Earth as seen from Mars

Old November 1st 14, 05:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Default Earth as seen from Mars

On Friday, October 31, 2014 10:56:48 PM UTC, palsing wrote:
On Friday, October 31, 2014 1:13:19 PM UTC-7, oriel36 wrote:

You can determine where Venus is in relation to the Earth via its phases just as you can determine where the moon is in its orbit of the Earth by its phases -

http://spacemandan.net/astronomy/Sol...escope-med.gif

Well sure, I agree with this... but this is WRT the Sun.

People find it so easy to put the phases of Venus in context of the planet's orbital orientation to the Sun along with its increase in size as it approaches the Earth's orbit at our closest range that they will have no problem with the Earth as seen from Mars in the same vein -

http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/...mericas250.jpg

What the observer from Mars will see as the Earth moves through space is not only its phases but also that the polar latitudes will turn with respect to the circle of illumination just as we see the rings and the polar points of Uranus turn as a component of a planet's motion through space -

http://d1jqu7g1y74ds1.cloudfront.net...823uranus1.jpg

You can't observe those planets in retrograde....

Planets 'wander' in that when the observed inner planet emerges out from behind the Sun it moves against the background stars and then when its swings in from its widest point it moves with the background stars. The real innovation is recognizing the annual apparent motion of the stars centered on the central Sun and using the orbital motion of the Earth as the driving principle behind this line-of-sight observation as Elnath,Castor and Pollux are seen to do in that graphic -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdFrE7hWj0A

This is so natural that many people will easily adapt to what the sequence of images represents and particularly that grandstand view we have from the moving Earth of a faster moving inner planet as it approaches our orbit while getting bigger as it does so.

So Alsing, I will be out in California in December and might take the opportunity of putting those Pasadena guys straight on their worthless notion of what the faster Earth looks like from Mars -

http://mars.nasa.gov/allaboutmars/nightsky/retrograde/

These guys lack integrity as their behavior indicates so ,in truth, I would prefer to allow the better perspective to infiltrate the education system and leave these guys to their own devices.

You still don't understand... go ahead and visit Pasadena, but you will never convince any of them that you are right and virtually the entire astronomy community is wrong.

The people who took those pictures of Venus and arranged them properly in terms of the planet's orbital orientation to the Sun in terms of phases including the rare transit when Venus is at its closest point to the Earth with the central Sun as a backdrop have already demolished that rubbish of what the Earth would look like from Mars. What I have done is account for the Earth's orbital input into the perspective by switching the old reference of the Sun through the Zodiac to the necessary annual apparent motion of the stars behind the Sun for this is the crucial element missing from the old descriptions -

"Now what is said here of Jupiter is to be understood of Saturn and Mars also. In Saturn these retrogressions are somewhat more frequent than in Jupiter, because its motion is slower than Jupiter's, so that the Earth overtakes it in a shorter time. In Mars they are rarer, its motion being faster than that of Jupiter, so that the Earth spends more time in catching up with it. Next, as to Venus and Mercury, whose circles are included within that of the Earth, stoppings and retrograde motions appear in them also, due not to any motion that really exists in them, but to the annual motion of the Earth. This is acutely demonstrated by Copernicus... " Galileo

I'll be observing from the San Diego desert on December 20th if you want to see objects through a large telescope...

I quite understand the enjoyment of looking through an eyepiece while outside at night however there is an even greater astronomy beyond that magnification facet in that it requires the observer to go outside and consider the relationship of the Earth to the other planets or the other planets and their motion to the central Sun. The actual word 'consider' is an astronomical term hence it forms that great element of humanity known as consideration, something that is lacking among your community today -

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=consider

All conflicts have those with courage and those of cowardice and you have shown yourself to be among the former regardless of your convictions. The technical issues are fine and nobody needs convincing however getting people to recognize that these things are important to our civilization is another matter and that is beyond anyone's control. It doesn't matter if the guys at JPL conjure up nonsense of what the Earth looks like from Mars, it only matters that anyone can apply the same observations of Venus seen from Earth and apply them to a Martian perspective of the Earth along with all the valuable consequences of those perspectives.