Scientists teleport two different objects

Old October 4th 06, 10:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy
RobH

Default Scientists teleport two different objects

Scientists teleport two different objects
POSTED: 4:36 p.m. EDT, October 4, 2006

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Beaming people in Star Trek fashion is
still in the realms of science fiction but physicists in Denmark have
teleported information from light to matter bringing quantum
communication and computing closer to reality.

Until now scientists have teleported similar objects such as light or
single atoms over short distances from one spot to another in a split
second.

But Professor Eugene Polzik and his team at the Niels Bohr Institute at
Copenhagen University in Denmark have made a breakthrough by using both
light and matter.

"It is one step further because for the first time it involves
teleportation between light and matter, two different objects. One is
the carrier of information and the other one is the storage medium,"
Polzik explained in an interview on Wednesday.

The experiment involved for the first time a macroscopic atomic object
containing thousands of billions of atoms. They also teleported the
information a distance of half a meter but believe it can be extended
further.

"Teleportation between two single atoms had been done two years ago by
two teams but this was done at a distance of a fraction of a
millimeter," Polzik, of the Danish National Research Foundation Center
for Quantum Optics, explained.

"Our method allows teleportation to be taken over longer distances
because it involves light as the carrier of entanglement," he added.

Quantum entanglement involves entwining two or more particles without
physical contact.

Although teleportation is associated with the science-fiction series
Star Trek, no one is likely to be beamed anywhere soon.

But the achievement of Polzik's team, in collaboration with the theorist
Ignacio Cirac of the Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics in
Garching, Germany, marks an advancement in the field of quantum
information and computers, which could transmit and process information
in a way that was impossible before.

"It is really about teleporting information from one site to another
site. Quantum information is different from classical information in the
sense that it cannot be measured. It has much higher information
capacity and it cannot be eavesdropped on. The transmission of quantum
information can be made unconditionally secure," said Polzik whose
research is reported in the journal Nature.

Quantum computing requires manipulation of information contained in the
quantum states, which include physical properties such as energy, motion
and magnetic field, of the atoms.

"Creating entanglement is a very important step but there are two more
steps at least to perform teleportation. We have succeeded in making all
three steps -- that is entanglement, quantum measurement and quantum
feedback," he added.
Old October 5th 06, 03:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

There's a good article about this at:

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20010929/fob1.asp

My web searches also turned up

http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/1004/p15s1-stss.html

which I cannot recommend, as it contains a number of fundamental
mistakes - for example, about Schrodinger's cat.

John Savard

Old October 5th 06, 03:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Schrodinger's cat?

How do you know he passed away?

Well no observation is needed, (when you leave the box lid closed for a
few days)!

This was the answer I gave in class, (all those beers ago).

OASN, I can see that this tech. may become of value for communication &
computers. It is worth the effort to continue funding this, (but one
should not think we will be beaming about anytime soon).

Carl

Old October 5th 06, 06:11 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Space Cadet[_1_]

wrote:
OASN, I can see that this tech. may become of value for communication &
computers. It is worth the effort to continue funding this, (but one
should not think we will be beaming about anytime soon).

Carl

Thank goodness! Think about, would you want to 'Beta Test' a
transporter? ;^)

Just my $0.02

Space Cadet

Moon Society - St. Louis Chapter

http://www.moonsociety.org/chapters/stlouis/

There is only one (maybe 2) basic core reasons for humans to go
beyond LEO, That is for the establishment of space settlements or a
space based civilization. Everything else are details.

Gary Gray 11/9/2005

Old October 5th 06, 08:49 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Wayne Throop

:: OASN, I can see that this tech. may become of value for communication
:: & computers. It is worth the effort to continue funding this, (but
:: one should not think we will be beaming about anytime soon).

Especially since they didn't "teleport two different objects".
They "teleported" information from one object to another.
Why they call this "teleporting" instead of "transmitting" is unclear,
other than it's what gets the headlines.

Wayne Throop http://sheol.org/throopw
Old October 5th 06, 11:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Wayne Throop wrote:
Why they call this "teleporting" instead of "transmitting" is unclear,
other than it's what gets the headlines.

Well, it *did* involve quantum entanglement - and that was the excuse.

John Savard

Old October 9th 06, 04:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

POSTED: 4:36 p.m. EDT, October 4, 2006

[fun with quantum entanglement]

Am I correct in thinking that this technology is FTL, and not subject
to any kind of range restriction or interference/ signal blockage?

Can we therefore imagine that some future interplanetary mission might
take with it a lump of entangled particles (having left the entangled
'mates' of those particles back on Earth), allowing the spacecraft and
mission control to exchange data instantaneously, no matter how far
away the craft travels?

What would the bandwidth be like? Presumably it would be 1 bit per
entangled particle pair, but is there any restriction on the rate at
which these bits can be sent other than the speed at which the the
computers involved can 'read' and 'write' the particles? However, I
suppose there would be a finite amount of data that could be
transmitted in this way, defined by the amount of entagled particles
available to the ship. What would we call that, 'banddepth'? Given that
these particles are at an atomic scale though, I imagine a just a few
grams of material would be enough for many billions of bits of data.

The advantages of eliminating comm-lag for manned space travel are
obvious, but I could see that even on unmanned missions this would do
away with a lot of hassles associated with traditional radio
transmissions.

Or have I misunderstood completely? The only future applications the
articles I've read seem to be interested in are secure data
communication (very exciting for gov, mil and biz I'm sure but...
well.... *yawn* ) and "beam me up scotty" style teleportation (which,
let's face it, ain't gonna happen).

I find it hard to believe that such a potentially revolutionary
technology (a) really is as useful as I understand it to be and (b)
isn't generating more of a buzz.

Someone please correct my misconceptions (if I have expressed any).