Computerised Mounted Telescopes

Old October 20th 03, 12:23 PM
Bernie

Default Computerised Mounted Telescopes

I am considering the purchase of a telescope. However I note that for
the same price as a Meade Goto 8" Schmidt-Casagrain, I could buy a
larger aperture reflector or SCT with manual mount.

How indispensible is the goto computer control in the use of these
telescopes?

Would I be better to go for a manual mounted telescope but larger
aperture and better optics instead? Alternatively is the goto computer
system now a neccessity to the new Amateur Astronomer?

Thanks fo any advice.
Old October 20th 03, 03:06 PM
Robert Geake

"Bernie" wrote in message
om...
I am considering the purchase of a telescope. However I note that for
the same price as a Meade Goto 8" Schmidt-Casagrain, I could buy a
larger aperture reflector or SCT with manual mount.

How indispensible is the goto computer control in the use of these
telescopes?

Would I be better to go for a manual mounted telescope but larger
aperture and better optics instead? Alternatively is the goto computer
system now a neccessity to the new Amateur Astronomer?

Thanks fo any advice.

Hi Bernie

I hasten to aggree with Pete(told you i loved you didnt i !), i had a goto
scope all beit a small one, and got shot of it. I have learned oceans more
about the sky using an Equitorial mount and starmaps to find objects of
interest.

Rob

Old October 20th 03, 10:45 PM
chris

Hi,
I am also pretty new to this hobby(turned into almost a way of life I had
an 8"dob however I decided to invest in a meade LX90, whilst I am sure this
machine can do lots of wonderful things-I find myself using the motors not
for goto but mainly for moving the optics to what I want to see. I think
this is due to the fact that previously I was always used to starhopping and
find it difficult to get out of the habit. In the end its all down to each
individual, however I will say that no matter how accurate your telescope
alignment is sometimes it can be quicker and simpler to hop to the next
target. Therefore the goto is not always worth the extra price
Regards
Chris
om...

Old October 20th 03, 11:35 PM
ChrisH

On 20 Oct 2003 04:23:18 -0700, (Bernie) wrote:

I am considering the purchase of a telescope. However I note that for
the same price as a Meade Goto 8" Schmidt-Casagrain, I could buy a
larger aperture reflector or SCT with manual mount.

How indispensible is the goto computer control in the use of these
telescopes?

Would I be better to go for a manual mounted telescope but larger
aperture and better optics instead? Alternatively is the goto computer
system now a neccessity to the new Amateur Astronomer?

Thanks fo any advice.

Personally I find Goto a useful accessory, but it really depends on
how you intend to observe. It's also useful for photography/CCD
provided it points accurately. My Gemini system is so accurate I don't
need to look through the camera to frame the shot - I know the object
is centered (exact framing is adjusted in SkyMap Pro). There are many
other uses too (finding moving objects like faint comets, asteroids
etc), some of which can be equally accomplished with digital setting
circles.

The thing I don't like about Dobs is that you can't leave them to go
root around for a different eyepiece, grab a mouthful of coffee, or
ponder your star chart without the object you were looking at drifting
out of the FOV. At high power near the zenith re-aquiring the object
can be difficult. My memory for star fields is crap too, so generally
I have to start 'hopping' again from the start. Whilst GOTO may be
optional I find a tracking mount essential (and before anyone mentions
it - a Dob on an EQ platform is not a Dob!)

ChrisH

UK Astro Ads:
http://www.UKAstroAds.co.uk
Old October 21st 03, 11:09 AM
Barnaby Madgett

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:21:27 +0100, Geoff Smith wrote:
Yep, moreover it also allows you, (in conjunction with CCD) to reach targets
which you would never be able to get manually. In poor sky conditions (which
most of us have) the objects which are within reach by star hopping are
ultimately a bit limited. Using a good GOTO scope and a CCD camera opens out
unlimited numbers of possibilities. Faint NGC galaxies and nebulae which
would be well outside visual range and horizon hugging comets in the
twilight glow are all possible with GOTO.

I've got a question about GOTO. I'm pondering my 1st telescope purchase
sometime in the next few months. An 8" reflector seems a decent choice,
and I'll maybe have up to £800ish to spend. Obviously to begin with I'm
going to want to play around with it for visual targets, and I plan on
doing things "the old way" so I can learn my way around star-hopping etc,
but I also want to make sure that whatever I've got will be capable of
supporting decent longish exposure CCD photography when/if I get that far
in the future.

I also like the sound of having GOTO (or at least the
ability to upgrade to it) since I suspect I'll eventually find myself
time-limited and thus a scope that has me looking at things quickly
will get used more than one that involves an hour of setting up each time.

So in that respect, is something like the Celestron "Advanced Series"
C8-NGT suitable? Would the motor drives on that have sufficient accuracy for
longish exposures? I've done some googling about but can't seem to find
any reviews of this scope.

Or would I be better off overall getting a non-GOTO scope that
has "manual" motor controls? eg one of the Orion Optics range, or perhaps
the SkyWatcher-200 HEQ5, which looks a cheaper option (but presumably
lacks in some departments).

I just want to make sure that I won't necessarily have to buy a whole new
scope, mount, etc in a couple of years if/when I decide to get into CCD.

