Taking the Step Up

Old November 5th 07, 12:56 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

Default Taking the Step Up

After finally saving up enough cash for it, I ordered a new telescope last
Thursday evening. Specifically I ordered Celestron's 8" SE sct. I made
sure to order the power adaptor and dew zapper at the same time. The scope
is coming via UPS and is due to arrive this Tuesday. Coincidentally, the
weather report for the rest of the week following calls for clouds and rain.
(Cleveland area.)

Old November 5th 07, 11:57 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

John Nichols wrote:
Coincidentally, the
weather report for the rest of the week following calls for clouds and rain.

So much anecdotal evidence exists as to make one suspect this is no
coincidence!

Of course, that isn't really the case. With a new telescope, one is
more motivated to observe, and so one *notices* the sky is cloudy.
Photographs of the Earth from space show that it is mostly shrouded by
clouds at any given moment.

And, of course, to make it worse, in winter, when the nights are
longer, the weather is also cooler.

John Savard

Old November 5th 07, 12:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Nov 5, 6:57 am, Quadibloc wrote:
John Nichols wrote:
Coincidentally, the
weather report for the rest of the week following calls for clouds and rain.

So much anecdotal evidence exists as to make one suspect this is no
coincidence!

Of course, that isn't really the case. With a new telescope, one is
more motivated to observe, and so one *notices* the sky is cloudy.
Photographs of the Earth from space show that it is mostly shrouded by
clouds at any given moment.

And, of course, to make it worse, in winter, when the nights are
longer, the weather is also cooler.

That's certainly no coincidence!

Old November 5th 07, 08:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

"Quadibloc" wrote in message
oups.com...
John Nichols wrote:
Coincidentally, the
weather report for the rest of the week following calls for clouds and
rain.

So much anecdotal evidence exists as to make one suspect this is no
coincidence!

Of course, that isn't really the case. With a new telescope, one is
more motivated to observe, and so one *notices* the sky is cloudy.
Photographs of the Earth from space show that it is mostly shrouded by
clouds at any given moment.

And, of course, to make it worse, in winter, when the nights are
longer, the weather is also cooler.

True. At least I've got cold weather gear.

Old November 8th 07, 01:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

So the new scope arrived yesterday evening. I have it assembled in my
living room, awaiting the arrival of the dew zapper I also ordered, and of
course, clear skies.