Asteriod Question

Old September 2nd 04, 07:37 AM
Wally Anglesea

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Lise Eleanor" wrote in message
snip
We'd probably show it as a [black] rock hurtling through black space
(probably glittery black rock to catch the lighting and make it appear to

be
travelling very quickly), Jupiter off in the background, on the left side

of
the screen. The asteroid veers in on a shallow angle, passes through a
bit
of the cloud, ricochets off to the left (pulling a small trail of cloud
behind, briefly) and dashes off into blackness again. (The audience will
know, being intelligent, that the asteroid is obviously heading for

Earth -
or there'd be no point making the movie.) Etc..

snip

Just promise us, that as the rock comes on to screen it won't roar like a
rocket. I suggest you watch Apollo 13. The silence outside the craft is
deafening in that movie.

Which is also the reason you only had breathing and oxygen surge sounds in
2001: A Space Odyssey during the spacewalk. Oh, and the music of course.

I kind of never forgave Peter Hyams for making rocket noises in 2010.

I had a music teacher tell me once that it wasn't the notes, but the
spaces
between them that counts.

BV.

Old September 2nd 04, 08:01 AM
Wally Anglesea

"BP" wrote in message
One of his many personalities you mean....I am in. Count my vote.

No, I doubt it. Too well organised. When MS was posting a Yoda ( and he won
the 2004 July Victor vin Frankenstein Weird Science Award-
http://www.insurgent.org/~kook-faq/whiners.html#vvf) , this would have come
up.

BP

"Paul Lawler" wrote in message
. 170.82...
"Lise Eleanor" wrote in
:

I have a friend who works for NASA.

I just don't want you guys to get into any nasties. It was all going
so well. And still is.

In my humble opinion, based on what I know of ancient civilizations
and their ideologies on the subject, I'd have to say it's very likely
that one planet or large heavenly body collided and pool-balled off
another large object (like a rock skipping on water). It's where we
get the letter "a" which is a 0 with a line attached alongside (which
represented the collision). If you study the development of
alpha-numerics, you'll see it's development paired with cell division,
or as some like to call it, the big bang (which was an orchestrated
event).

Is anybody else here starting to think that Lise Eleanor is really an
M.S.
sock puppet?

Old September 2nd 04, 03:05 PM
Paul Lawler

"BP" wrote in
:

Oh hell, I figured it out...

Mad Scientist is Velikovksy.

Velikovsky is Mad Scientist.

Guys, we are screwed. We are messing with the master of deception.
BP

Out of the question. In the first place, Velikovsky died in 1979. In the
second place, even if he was channeling Velikovsky (unlikely at best),
Velikovsky was much more rational and actually DID research. He may have
reached wrong conclusions, but he never dismissed people with, "The answer
is out there, go and find it for yourselves."
Old September 3rd 04, 04:34 AM
Mike Ruskai

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:09:43 -0400, Lise Eleanor wrote:

I'm a screenwriter and I have a question:

If a big enough asteroid hit Jupiter and a piece of Jupiter broke off, could
it become a rogue asteroid and head for Earth? (I've heard that Jupiter's
many moons were once actually part of Jupiter that broke off.)

No. Jupiter is a huge ball of gas with (probably) a small rocky core.
You an't knock a blob of hydrogen off and turn it into an asteroid. Where
did you hear that nonsense about the creation of Jupiter's moons?

If not, what type of situation can be proposed that would produce a
threatening rogue asteroid?

Along the lines you're thinking of, pretty much no situation. You're not
going to get a "rogue" asteroid from a collision with a planet. A
collision with an asteroid (by a long period comet, perhaps), while
extremely unlikely, could alter its orbit into an earth-intersecting one
(even more unlikely than the collision itself).

My advice, however, is to find another topic to write a script about.
Killer asteroids have been done to death already, and quite poorly.

--
- Mike

Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.

Old September 3rd 04, 04:36 AM
Mike Ruskai

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:35:11 -0400, Lise Eleanor wrote:

How's this?

An asteroid knifes through blackness, Jupiter looming in its path. It
strikes the cloud tops around the planet's surface at a shallow angle and
deflects to a new course, a cloud-trail following in its wake.

Not a chance. Jupiter's gravity is far too strong. I don't feel like
crunching the numbers right now, but for that to happen, the asteroid
would have to be moving incredibly fast - faster than you can imagine, and
faster than any body orbiting the sun ever gets.