Spirits Latest Images

Old January 8th 04, 10:37 PM
Elysium Fossa

Default Spirits Latest Images

Have the large colour images that have been coming down from Spirit been
compressed to make the file sizes smaller?

They seem very soft, not like the colour pics we have from Pathfinder where
you can see a temendous amount of fine textural detail in the soil and socks
that are close to the lander. That seems missing from the Spirit images.

e.g.
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/rove...ons/image-2.ht
ml

Old January 8th 04, 10:50 PM
Michael Anthony

That image and several others are crops of much larger images. You need to
find the source images that are much higher resolution, eg.
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...a/PIA04995.jpg
(8MB)
and
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...color_panorama
_sol6-A6R1_med.jpg (4MB)

These are good pages to start from:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/images.html
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html

--
Michael Anthony

Old January 9th 04, 04:43 AM
Bill Cherepy

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:37:15 -0000, "Elysium Fossa"
wrote:

Have the large colour images that have been coming down from Spirit been
compressed to make the file sizes smaller?

They seem very soft, not like the colour pics we have from Pathfinder where
you can see a temendous amount of fine textural detail in the soil and socks
that are close to the lander. That seems missing from the Spirit images.

I just downloaded the high res image PIA05015.tif and it's 67.51
megabytes big.

Bill Cherepy
Grayson, GA

Old January 9th 04, 07:53 AM
Michael Anthony

"Bill Cherepy" wrote in message
I just downloaded the high res image PIA05015.tif
and it's 67.51 megabytes big.

I couldn't tell the difference between the hi-res TIFF and the corresponding
JPEG. I have a suspicion that NASA convert what they have to TIFF just to
put the image in a lossless format after-the-fact.

--
Michael Anthony