wave will
show up with a CM interior shortly, which will no doubt include a
replacement shell - or at least a 1/4 transparent side like the
Revellogram CSM kit just so you can see the inside detail.

Here are a couple of reviews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nN4AIZBEfY*(1/72 Mercury-Redstone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZkMxPgrjmc*(1/72 Gemini spacecraft)

....Jay Chladek's reviews are always fun to watch, as he covers pretty
much all you need to know about the kit in question, as well as
hitting the biting questions as to "why the hell did they *do* -
that-???"

OM