Gruesome question apollo 13

Old August 24th 04, 09:32 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2004-08-23, Scott Hedrick wrote:

"Charles Buckley" wrote in message
Now, there was the Donner party where someone suggested a scheme
of drawing lots.

One of my college classmates was descended from Packer. We made it clear
that we were inviting her *to* lunch....

I was delighted, when visiting Boulder, to find myself in the Alferd G.
Packer Memorial Cafeteria. Complete with a large mural on one wall,
depicting the great gastronome's travels.

--
-Andrew Gray

Old August 24th 04, 09:38 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2004-08-23, dave schneider wrote:

Ahh, but Kinise had a great line, although I seem to have purged it
from my PDA -- ABAICR, it begins "We're a million miles from home,
inside a giant face..."

IMDB tells us:

*
Jim McConnell : There's pressure in here.
Terri Fisher : Above Mars atmospheric? That's impossible.
Jim McConnell : We're millions of miles from Earth inside a giant white
face. What's impossible?
*

Vaguely remembering the careful job-title naming issues involved with
Gemini and Apollo, I also note they quote:

*
Luke Graham : Come on - three commanders. One ship. I don't think that's
gonna work. There's not enough rocket fuel in the world to get those
egos off the ground.
*

--
-Andrew Gray

Old August 27th 04, 03:54 PM
Rick DeNatale

On 2004-08-23, Scott Hedrick wrote:

"Charles Buckley" wrote in message
Now, there was the Donner party where someone suggested a scheme
of drawing lots.

One of my college classmates was descended from Packer. We made it clear
that we were inviting her *to* lunch....

I was delighted, when visiting Boulder, to find myself in the Alferd G.
Packer Memorial Cafeteria. Complete with a large mural on one wall,
depicting the great gastronome's travels.

Back in the mid-70s I spent quite a bit of time in Boulder working on an
IBM project. One of the engineers there was taking classes at Colorado.

Those were the days when everything was printed on a line printer on fan
fold paper with separator pages to identify the breaks between jobs.

I distinctly remember the separator pages as referring to Packer, and
having nice line printer art depicting a fork on the left, and a knife and
spoon on the right.
Old August 27th 04, 11:26 PM
EAC

(bob haller) wrote in message ...
If the consumables situation on 13 would of absolutely guaranteed 3 could not
survive but 2 would return safely do you think one member of the crew would of
done the unthinkable

Well... That depends on the attitudes of the crew, but generally, I
think that many if not most people would prefer to die together rather
than surviving with one of their own crewmember died by commiting
suicide to save them. Seeing your dead crewmember by your side is
really bad for the morale, and many if not most people don't want to
see that. Yes, it's a selfish thing of not wanting to see your
crewmember commiting suicide to save most of the crew, but hey that's
life, and that's what made life great (being selfish is so cool!
provided that it's really your own desire and not others).

Betcha you will see first a crewmember stunning unconcious another
crewmember who about to commit suicide for the 'greater good', rather
than a crewmember forcing another crew to commit suicide for the sake
of the crew / mission / humanity / and so on.

I apologize in advance for this question
but sadly one day someone may be faced
with just such a situation...

What to apologize? It's a fact of life.

Anyway. During that mmoment, it's best to pray to the Almighty for
guidance and help, that's what happened in Apollo 13, people all of
the world prayed for the safe return of three of their brothers.

It should be noted that the most dangerous part of the Apollo 13
incident isn't the lack of air supply, but instead the re-entry event.

For a brief moment after re-entry, Apollo 13 was gone. This is not
somekind of temporary loss of communication during re-entry or
temporary lack of visual contact, but it was gone! It was gone so long
that it was already considered to be destroyed. Until it suddenly just
popped out of nowhere.

At least that's what one person told me when he pay attention through
the whole Apollo 13, he's just a causal observer though, not an inside
person or anything that.

And that's the reason I'm not totally sure if the OV-102 Columbia was
even destroyed, at least not during re-entry.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

As for the movie that featured the husband who killed himself to
prevent his wife from rescuing him. The movie was "Mission to Mars",
it featured the astronauts investigating somekind of alien artifact.
The whole thing is a propaganda to worship aliens though.

The other movie with Val Kilmer is "Red Planet", a monster thriller
movie.

Anyway. Speaking of suicidal astronaut in a movie, in "Marooned"
(which premiered before the Apollo 13 incident), one of the crew
walked outside the vehicle and then cut his life line to drift away
from Ironman One (the space vehicle they're using).
Old August 28th 04, 09:40 PM
Keith F. Lynch

Henry Spencer wrote:
The legend of noble self-sacrifice -- like many aspects of the
popular version of Scott's expedition -- appears to have been
manufactured for posterity, partly by Scott himself and partly by
his backers (who edited Scott's diary quite heavily for publication).

Who has the original diary? Is there any chance of seeing it?
If someone did see it, and photographed each page, would there be
anything to stop them from publishing it? Any copyright has long
since expired, right?

Curious coincidence: Scott's death was pretty much simultaneous with
the sinking of the Titanic.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/
Old August 29th 04, 12:15 AM
Henry Spencer

Keith F. Lynch wrote:
The legend of noble self-sacrifice -- like many aspects of the
popular version of Scott's expedition -- appears to have been
manufactured for posterity, partly by Scott himself and partly by
his backers (who edited Scott's diary quite heavily for publication).

Who has the original diary? Is there any chance of seeing it?

It belongs to his family, last I heard. (He left a wife and son behind.)
As I understand it, Roland Huntford -- author of "Amundsen and Scott",
republished for the popular market as "The Last Place on Earth" -- was the
first researcher to go to the trouble of getting access to it, and it was
an eye-opener.

If memory serves, a facsimile edition was published recently.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |

Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones Misc 8 February 4th 04 06:48 PM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 February 4th 04 06:48 PM
The Apollo Moon Hoax FAQ v4.1 November 2003 Nathan Jones Misc 20 November 11th 03 07:33 PM