Lockheed Martin And Aerojet Complete Successful Atlas V Block B Solid Rocket Booster Test

Old June 3rd 05, 02:48 PM
Jacques van Oene

Default Lockheed Martin And Aerojet Complete Successful Atlas V Block B Solid Rocket Booster Test

Lockheed Martin And Aerojet Complete Successful Atlas V Block B Solid Rocket
Booster Test

Atlas V?s Upgraded Block B Solids Provide Enhanced Performance And
Reliability

Denver, Colo., June 1, 2005 -- Lockheed Martin and Aerojet have successfully
conducted the second test firing of the Atlas V upgraded Block B Solid
Rocket Booster (SRB). The test firing was performed May 24 at Edwards Air
Force Base, Calif. Aerojet's Block B SRB will be used on Lockheed Martin's
Atlas V launch vehicle, providing enhanced performance and reliability. The
Block A SRB, a previous version of the solid motor also produced by Aerojet,
was qualified in 2003 and has already flown on three separate successful
Atlas V missions for Lockheed Martin.

This was the second test of the Block B SRB at Aerojet's new SRB test stand
at the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) at Edwards Air Force Base. The
first test was conducted April 1. The duration and thrust levels of the SRB
test fire matched well with pre-test expectations and were completed as
planned, with a burn duration of approximately 90 seconds, producing an
average thrust of over 250,000 lbs. Post-test examination of the motor,
insulation and nozzle revealed excellent internal performance and design
margins.

"The Block B design has clearly demonstrated superior thermal performance
and we are very pleased with the test results," said Jim Sponnick, vice
president of the Atlas Program at Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company.
"Our customers are also pleased with the upgraded design, and we are looking
forward to the performance and reliability that the Block B SRBs will
provide for our upcoming Atlas V missions."
Aerojet's robust Block B SRB design improves the motor's production
efficiency and predictability required to meet the needs of Atlas V
government and commercial missions. The Block B program was initiated by
Lockheed Martin in 2003 as part of a pre-planned product improvement effort,
following the successful completion of the Block A qualification. Since
2003, a total of seven Aerojet Block A SRBs have flown successfully on all
three Atlas V missions that have utilized the added thrust of solid rocket
boosters.

"We are very pleased with the results of the development effort and look
forward to flying this upgraded design. We are also very pleased with the
collaborative working relationships we have with Lockheed Martin, AFRL and
the government customer. These were key in the successful demonstration of
the modified booster and the new test stand," said Aerojet President Michael
Martin.

Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company, headquartered near Denver, Colo., is
one of the major operating units of Lockheed Martin Corporation. Space
Systems Company designs, develops, tests and manufactures a variety of
advanced technology systems for space and defense. Chief products include
space launch systems, defense systems, interplanetary and science
spacecraft, spacecraft for commercial and government customers, fleet
ballistic missiles and missile defense systems.

Aerojet, a GenCorp (NYSE:GY) company, is a world-recognized aerospace and
defense leader principally serving the missile and space propulsion, and
defense and armaments markets. GenCorp is a leading technology-based
manufacturer of aerospace and defense products and systems with a real
estate business segment that includes activities related to the development,
sale and leasing of the Company's real estate assets.
Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin employs about 130,000 people
worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development,
manufacture and integration of advanced technology systems, products and
services. The corporation reported 2004 sales of $35.5 billion.

Contact:
Lockheed Martin: Joan Underwood, 303-971-7398; e-mail,

Aerojet: Susan Bassett, Aerojet, 916.355.2310,

Aerojet: Linda Cutler, GenCorp, 916.351.8650.

--

Jacques :-)

www.spacepatches.info