Learn How to Become an Expert Stargazer

Old September 25th 15, 10:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Default Learn How to Become an Expert Stargazer

On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 7:33:44 PM UTC+1, LdB wrote:
There was an interesting full page add in Sky and Tel this month.
Learn How to Become an Expert Stargazer. It's on sale now for $44.95.
However there's no mention of Video or Near Live Viewing with modern
equipment. No wonder they lowered the price. I would be surprised if
they were able to give it away.

There is no mention of the book on any online marketplace but I imagine it is the same celestial sphere/ telescope exercise that now constitutes 'astronomy'. One thing you all share with the creationists is bypassing the actual references for rotation and orbital motion in a rush to adopt a celestial sphere and a rotation of the Earth once in 23 hours 56 minutes -

http://www.amazon.com/Stargazers-Gui.../dp/0890516413

If they are such people as 'traditionalists' you are referring to RA/Dec observers as a cult group that grew out of the late 17th century notion that they proved that the Earth rotates at a constant rate using a watch and circumpolar motion. This effectively kills astronomy or shoves it into an identification exercise using the calendar system with theoretical riff-raff exploiting the damage for their own ends.

In other words, you and your imaginary opponents are different sides of the same celestial sphere coin hence the difference doesn't really exist.
Old September 25th 15, 10:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Friday, 25 September 2015 05:17:35 UTC-4, oriel36 wrote:
[...]

Could be one of those God-awful "self-published" things on Amazon or some other huckster site.
Old September 25th 15, 07:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 5:39:46 AM UTC-4, RichA wrote:

Could be one of those God-awful "self-published" things on Amazon or some other huckster site.

Even LsD doesn't appear to have read the book (or is it a video?) It would be best to reserve judgement until one reads it.
Old September 26th 15, 03:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 12:26:32 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 5:39:46 AM UTC-4, RichA wrote:

Could be one of those God-awful "self-published" things on Amazon or some
other huckster site.

Even LsD doesn't appear to have read the book (or is it a video?) It would
be best to reserve judgement until one reads it.

A Google search has revealed that a work by that title was advertised for sale
in Popular Mechanics as far back as 2011.

It's a 12-lecture course, taught by Professor Edward M. Murphy at the
University of Virginia.

I think I remember seeing something similar for art appreciation; booklets plus
audio cassettes.

John Savard
Old September 26th 15, 05:38 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

RichA:
Could be one of those God-awful "self-published" things on Amazon or some
other huckster site.

Like the god-awful, dismal failure, self-published book "The Martian?"

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old September 26th 15, 09:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Astronomy can be the most challenging endeavor of them all yet it can reduce down to stargazing if that is all the person can manage, so the celestial is large enough to occupy those who need the challenge which match their curiosity and interest or local enough to sit on a fence and look out at the stars for no other reason than they are gorgeous,old and intimate.

The celestial arena is inspirational and humanity is meant to match that inspirational atmosphere like a mutual kiss between the individual and the Universal.

I so admire people who really try to surmount any personal limitations as opposed to those who offer nothing -

http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/ne...lon_challenge/
Old September 26th 15, 02:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Is this part of the Great Courses series? I found a title called "Our Night Sky" by Murphy.
Old September 26th 15, 04:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 7:03:36 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Is this part of the Great Courses series? I found a title called "Our
Night Sky" by Murphy.

That's basically what I suspect at this point. I haven't verified it yet.

John Savard
Old September 26th 15, 05:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 7:03:36 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Is this part of the Great Courses series? I found a title called "Our
Night Sky" by Murphy.

In fact it is. Now looking at the ad in its original format, I found
that an advertisement *for* "Our Night Sky" by Murphy had (as the
heading of the ad, not the title of the course) the words "Learn How
to Become an Expert Stargazer".

The 2011 ad offered the course, number 1846, on a set of DVDs holding
12 lectures, each 30 minutes in length. The price was now $39.95,
indicated as marked down from $199.95 - plus $5 shipping and handling.

John Savard