Astro Photo tutorial for Digital SLR?

Old July 29th 05, 03:14 AM
Mike W.

Default Astro Photo tutorial for Digital SLR?

Hi everyone... sorry about the elementary post, but...

I just got a digital Rebel XT8 and would love to combine my astronomy
hobby and my photography hobby. Are there any websites or books anyone
would recommed for a quick jumpstart. I realize I wont be takin
hubble-ish pictures, but I'd like to get a few teasers in my collection
before stepping back and taking the years required to actually make
great pics.

Thanks.
Old July 29th 05, 06:17 AM
Jim w

Mike,

Check out Robert Reeves new book "Introduction to Digital
Astrophotography". It is just what you are looking for.
Here is a link to the Author's site: http://www.robertreeves.com

Have fun,

Jim Windlinger

Old July 29th 05, 12:27 PM
Rob Johnson

"Mike W." wrote:
I just got a digital Rebel XT8 and would love to combine my astronomy
hobby and my photography hobby. Are there any websites or books anyone
would recommed for a quick jumpstart. I realize I wont be takin
hubble-ish pictures, but I'd like to get a few teasers in my collection
before stepping back and taking the years required to actually make
great pics.

An excellent site for an introduction to astrophotography and the use of
Photoshop, although the tips are not limited only to Photoshop, is Jerry
Lodriguss's Catching the Light at http://www.astropix.com/.

Rob Johnson
take out the trash before replying
Old July 30th 05, 07:18 PM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W.
Hi everyone... sorry about the elementary post, but...

I just got a digital Rebel XT8 and would love to combine my astronomy
hobby and my photography hobby. Are there any websites or books anyone
would recommed for a quick jumpstart. I realize I wont be takin
hubble-ish pictures, but I'd like to get a few teasers in my collection
before stepping back and taking the years required to actually make
great pics.

Thanks.
Sorry Mike - reply to wrong msg !

Nytecam

Last edited by nytecam : July 31st 05 at 09:34 AM. Reason: reply to wrong msg!
Old August 1st 05, 11:11 PM
Jeff

Mike W. wrote:
Hi everyone... sorry about the elementary post, but...

I just got a digital Rebel XT8 and would love to combine my astronomy
hobby and my photography hobby. Are there any websites or books anyone
would recommed for a quick jumpstart. I realize I wont be takin
hubble-ish pictures, but I'd like to get a few teasers in my collection
before stepping back and taking the years required to actually make
great pics.

Thanks.

Mike,
Canon actually do a guide to astrophotography using their digital cameras:

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/astro/index-e.html

Might be a good place to start?

Best Wishes,

Jeff
Old August 9th 05, 08:54 PM
Alen K

Mike W. wrote:

I just got a digital Rebel XT8 and would love to combine my astronomy
hobby and my photography hobby. Are there any websites or books anyone
would recommed for a quick jumpstart. I realize I wont be takin
hubble-ish pictures, but I'd like to get a few teasers in my collection
before stepping back and taking the years required to actually make
great pics.

There's a three-part article about astrophotography with digital SLRs
being published in an online newsletter I edit. Parts 1 and 2 are out,
in the Spring 2005 and Summer 2005 issues respectively. Part 3 is
expected in the Fall issue. Download the issues from he

http://cobalt.golden.net/~kwastro/Newsletter.htm