Cassini raw images

Old July 1st 04, 08:35 AM
Harald Kucharek

Default Cassini raw images

Don't know if I missed that this is already posted he Seems they
finally came to senses and publish the raw images from Cassini as they
become available

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedi.../raw/index.cfm

Old July 1st 04, 10:23 AM
OM

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 09:35:17 +0200, Harald Kucharek
wrote:

Don't know if I missed that this is already posted he Seems they
finally came to senses and publish the raw images from Cassini as they
become available

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedi.../raw/index.cfm

....About damned time, too. Should come in handy when they start doing
time-lapse on the ring spokes.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 1st 04, 01:00 PM
Scott Ferrin

wrote:

Don't know if I missed that this is already posted he Seems they
finally came to senses and publish the raw images from Cassini as they
become available

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedi.../raw/index.cfm

So where's the big freakin' color pictures from 12000 miles above the
clouds? Anybody know if they took some or were they in the dark at
that point? Or too close/fast to get a decent picture with those
light levels?
Old July 1st 04, 01:25 PM
Harald Kucharek

wrote:

Don't know if I missed that this is already posted he Seems they
finally came to senses and publish the raw images from Cassini as they
become available

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedi.../raw/index.cfm

So where's the big freakin' color pictures...

A color picture can't be a raw image. All pictures are somewhat
black-and-white taken through some filters. Combining the right raw
pictures produces a color image.

Old July 1st 04, 01:27 PM
Andrew Gray

wrote:

Don't know if I missed that this is already posted he Seems they
finally came to senses and publish the raw images from Cassini as they
become available

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedi.../raw/index.cfm

So where's the big freakin' color pictures from 12000 miles above the
clouds? Anybody know if they took some or were they in the dark at
that point? Or too close/fast to get a decent picture with those
light levels?

No imaging done then, AIUI.

First images should be being recieved within an hour, though, if I read
this timeline correctly...

Incidentally, I have pdf files listing the timeline for SOI, and one
listing an overview one over the next month or so; these cover "tour
sequences" SO1 and SO2. Is there a detailed one for any later sequence
yet, or is that still dependent on how they tidy up this orbit?

(I note we get a nifty Titan pass tomorrow, too)

--
-Andrew Gray

Old July 1st 04, 07:08 PM
Scott Ferrin

wrote:

Don't know if I missed that this is already posted he Seems they
finally came to senses and publish the raw images from Cassini as they
become available

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedi.../raw/index.cfm

So where's the big freakin' color pictures...

A color picture can't be a raw image. All pictures are somewhat
black-and-white taken through some filters. Combining the right raw
pictures produces a color image.

Yeah, grayscale R, G & B or L, A & B or any off a plethora of others.
So what was your point? If they sent RAW r, g & b channels it would
be cake to combine them to form color images. If they in fact DID
take color pictures (spare me the diatribe about multiple CCDs or
CMOS, I know all that).
Old July 1st 04, 09:03 PM
Bruce Palmer

Andrew Gray wrote:
Incidentally, I have pdf files listing the timeline for SOI, and one
listing an overview one over the next month or so; these cover "tour
sequences" SO1 and SO2. Is there a detailed one for any later sequence
yet, or is that still dependent on how they tidy up this orbit?

Not sure if this will help but if you go to
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/press.cfm and download the PDF
"Cassini-Huygens Saturn Arrival", on page 39 there's a diagram that
charts the first couple of orbits, taking it through 15 January 2005.
No timelines, though.

--
bp
Proud Member of the Human O-Ring Society Since 2003
Old July 1st 04, 10:35 PM
dave schneider

wrote:

Scott Ferrin wrote:
So where's the big freakin' color pictures...

A color picture can't be a raw image. All pictures are somewhat
black-and-white taken through some filters. Combining the right raw
pictures produces a color image.

Yeah, grayscale R, G & B or L, A & B or any off a plethora of others.
So what was your point? If they sent RAW r, g & b channels it would
be cake to combine them to form color images. If they in fact DID
take color pictures (spare me the diatribe about multiple CCDs or
CMOS, I know all that).

AIUI, they select a filter setting, grab the frame, send that image,
rotate the filter wheel, grab, send, rotate, grab, send, for as many
"channels" (actually wavelenght bands) as they choose.

Since these are RAW images, the work to make the color image is a
post-processing step.

The MER images work the same way, IIRC.

/dps
Old July 2nd 04, 07:28 AM
Pat Flannery

dave schneider wrote:

Since these are RAW images, the work to make the color image is a
post-processing step.

The MER images work the same way, IIRC.

It's going to be trickier in this case; their speed of approach to the
rings during the photo shoot meant that the three images needed for the
color image weren't of the same view or scale, so they are going to need
to manipulate them to create a theoretical view as if all of the three
filtered exposures that were shot 60 seconds apart had been taken
simultaneously: http://spaceflightnow.com/cassini/040701science.html

Pat