Living on the Moon

Old May 24th 09, 07:22 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest

Default Living on the Moon

We're supposed to have spaceships full of four men each traveling to the
Moon in about ten years. All four men would land, and apparently technology
will take care of the mothership.

Anyway, suppose we then build homes on the Moon.

Would astronauts be in trouble, living for months or even years under
a 1/6 g? Would our skeletons be stretched, and would we get out
of shape maybe?

Or is there a way to solve this?

Maybe to live on the Moon, we could do what we do with the future
rotation space station, and build a rotating lunar home, giving the effect
of 1g.

Since the Moon would already be giving this rotating lunar home some of its
gravity, its floor may have to be tilted, until just the right amount of
gravity is achieved.

We would have to enter and exit from a platform in the middle, and a turret
walkway would have to extend from there to the stationary lunar surface.

What do you think?

Can it be done?

Old May 24th 09, 08:03 AM posted to alt.astronomy
namekuseijin

On May 24, 3:22*am, "Mark Earnest" wrote:
We're supposed to have spaceships full of four men each traveling to the
Moon in about ten years. *All four men would land, and apparently technology
will take care of the mothership.

Anyway, suppose we then build homes on the Moon.

Would astronauts be in trouble, living for months or even years under
a 1/6 g? *Would our skeletons be stretched, and would we get out
of shape maybe?

I'd be more worried with the lack of atmosphere. I mean, radiation
and meteoroids anyone? Why even build homes there and see them
demolished in a few months by constant impacts?

Our moon is pretty useless except as a shield I guess. Maybe I'm just
showing my ignorance.
Old May 24th 09, 08:43 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest

"namekuseijin" wrote in message
On May 24, 3:22 am, "Mark Earnest" wrote:
We're supposed to have spaceships full of four men each traveling to the
Moon in about ten years. All four men would land, and apparently
technology
will take care of the mothership.

Anyway, suppose we then build homes on the Moon.

Would astronauts be in trouble, living for months or even years under
a 1/6 g? Would our skeletons be stretched, and would we get out
of shape maybe?

I'd be more worried with the lack of atmosphere. I mean, radiation
and meteoroids anyone? Why even build homes there and see them
demolished in a few months by constant impacts?

**I don't think there's enough meteoroids to worry about, since we still
have our space station and Hubbel after a good many years.

**Ditto radiation.

**And if it gets real bad with meteors and radiation notwithstanding, we
could always build the home structures and/or lunar base underground.

**And give us a few more years, and we will have the capacity to break
apart meteors before they strike with advanced gunnery.

Our moon is pretty useless except as a shield I guess. Maybe I'm just
showing my ignorance.

**You're thinking, so you are not ignorant.

Old May 24th 09, 01:31 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Mark Men would be placed in a centrifuge machine to exercise in. Still
with less gravity no need for $25,000,000 toilets,but where to dump ****
is the big problem. Best to keep in mind "Indoor plumbing is man's
greatest invention Trebert

Old May 24th 09, 02:24 PM posted to alt.astronomy
BradGuth

On May 23, 11:22*pm, "Mark Earnest" wrote:
[...]

1) living within the moon should be technically doable.

2) as is, we can't manage to get folks safely to/from our moon as is.

3) either way, not on my nickle.

4) make it a profitable kind of thing, and then we can talk.

5) our moon can become a profitable thing, especially of using its L1.

~ BG
Old May 24th 09, 03:13 PM posted to alt.astronomy
BradGuth

On May 24, 5:31*am, (G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote:
Mark *Men would be placed in a centrifuge machine to exercise in. *Still
with less gravity no need for $25,000,000 toilets,but where to dump ****
is the big problem. Best to keep in mind "Indoor plumbing is man's
greatest invention * * Trebert

One day/night cycle within that badly irradiated plus extreme vacuum
would make all human **** (including whole bodies worth) freeze dried,
otherwise boiled and evaporated crystal dry and otherwise absolutely
sterile enough to be reused for it's mineral content. Try to remember
that even plain old water released in that near instantly roasting
daytime lunar environment of such terrific vacuum would be explosive.

~ BG
Old May 25th 09, 12:02 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest

"BradGuth" wrote in message
[...]

*Sure it is. We could even grow crops and cattle there, when the cow of
folklore actually could jump over the Moon.

2) as is, we can't manage to get folks safely to/from our moon as is.

*It would be easy, just as soon as we design jet/rocket aircraft that could
get masses of people into space for peanuts. Then we could send millions of
people to colonize the Moon, and take off some of the burden of this fastly
overpopulating world.

3) either way, not on my nickle.

*If you had a choice between retiring in Acapulco, or on a luxury resort on
the Far Side of the Moon, seeing the ends of the universe through collosal
telescopes, which would you pick?

4) make it a profitable kind of thing, and then we can talk.

*Real estate is always profitable. And we have not even begun to talk
about the mining profits.

5) our moon can become a profitable thing, especially of using its L1.

*Sure it can. L1?

Old May 25th 09, 12:07 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Mark Men would be placed in a centrifuge machine to exercise in. Still
with less gravity no need for $25,000,000 toilets,but where to dump ****
is the big problem. Best to keep in mind "Indoor plumbing is man's
greatest invention Trebert

Remember the Super Collider we almost built for our physicists toy, Bert?
We could make a Lunar Colony of the same design, the whole thing
rotating, to keep everyone in a comfortable 1g.

The only problem I can currently imagine is where we would get energy
during the 14 day night on the Moon.

Old May 25th 09, 12:15 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_3_]

On May 24, 5:31*am, (G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote:
Mark *Men would be placed in a centrifuge machine to exercise in. *Still
with less gravity no need for $25,000,000 toilets,but where to dump ****
is the big problem. Best to keep in mind "Indoor plumbing is man's
greatest invention * * Trebert

No problem with getting the sewage sucked out through the pipes!

Doublle-A

Old May 25th 09, 12:38 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_3_]

On May 23, 11:22*pm, "Mark Earnest" wrote:
We're supposed to have spaceships full of four men each traveling to the
Moon in about ten years. *All four men would land, and apparently technology
will take care of the mothership.

Anyway, suppose we then build homes on the Moon.

Why not domed cities?

Would astronauts be in trouble, living for months or even years under
a 1/6 g? *Would our skeletons be stretched, and would we get out
of shape maybe?

Just stop worrying and enjoy the leisurely low exertion living of a
low graviity environment while your body lasts.

Or is there a way to solve this?

Maybe to live on the Moon, we could do what we do with the future
rotation space station, and build a rotating lunar home, giving the effect
of 1g.

As you get older, when you get up to walk around you often feel aches
and pains, You might not feel these in a low G environment. How
nice! No Tylenol needed!

Since the Moon would already be giving this rotating lunar home some of its
gravity, its floor may have to be tilted, until just the right amount of
gravity is achieved.

We would have to enter and exit from a platform in the middle, and a turret
walkway would have to extend from there to the stationary lunar surface.

Like I was saying, low gravity could be a blessing. Don't try to
defeat it! Like my late friends who used to smoke three packs of
cigarettes a day used to say, "My life may be shorter, but I am
enjoying it more!"

What do you think?

Can it be done?

When a meteor puches a hole in the dome of one of the lunar domed
cities so that thousands of people's eyes bulge out and their blood
boils away, just treat is as a natural disaster, like an earthquake or
a hurricane on Earth.

Double-A