Jupiter's moons

Old August 8th 05, 09:24 PM
MilesG

Default Jupiter's moons

I am extremely amateur and new to this ng. About 6/7 yrs ago I was in a
part of S France where the stars are very clear, and was idly looking
one night through my 8 x 30 binoculars when I noticed something
different about one of the brighter objects in the sky. It had extra
features, clearly discernable, and turned out to be Jupiter, 5 moons
clearly visible spread on each side, about 260-80 degrees. On my return
to the UK, the spectacle was just as awesome (quite low in the SE sky),
but despite searching from time to time I have never seen such a display
again. Am I looking in the wrong place, or has Jupiter disappeared for a
while? Was there something special about that year (and I'm sorry I
can't be more precise about which year it was)?
Miles
Old August 8th 05, 10:12 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 20:24:46 +0000 (UTC), MilesG
wrote:

I am extremely amateur and new to this ng. About 6/7 yrs ago I was in a
part of S France where the stars are very clear, and was idly looking
one night through my 8 x 30 binoculars when I noticed something
different about one of the brighter objects in the sky. It had extra
features, clearly discernable, and turned out to be Jupiter, 5 moons
clearly visible spread on each side, about 260-80 degrees. On my return
to the UK, the spectacle was just as awesome (quite low in the SE sky),
but despite searching from time to time I have never seen such a display
again. Am I looking in the wrong place, or has Jupiter disappeared for a
while? Was there something special about that year (and I'm sorry I
can't be more precise about which year it was)?

You can see four of Jupiter's moons with binoculars, and the obvious
fact that the planet is a disk. If your eyes are good you can just pick
out a hint of surface detail. In 8x30 binoculars, everything will be in
a small area in the center of the view. If that sounds like what you
saw, you should be able to do so again. Jupiter is in the sky right now,
setting a couple of hours after sunset. You can't see five moons, but
you might have had a star in the field when you saw this.

Key to seeing detail with such a small object is holding the binoculars
very steady- something like a tripod is a good idea. Tomorrow night
Jupiter will be very close to the Moon- you can't miss it.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old August 8th 05, 10:36 PM
MilesG

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your advice Chris. I'll look out for it. Yes, I did need
something to keep the binoculars steady - the birdtable, which was the
perfect height.
Miles

Old August 8th 05, 11:20 PM
Llanzlan Klazmon

MilesG wrote in news:dd8f2e$f8l
:

[...]

Easy enough to find Jupiter at present. Look West immediately after
sunset. Venus and Jupiter are visible with the moon currently between
the two. Tomorrow, the moon will appear close to Jupiter. BTW it is
possible to see four moons with the binoculars you mentioned (provided
they are separated from Jupiter's disk at the time. The fifth "moon"
you saw may have been a star that chanced to be in the field of view.

Klazmon.
Old August 8th 05, 11:28 PM
MilesG

Easy enough to find Jupiter at present. Look West immediately after
sunset. Venus and Jupiter are visible with the moon currently between
the two. Tomorrow, the moon will appear close to Jupiter. BTW it is
possible to see four moons with the binoculars you mentioned (provided
they are separated from Jupiter's disk at the time. The fifth "moon"
you saw may have been a star that chanced to be in the field of view.

Thanks for your help Klazmon.
Miles

Old August 9th 05, 07:42 AM
CLT

Hi Miles,

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing...cle_1220_1.asp will let
you create a star chart for your area and time.

The left hand column has "OBSERVING" which expands to links on what is
happening that week, observing highlights and the sky chart referenced
above. The "Sky at a glance" will tell you a little about each planet's
current visibility.

Jupiter is available every year, but not all year long. Currently it is easy
to find and the S&T site will point you to it.

May I also recommend the moon as a target for binos?

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?

To reply, remove Delete and change period com to period net
************************************************** ************

Old August 9th 05, 09:22 AM
MilesG

"CLT" wrote in message
Hi Miles,

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing...cle_1220_1.asp will let
you create a star chart for your area and time.

The left hand column has "OBSERVING" which expands to links on what is
happening that week, observing highlights and the sky chart referenced
above. The "Sky at a glance" will tell you a little about each planet's
current visibility.

Jupiter is available every year, but not all year long. Currently it is
easy
to find and the S&T site will point you to it.

May I also recommend the moon as a target for binos?

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?

Thanks Chuck. That star chart is so helpful, as is the whole site.
Miles