Koelle: Saturn retrospective

Old June 22nd 05, 11:31 AM
Dale

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 04:53:24 -0500, "Revision" wrote:

Whatever. The Japanese are asses for hunting whales to extinction and
are no different than other Asians in their complete disregard for the
environment if it comes between them and their preferred snack.

Ditto the similarly weak-charactered Chinese for slaughtering tigers,
rhinos, and who knows what else to make aphrodisiacs so they can have a
hard pecker while bedding some ugly whore.

There are many people in Japan and China doing their best to protect
endangered species.

I doubt you would want to blindly generalize when talking about space
history. It's not a wise thing to do when talking about people, either.

Dale
Old June 22nd 05, 02:28 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2005-06-21, OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote:
On 21 Jun 2005 12:27:56 GMT, Andrew Gray
wrote:

Some of the less booster-involved history is a bit shaky - a favourite
is the line "The first Apollo mission was performed in December 1958,
with a flight around the Moon by Col.Frank Borman and his crew, in spite
of all these problems." - but on the whole it seems solid enough.

...That's more a typo than a lapse of memory. Blame the proofreader,
not the author.

It's possible it's a translation anyway. I noticed the tyop, which made
me smile, but I wouldn't have quoted it had it not managed to shoehorn a
mistake into the same line...

--
-Andrew Gray

Old June 22nd 05, 02:49 PM
Herb Schaltegger

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:28:58 -0500, Andrew Gray wrote
(in article ):

t's possible it's a translation anyway. I noticed the tyop,

Irony or merely humor there, Andrew? ;-)

--
Herb Schaltegger, GPG Key ID: BBF6FC1C
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old June 22nd 05, 02:55 PM
Henry Spencer

Revision wrote:
Whatever. The Japanese are asses for hunting whales to extinction and
are no different than other Asians in their complete disregard for the
environment if it comes between them and their preferred snack.

Unlike North Americans... who care deeply for the environment unless they
want to use that land for a golf course or a housing development, in which
case it's endangered species be damned.

We won't mention the passenger pigeon, which by and large was eaten, or
the whooping crane.

Ditto the similarly weak-charactered Chinese for slaughtering tigers,
rhinos, and who knows what else to make aphrodisiacs...

The North American beaver was hunted nearly to extinction to make hats.

Then there was the matter of the buffalo.

Not to mention the extermination of *human* populations whose only crime
was to be occupying land that recent European immigrants wanted. "Indians
have a perfect right to live in Ohio, except oops, we killed them all."

Yup, sure took strength of character to do all that.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old June 22nd 05, 02:59 PM
OM

On 22 Jun 2005 13:28:58 GMT, Andrew Gray
wrote:

It's possible it's a translation anyway. I noticed the tyop, which made
me smile, but I wouldn't have quoted it had it not managed to shoehorn a
mistake into the same line...

....Then again, there are those at NASA who probably wished A7 had not
happened, considering the problems with the crew :-P

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old June 22nd 05, 03:14 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2005-06-22, Herb Schaltegger wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:28:58 -0500, Andrew Gray wrote
(in article ):

t's possible it's a translation anyway. I noticed the tyop,

Irony or merely humor there, Andrew? ;-)

It's an intentional sacrifice to the Pedantry Rule...

--
-Andrew Gray

Old June 22nd 05, 06:10 PM
Herb Schaltegger

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:55:53 -0500, Henry Spencer wrote
(in article ):

Then there was the matter of the buffalo.

Bison.

Do I get a shirt? :-p

Old June 22nd 05, 06:27 PM

I would assume he means the signature line: "Boycott JAP
whale-killers", OM. It's kind of obvious from his surname, and the form
of his comment. Although, personally, I don't see how 'Jap' is a RACIAL
slur when it refers to a nationality and is just a shortened form of
what is used formally internationally. It's not like 'kike' or
'wetback', which are MEANT to insulting from their very start. Maybe
it's analogous to the Siam/Thailand business or Persia/Iran, where the
modern governments told the rest of the world to call them what they
had been calling themselves for centuries. However, if that's the case,
we'd have to dump most geographical names older than a couple of
centuries, such as Africa, Asia, America, Israel, Britain, Egypt,
Russia, China, etc.

I'm sorry, Matt. Perhaps I'm not being sensitive enough to someone who
has experienced racism first hand. I've never been in the position of
visiting somewhere where the majority of the people have skin a
different color than mine, or speak a radically different language. But
I have seen that some people will hate others for the least excuse,
whether it's one of the above, or the color of one's eyes or how tall a
person is. Until we solve that problem, what we CALL each other is
prety far down the list of reasons to get ****ed off at people,
especially when we're sharing a common interest here.

Old June 22nd 05, 08:03 PM
Henry Spencer

Herb Schaltegger wrote:
Then there was the matter of the buffalo.

Bison.
Do I get a shirt? :-p

Nope. :-) For one thing, it's distinctly not spaceflight-related! For
another, although it's biologically incorrect to call the North American
critters buffalo -- buffalo and bison technically are two different kinds
of animal, and there are no New World buffalo, at least not in historic
times -- it *is* common usage, to the point that there are derived forms,
e.g. "buffalo grass", which don't have "bison" equivalents.