More ET foam woes

Old December 2nd 05, 04:15 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

Default More ET foam woes

Cracks on the PAL ramp.

Pat
Old December 2nd 05, 04:21 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

If the foam is a continuing problem, we need to get rid of it.

Water and ice are viable payloads, take it to orbit.

http://cosmic.lifeform.org

Old December 2nd 05, 05:51 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
.. .
So if the flight is delayed until next fall, that means that we'll be
spending several billion dollars per flight for it and the previous
one.

They should either fly it now, or retire it, but stop wasting all this
money in a futile attempt to make it "safe."

I still have mixed feelings about this, because I still support ISS
"completion" so that it can be used for something useful, beyond proving
that two or three astronauts are needed for full time maintenance. Killing
the shuttle now effectively kills ISS.

Jeff

Old December 2nd 05, 06:07 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

If the foam is a continuing problem, we need to get rid of it.

Water and ice are viable payloads, take it to orbit.

Ahh thats what breaks off and damages the TPS

Remove the foam the load by ice and cold loss.... Vehicle will never
get off the ground

Ground shuttle permanetely, fast track CEV and heavy lifter, use soyuz
progress to continue ISS. Keep the workers not retiring on the payroll
somehow.

If it takes too long deorbit existing iSS and send grounded modules on
heavy lifter too NEW station in a better orbital location!

Old December 2nd 05, 07:22 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:15:31 -0600, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Cracks on the PAL ramp.

Old December 2nd 05, 11:38 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

Jeff Findley wrote:

I still support ISS "completion" so that it can be used for something useful,

This probably sounds snarky, sorry, but is just meant as a
straightforward question:

What useful things, as specifically as possible, is the "completed"
ISS supposed to be used for?

Old December 3rd 05, 02:02 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

Jake McGuire wrote:
wrote:
Jeff Findley wrote:

I still support ISS "completion" so that it can be used for something useful,

This probably sounds snarky, sorry, but is just meant as a
straightforward question:

What useful things, as specifically as possible, is the "completed"
ISS supposed to be used for?

1) On-orbit testing/qualification of subcomponents intended for use in
zero-G.

Except many on them are russian and already qualified. And any others
could be much easily and cheaply qualified on Russian launchers.

2) Further characterizing the influence of zero-G on humans.

Dont need to. The russians have already down this to death.

3) Determining effectiveness of remedies to the negative effects of
zero-G.

Nope..None planned nor even theorised except rotation. Something
documented by the russians almost a century ago.
4) Characterizing the effects of partial G on living organisms (but I
think the CAM is dead.)

Already done by the russians.

The only purpose of the ISS is to utilise Russian knowhow to build a
station so that NASA can pretend to the US people that their actually
capable of it. Sure there is some american involvement hence why its
over budget and a joke.

I wouldnt mind betting if the recent rumours of a joint Russian/Chinese
space station come to fruition that it will be up and running well
before ISS is even fully operational. As a European administrator said
recently, ISS is nothing more than a PR stunt and a poor one at that.

Old December 3rd 05, 03:12 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

"tobarn" wrote in
oups.com:

Jake McGuire wrote:
wrote:
Jeff Findley wrote:

I still support ISS "completion" so that it can be used for
something useful,

This probably sounds snarky, sorry, but is just meant as a
straightforward question:

What useful things, as specifically as possible, is the
"completed" ISS supposed to be used for?

1) On-orbit testing/qualification of subcomponents intended for use
in zero-G.

Except many on them are russian and already qualified. And any others
could be much easily and cheaply qualified on Russian launchers.

Incorrect. Many of those systems tend to break down on a regular basis in
LEO, requiring regular Progress resupply missions to provide spare parts
and replacement units. Use those systems on a Mars mission and you are
dead, dead, dead.

2) Further characterizing the influence of zero-G on humans.

Dont need to. The russians have already down this to death.

Incorrect. The Russians have a nasty cultural tendency to
compartmentalize information and not write things down. Their on-orbit
experiments suffer from a limited sample population (all Slavic males
within a narrow age range) and their experimental controls are non-
existent (e.g. on experiments on the effects of exercise, the
experimental group and the control group will have different diets,
making it impossible to isolate the effects of exercise from the effects
of diet). And just try to find any peer-reviewed papers documenting their
findings. They have lots of experience, sure, but without the proper
experimental rigor and documentation, they may as well not have bothered.

3) Determining effectiveness of remedies to the negative effects of
zero-G.

Nope..None planned nor even theorised except rotation. Something
documented by the russians almost a century ago.

Incorrect. If you think otherwise, show me the peer-reviewed papers.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.