Huygens probe terrain generation

Old January 15th 05, 05:01 PM
KJD

Default Huygens probe terrain generation

Hi, I ran some of the images from the Titan probe through a terrain
generation program. The results are quite cool. The source images were a bit
noisy and so I had to preprocess them a little in Photoshop. I also had to
guess to a degree about the colours although the one probe colour picture
helped a lot. Anyway if you want to look at the screenshots and/or download
T2 to examine the 3D terrain results see the page he
http://www.toymaker.info/html/texgen.html. You can walk about on top of it.

I am sure it is fairly inaccurate as I had to guess a lot. I would be
interested in what people think. The relative heights were difficult as was
the colours but hopefully with more images coming in soon I can improve on
it.

Old January 16th 05, 03:45 PM
David L. Harris

In article , KJD
.com wrote:

examine the 3D terrain results see the page he
http://www.toymaker.info/html/texgen.html.

Inclusion of the period in the URL produces when clicked upon:

Not Found
The requested URL /html/texgen.html. was not found on this server.

Take out the period and get the panoramas.

Old January 17th 05, 08:18 AM
John Smith

KJD wrote:
I am sure it is fairly inaccurate as I had to guess a lot. I would be
interested in what people think.

It looked pretty neat. Nice one.
Old January 17th 05, 09:42 PM
Kent Paul Dolan

"John Smith" wrote:

KJD wrote:
I am sure it is fairly inaccurate as I had to guess a lot. I would be
interested in what people think.

It looked pretty neat. Nice one.

Ditto here, but also a relayed comment:

When I passed along the URL independent of your
writeup, I got back: looks like the author has
exaggerated the vertical extent.

Which started me thinking about a bunch of stuff,
none of it necessarily correct... . With a surface
composition which is probably just a crusty slush of
what the atmosphere contains, and perhaps not too
different in density from the lower atmosphere, and
with lower surface gravity than Earth, and factoring
in the probable low mechanical strengths of the
solid parts of Titan's surface, and that the surface
creation forces are likely to be quite active (think
of Io's volcanos from the heating effect of
Jupiter's tidal pull) just what kind of vertical
relief _would_ be reasonable to expect on Titan?

Or is that part of the upcoming "scientific results
after several years of data analysis" and now too
soon for speculating?

xanthian.

Old January 18th 05, 03:59 PM
Henry Spencer

In article lgate.org,
Kent Paul Dolan wrote:
...and that the surface
creation forces are likely to be quite active (think
of Io's volcanos from the heating effect of
Jupiter's tidal pull)...

The parallel between Titan and Io is weak. In particular, Titan has *not*
experienced runaway tidal melting of its interior.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old January 19th 05, 03:29 PM
KJD

"Kent Paul Dolan" wrote in message
news:f6837e151a64bf60357f67d4a8ed5939_48257@mygate .mailgate.org...
"John Smith" wrote:

KJD wrote:
I am sure it is fairly inaccurate as I had to guess a lot. I would be
interested in what people think.

It looked pretty neat. Nice one.

Ditto here, but also a relayed comment:

When I passed along the URL independent of your
writeup, I got back: looks like the author has
exaggerated the vertical extent.

I had no idea about the vertical extent and so had to guess There is a
slider on the mesh screen to scale the axis and I have found lowering that
down to about 5 give what is probably more accurate heights

Old January 19th 05, 10:06 PM
Earl Colby Pottinger

Just like to point out adding a period to the end of the URL messes up some
browsers. I had to remove it manually.

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
Old January 24th 05, 04:05 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Earl Colby Pottinger" wrote in message
Just like to point out adding a period to the end of the URL messes up

some
browsers. I had to remove it manually.

Which is sort of ironic since for the domain name section of a URL it's
actually the TLD. But everything pretty much assumes it and ignores it.

(Did have one site though that was (by mistake) that gave different pages
for www.foo.com and www.foo.com. :-)