Letterman Gets Sirius

Old November 19th 04, 08:41 PM
Sam Wormley

Default Letterman Gets Sirius

John Steinberg wrote:
Howard Stern was on Letterman last night promoting his new venture with
Sirius Satellite Radio.

At one point in the interview Dave cut Howard off to ask him if he knew
what Sirius meant? Howard sort of danced around the question, but Dave
identified Sirius as the brightest visible star after our sun.

Is Dave a closet astrogeek? Did Johnny pass on his 'scope?

Sirius minds want to know.

John--Do you remember any of the 23 times that Johnny had Carl Sagan
on the Tonight Show?
-Sam

Old November 19th 04, 09:19 PM
Sam Wormley

John Steinberg wrote:
Sam Wormley wrote:

John--Do you remember any of the 23 times that Johnny had Carl Sagan
on the Tonight Show?

I do recall at least a few of his appearances, Sam, although I can't
recall anything specific per se. Although I do have a vague notion of
seeing him not long before his untimely passing. He was painfully thin
and frail looking.

Was he really on 23x?

What a media whore.

Kidding!

Carl Sagan, author, teacher, advocate, enthusiast and scientist is in
my personal pantheon of great minds.

The twenty three appearances were spread over twenty years... and, like you,
I don't remember any specifics, but I remember my mom being impressed by
Carl's vision and excitement in earlier years.

Old November 19th 04, 11:42 PM
Paul S. Walsh

Hey, Pop, are they talking about my Uncle Carl?

-Junior

--
-John Steinberg
email: lid

Old November 20th 04, 07:41 AM
Paul S. Walsh

Does this have anything to do with what Mom calls her husband's animalry?

Junior wrote:

Hey, Pop, are they talking about my Uncle Carl?

Blast, I *knew* I should have demanded a paternity test.

--
-Pops

Old November 20th 04, 11:58 AM
Stephen Paul

"John Steinberg" wrote in message
Howard Stern was on Letterman last night promoting his new venture with
Sirius Satellite Radio.

At one point in the interview Dave cut Howard off to ask him if he knew
what Sirius meant? Howard sort of danced around the question, but Dave
identified Sirius as the brightest visible star after our sun.

Is Dave a closet astrogeek? Did Johnny pass on his 'scope?

Sirius minds want to know.

I understand Dave to have been a meteorologist in his previous career. Don't
most of them know something about stars?

Old November 20th 04, 12:58 PM
Howard Lester

"Stephen Paul" wrote

I understand Dave to have been a meteorologist in his previous career.

Don't
most of them know something about stars?

He "did the weather" on an Indiana tv station. TV meteorologists/weather
guys here in Tucson know just enough to be dangerous. Translation: just
about every time they announce an astronomical event, they get some part of
it wrong.

Howard

Old November 20th 04, 01:37 PM
Stephen Paul

"Howard Lester" wrote in message

"Stephen Paul" wrote

I understand Dave to have been a meteorologist in his previous career.

He "did the weather" on an Indiana tv station.

At the very least, I'll bet it was entertaining. g

Old November 20th 04, 02:11 PM
Len Philpot

In article , spaul219
@hotmail.com says...

I understand Dave to have been a meteorologist in his previous career.

He "did the weather" on an Indiana tv station.

At the very least, I'll bet it was entertaining. g

I remember seeing one little clip where he noticed a missing line
between two states on a map and turned that into a commentary on how
the states had apparently joined and made a new one. Kinda funny in a
brief way.

--

-- Len Philpot - --
------ -----
Old November 20th 04, 03:49 PM
Pat O'Connell

Stephen Paul wrote:
"Howard Lester" wrote in message

"Stephen Paul" wrote

I understand Dave to have been a meteorologist in his previous career.

He "did the weather" on an Indiana tv station.

At the very least, I'll bet it was entertaining. g

Yup--I lived in Indy then.

--
Pat O'Connell
[note munged EMail address]
Old November 20th 04, 04:27 PM
David G. Nagel

Stephen Paul wrote:

"John Steinberg" wrote in message

Howard Stern was on Letterman last night promoting his new venture with
Sirius Satellite Radio.

At one point in the interview Dave cut Howard off to ask him if he knew
what Sirius meant? Howard sort of danced around the question, but Dave
identified Sirius as the brightest visible star after our sun.

Is Dave a closet astrogeek? Did Johnny pass on his 'scope?

Sirius minds want to know.

I understand Dave to have been a meteorologist in his previous career. Don't
most of them know something about stars?

Back in the late sixties Dave was the weatherman for channel 13 WISH in
Indianapolis IN while he was in college. As soon as he graduated he
bailed out for Hollywood.

Dave Nagel