Ignoring large posts

Old August 13th 07, 11:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
L.A.T.

Default Ignoring large posts

It is easy enough to look at a post and if it is over, say, 3k, to ignore
it. It would be even easier if there was a newsreader that did it for you.
Is there one?

Old August 13th 07, 12:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Tom Hise

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:14:51 GMT, "L.A.T." wrote:

It is easy enough to look at a post and if it is over, say, 3k, to ignore
it. It would be even easier if there was a newsreader that did it for you.
Is there one?

Forté Agent lets you set a maximum body size for retrieval.

--
Tom Hise

Old August 13th 07, 04:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
DustyMars[_2_]

On Aug 13, 9:14 am, Bert Hyman wrote:
(L.A.T.) wrote :

It is easy enough to look at a post and if it is over, say, 3k, to
ignore it. It would be even easier if there was a newsreader that
did it for you. Is there one?

You appear to be using some variety of Windows, so try Xnews

http://xnews.newsguy.com/

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Let me ax ya this; can either newsreader mentioned here be used for
the Google news group?

Jeff

Old August 13th 07, 04:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
DustyMars[_2_]

(L.A.T.) wrote :

It is easy enough to look at a post and if it is over, say, 3k, to
ignore it. It would be even easier if there was a newsreader that
did it for you. Is there one?

You appear to be using some variety of Windows, so try Xnews

http://xnews.newsguy.com/

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Let me ax ya this; can either newsreader mentioned here be used for
the Google news group?

Jeff

Is this still SAA or did I venture onto some weird political group?
Time for a moderated thingie here.

Old August 13th 07, 04:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

snippage

Is this still SAA or did I venture onto some weird political group?
Time for a moderated thingie here.

It's still SAA, but it appears that some twit(s) are making a concerted
effort to kill it with junk. There is a moderated group, not on Usenet, run
by Martin Howell. Search around here, I know he's posted about it.

What I've been thinking about, though, is whether a new amateur astronomy
group can be created and added to the hierarchy of Usenet newsgroups. Some
place fresh, that will for a while at least, be relatively vermin free.

Related to this mess is something I've been wondering about for quite some
time now, which is why this group has attracted so many outright nuts,
stalkers, and related pests. I subscribe to three other Usenet groups, and
I don't see anywhere near the nonsense in them that I see here.

Old August 13th 07, 05:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

(L.A.T.) wrote :

It is easy enough to look at a post and if it is over, say, 3k, to
ignore it. It would be even easier if there was a newsreader that
did it for you. Is there one?

You appear to be using some variety of Windows, so try Xnews

http://xnews.newsguy.com/

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Let me ax ya this; can either newsreader mentioned here be used for
the Google news group?

Jeff

Is this still SAA or did I venture onto some weird political group?
Time for a moderated thingie here.

Hello,

Try Moderated sci.astro.amateur (www.moderatedsciastroamateur.org).
We have LOTS of members from this USENET sci.astro.amateur with over
280 posts. There are polls to vote in -- images are posted -- a forum
operated streaming radio connection -- a forum operated TV connection
with one of the channels available being a 24/7 live video/audio
stream from NASA control -- and a quirky little feature. . .a game
arcade of 200 games where members compete for #1 on the games.

JUST ADDED: A member map where members can "pin" their locations on a
country or world map. This one is GOOD.

I think you will like it. Hope to see you there!

---
Martin R. Howell