Why so much spam?

Old September 12th 09, 06:16 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
David Spain

Default Why so much spam?

What is it about this particular newsgroup that it attracts so much spam?

It is possible to collect IP address data on the senders and get the Big 8
to filter it?

Dave
Old September 12th 09, 07:50 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Damon Hill[_4_]

David Spain wrote in
:

What is it about this particular newsgroup that it attracts so much
spam?

Absolutely nothing. This goes on in most active newsgroups.

It is possible to collect IP address data on the senders and get the
Big 8 to filter it?

Good luck.

--Damon

Old September 12th 09, 09:06 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
David Spain

Damon Hill writes:

David Spain wrote in
:

What is it about this particular newsgroup that it attracts so much
spam?

Absolutely nothing. This goes on in most active newsgroups.

I don't see this happening on the other sci.space.xyz groups I read.
Wonder if my newsgroups ISP is doing some kind of filtering on them
w/o my knowledge? hmmm...

It is possible to collect IP address data on the senders and get the
Big 8 to filter it?

Good luck.

I hear that....

Dave

Old September 12th 09, 09:20 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_308_]

"Damon Hill" wrote in message
David Spain wrote in
:

What is it about this particular newsgroup that it attracts so much
spam?

Absolutely nothing. This goes on in most active newsgroups.

It's definitely worse here. (Though you wouldn't believe how much
sci.space.science gets for watches!)

It appears to have gotten worse after we got targeted after I believe
someone in the group did try to complain.

It is possible to collect IP address data on the senders and get the
Big 8 to filter it?

Big 8 who?

Good luck.

--Damon

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old September 13th 09, 09:45 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

We have reported it many times, but after a short time it just comes back.
Its not just this group, really silly places, like Java programming groups
also seem to get it.

I think I now just ignore it. After all, if those sending it are determined
to waste their time sending crap, what can be done. I don't think very much
in fact. Its like graffiti, you clean it off and some brain dead dweeb
writes more.

Brian

Email:

Old September 13th 09, 10:12 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
David Spain

"Brian Gaff" writes:

I think I now just ignore it. After all, if those sending it are determined
to waste their time sending crap, what can be done. I don't think very much
in fact. Its like graffiti, you clean it off and some brain dead dweeb
writes more.

Brian

That may be the best appraoch. I suspect it doesn't have anything to do
with determination. More like people who don't run anti-virus software
and think their cd-drive is a cup holder, but have that $100/mo network
connection for the kiddies....

Dave
Old September 14th 09, 06:01 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Derek Lyons

Damon Hill wrote:

David Spain wrote in
:

What is it about this particular newsgroup that it attracts so much
spam?

Absolutely nothing. This goes on in most active newsgroups.

Wrong. I see this in exactly *one* newsgroup - and I participate in
several far more active than s.s.shuttle is. (And I use a decent news
provider who filters 99.99999999% of the spam, except for s.s.s oddly
enough.)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old September 14th 09, 07:20 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Damon Hill[_4_]

Another thing I've noticed lately is a considerable falloff of
active participation in most of the discussion newsgroups I
frequent. In the sci.space* groups I blame this on both declining
Usenet support by ISPs, and the difficult idiot-to-intelligence
noise floor which has driven away many of our best and smartest
to less polluted forums.

--Damon, who'd like to support somebody besides Comcast

Old September 14th 09, 03:50 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Derek Lyons

Damon Hill wrote:

(Derek Lyons) wrote in news:4ab6cdc1.37238453
:

Damon Hill wrote:

David Spain wrote in
:

What is it about this particular newsgroup that it attracts so much
spam?

Absolutely nothing. This goes on in most active newsgroups.

Wrong. I see this in exactly *one* newsgroup - and I participate in
several far more active than s.s.shuttle is. (And I use a decent news
provider who filters 99.99999999% of the spam, except for s.s.s oddly
enough.)

Well, good for you and your Usenet provider. I suggest you forward the
offending messages to your provider with appropriate complaints about
the problems with this one newsgroup.

I'm using Giganews and spam remains a constant across most active non-
moderated newsgroups. Interestingly, there's not much of it in binary
groups. It's not severe, just mildly annoying for the length of time it
takes for me to delete the dross.

Then on top of having a poor newsgroup provider, you have a crappy
newsreader - my ancient copy of Agent (v1.5) allows me to mark 'em all
read (and thus they vanish from view) in about .5 seconds, regardless
of the amount.

D.

spam Brian Gaff Space Shuttle 1 August 2nd 09 02:13 PM
SPAM Barbara Bailey Amateur Astronomy 0 September 24th 07 12:22 PM
spam Kevin[_4_] Amateur Astronomy 12 August 15th 07 06:14 PM
Spam Ed Kyle Policy 0 May 22nd 05 10:03 PM
OT New Spam Richard F.L.R.Snashall Amateur Astronomy 1 May 15th 05 09:57 PM