Barns

Old October 21st 03, 11:39 AM
Bernie

"chris" wrote in message ...
Hi,
I am also pretty new to this hobby(turned into almost a way of life I had
an 8"dob however I decided to invest in a meade LX90, whilst I am sure this
machine can do lots of wonderful things-I find myself using the motors not
for goto but mainly for moving the optics to what I want to see. I think
this is due to the fact that previously I was always used to starhopping and
find it difficult to get out of the habit. In the end its all down to each
individual, however I will say that no matter how accurate your telescope
alignment is sometimes it can be quicker and simpler to hop to the next
target. Therefore the goto is not always worth the extra price
Regards
Chris
"Bernie" wrote in message
om...
I am considering the purchase of a telescope. However I note that for
the same price as a Meade Goto 8" Schmidt-Casagrain, I could buy a
larger aperture reflector or SCT with manual mount.

How indispensible is the goto computer control in the use of these
telescopes?

Would I be better to go for a manual mounted telescope but larger
aperture and better optics instead? Alternatively is the goto computer
system now a neccessity to the new Amateur Astronomer?

Thanks fo any advice.

Thanks for the helpful comments. I have spent some time looking at
various Telescope manufacturers. I especially am impressed with the UK
maker Orion Optics.

For the same price as a 8" Goto SCT Orion Optics could provide a much
larger aperture Newtonian Reflector on Equatorial mount. Somehow I
feel that the extra expense of the computer control may not be worth
the extra price to me personally.

I also like the idea of having a UK based manufacturer who can provide
a more local after sales service.

I wonder what the general opinion of Orion Newtonian (Europa)
Reflectors are?

Thanks
Old October 21st 03, 12:50 PM
Ashley Culver

Hi Bernie,

I have an Orion Optics Europa 6". I have found it to be generally very good
although I have tried no other scope to compare it against. I have enjoyed
the views it has given me.

My only problem with it is finding stuff ) I have often thought about
buying a GOTO scope to help out.

I appreciate this is contradictory advice to some of your other replies.
When I do find something it is rewarding but I seem to be limited to
spotting objects in binoculars first and then fiddling round with the scope.
When you cant find an object it can be very frustrating. I also find the
equatorial mount tricky to use. I find it tricky pointing to certain objects
and find myself picking up the whole mount and rotating it on the floor. I
suspect that this not the thing to do!

I suppose once I have found an object I tend to remember it's location.
After time I think I'll end up with a good memory of the sky which would be
nice. But there is a danger of frustration without GOTO.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ash

"Bernie" wrote in message
m...
"chris" wrote in message

[...]

om...

Old October 21st 03, 01:15 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:50:45 +0100, "Ashley Culver"
wrote:

I have an Orion Optics Europa 6". I have found it to be generally very good
although I have tried no other scope to compare it against. I have enjoyed
the views it has given me.

I have a 250 which I use mainly for visual observing. For years it
has given me a lot of enjoyment.

My only problem with it is finding stuff ) I have often thought about
buying a GOTO scope to help out.

I appreciate this is contradictory advice to some of your other replies.
When I do find something it is rewarding but I seem to be limited to
spotting objects in binoculars first and then fiddling round with the scope.
When you cant find an object it can be very frustrating. I also find the
equatorial mount tricky to use. I find it tricky pointing to certain objects
and find myself picking up the whole mount and rotating it on the floor. I
suspect that this not the thing to do!

If your mount is an equatorial mount, then picking it up and rotating
it is totally the wrong thing to do. An equatorial mount is designed
to have one axis (the polar axis) pointing at the North Celestial Pole
(I'm talking about northern hemisphere use here). This alignment is
important to allow the mount to work correctly.

Pre-location in binoculars is good. It shows you a better image of
the field that you are about to look at than your eyes can deliver.
It may also introduce you to new objects in the field which you
weren't expecting. After a while, a starfield will take on a certain
familiarity,

I suppose once I have found an object I tend to remember it's location.
After time I think I'll end up with a good memory of the sky which would be
nice. But there is a danger of frustration without GOTO.

You could find that GOTO will ease that frustration. However, you
could also find that it removes a certain essense from the whole
experience.

You appear to be struggling (if you are rotating your mount!) to
locate objects. If this is the case, and you do have an equatorial
mount, persevere and seek help (ask here). Eventually, you will find
that something clicks and you can locate relatively easy to find
objects, easily with your scope.

Once this point has been achieved, the next step is to take risks with
the view. Once found, a hunted field becomes precious, the observer
is often reluctant to move the scope around the field for fear of
losing something that has taken ages to find. Break that fear and
nudge the scope out of position. Get to feel how it moves and how the
field appears to move with different power eyepieces.

With the object you were looking at, try looking thorough the eyepiece
and star hopping away from it. Do this in both RA and Dec. noting the
patterns that you see in the eyepiece. Once you have hopped away, try
hopping back. Start off small and work your way up to larger hops. A
pointless exercise but it will give you a feel for how your scope
moves and operates. It also improves confidence with using the scope.

--
Pete
Homepage at http://www.pbl33.co.uk
Old October 21st 03, 02:21 PM
Geoff Smith

Barns
Going for something in the Orion UK range is a safe bet, speak to them or
get advice from someone here about the upgrade paths. The mounts can have
the GOTO capability added later.
The real thing to avoid are the low cost GOTO scopes which although
theoretically able to point at targets are not are not really good enough to
show much in the eyepiece (except for the brighter objects which everyone
should learn the postions of anyway) and have drives unsuitable for CCD or
long exposure photography. At this price range the money would be better
spent on a bigger mirror and better mounting.