Strange celestial object

Old November 6th 05, 02:37 PM
Mike

Default Strange celestial object

I'm trying to find out a possible explanation for an object I saw in the sky
over the city of Cardiff in the UK.

Basically, I saw an extremely bright star, 2 - 3 times larger than the size
of the brightest star in the sky and 3- 4 times brighter than the brightest
star. It stayed at that brightness and size for a few seconds, whilst
remaining in the same position in the sky. After a few seconds, the
intensity of the light and it's size started to diminish slowly until after
approx 10-15 seconds it had faded into nothing. Whilst it was fading into
nothing the light appeared to move to the left of it's oroginal position at
a speed that was approx half that of a satellite moving across the sky. The
distance it covered before it disappeared to nothing was the width of two
fingers held together at arms length.

This sighting took place on 2nd October 05 at 9.20pm and I was looking
South.

I know next to nothing about astonomy so I'm wondering whether anybody out
there can put my mind at rest and possibly provide me with an astronomical
reason for my sighting. Could it have been a man made object in the sky?

Thanks in advance
Mike

Old November 6th 05, 03:47 PM
Double-A

Mike wrote:
[...]

Sounds like an airliner to me.

I see them all the time.

Double-A

Old November 6th 05, 04:12 PM
Starlord

you saw the light being reflected off of a sattlite, it's in low earth orbit
and about the size of a simi truck trailer and they apper just about that
time. I've seen it a few times here too.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

Old November 6th 05, 09:55 PM
Llanzlan Klazmon

"Mike" wrote in
:

[...]

Probably a satellite. Check out the "heavens above site" - you may be able
to figure the the specific satellite:

http://www.heavens-above.com/

Klazmon

Thanks in advance