RIP Pat Flannery?

Old October 13th 11, 04:38 PM posted to sci.space.history
GordonD

Default RIP Pat Flannery?

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message
In article . com,
says...

On 13/10/2011 1:00 PM,
wrote:
Is this *our* Pat Flannery?
http://www.jamestownsun.com/event/obituary/id/145730/

"Patrick C. Flannery, 54, Jamestown, died Monday, Oct. 3, 2011, at his
home."

Pithy.

Is it the right town?

This is a Usenet posting I found using Google Groups:

| Patrick Flannery View profile
| More options Jun 22 2001, 11:41 pm
|
| Newsgroups: sci.space.history
| From: "Patrick Flannery"
| Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 22:38:42 -0500
| Subject: Gemini spacesuits
| Print | Individual message | Show original | Report this message |
| Find messages by this author
| And may I further add that the town I live in has a small
| population of only 15,000- and a very small public library
| that has fewer books on space exploration in it than I do
| in my private collection- and if we do run into newbies
| on this subject, we may well want to encourage them, as
| you never know just where they may end up.
| Patrick Flannery
| Jamestown, North Dakota....Hometown of Rick Hieb; shuttle
| astronaut, 1985 selections.
| (He was two years ahead of me in high school... and damn
| it, I never met him...)

Damn, that seems to settle it.

I was mainly a lurker here but I always enjoyed Pat's quirky sense of
humour.

LOS, Pat. We'll see you on the other side.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."

Old October 13th 11, 05:02 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
David Spain

Jeff Findley wrote:
In article . com,
says...
On 13/10/2011 1:00 PM,
wrote:
Is this *our* Pat Flannery?
http://www.jamestownsun.com/event/obituary/id/145730/

"Patrick C. Flannery, 54, Jamestown, died Monday, Oct. 3, 2011, at his
home."

Pithy.

Is it the right town?

This is a Usenet posting I found using Google Groups:

| Patrick Flannery
| Jamestown, North Dakota....Hometown of Rick Hieb; shuttle
| astronaut, 1985 selections.
| (He was two years ahead of me in high school... and damn
| it, I never met him...)

And I remember this one:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.s...22de206b9ff12?

Dave
Old October 13th 11, 05:07 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
David Spain

One of my favorite snarks to Pat....

Dave

Newsgroups: sci.space.policy, sci.space.history
From: David Spain
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 01:44:12 -0400
Subject: OT- If I suddenly vanish

Pat Flannery writes:
Derek Lyons wrote:
We're all thinking of you Pat. Some of us even positively..

Time to build a Ark... into it must be put two blonds, two brunettes, two
redheads...maybe four redheads.... :-)

Pat

Here you go Pat,

http://image03.webshots.com/3/2/31/9...nPZSARL_ph.jpg
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...AP_468x314.jpg
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...23956_monkey_g...

Good Luck.
Dave
Old October 13th 11, 07:02 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Kulin Remailer

"David Spain" wrote in message
David Spain wrote:
Alan Erskine wrote:
Is it the right town?

To the best of my knowledge it is.
I will post more details as I get them.

Dave

There have been no funeral arrangements made as yet, the
body has been cremated.

His parents are not surviving. There is a surviving brother,
I have requested my contact information be forwarded to him.

It surprises me that you guys are this interested in someone you only
know through Usenet. Have you guys ever met Pat in real life (IRL)?

If it *is* Pat than he passed away relatively young at just 56. He
posted here only a few days ago (September 24th).

Old October 13th 11, 07:24 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
David Spain

Kulin Remailer wrote:
It surprises me that you guys are this interested in someone you only
know through Usenet. Have you guys ever met Pat in real life (IRL)?

You get a feel for someone after years of reading his postings here.
I never met Pat IRL (FWTW) but I'd hoped to someday. Now that is not
possible. IRL doesn't seem to have been that good to Pat either.
A one line obit in the local paper and nearly 2 weeks gone with no funeral
arrangements? Have a heart.

If it *is* Pat than he passed away relatively young at just 56. He
posted here only a few days ago (September 24th).

There was I time when I thought 56 was old, nearly ancient in fact.
Not so much anymore. All things are relative.

Dave
Old October 13th 11, 07:26 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Val Kraut

It surprises me that you guys are this interested in someone you only
know through Usenet. Have you guys ever met Pat in real life (IRL)?

If it *is* Pat than he passed away relatively young at just 56. He
posted here only a few days ago (September 24th).

This has happened on other groups - there's someone who consistently makes
intertesting posts - and you just get to expect them each day when you go
in - in fact you go in each day and look for his posts - and suddenly they
stop. The absence is noted and some other members try to sort out what
happened. In some cases the guy got sick and comes back, or he is having
problems with his internet provider and eventually reappears, and in some
cases he's just gone. If this is true, suddenly at home at 56 is truly sad
and shocking. His presence on the groups will be missed.

Val Kraut

Old October 13th 11, 08:04 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article ,
says...

This has happened on other groups - there's someone who consistently makes
intertesting posts - and you just get to expect them each day when you go
in - in fact you go in each day and look for his posts - and suddenly they
stop. The absence is noted and some other members try to sort out what
happened. In some cases the guy got sick and comes back, or he is having
problems with his internet provider and eventually reappears, and in some
cases he's just gone. If this is true, suddenly at home at 56 is truly sad
and shocking. His presence on the groups will be missed.

Sadly, this has happened before.

I'm a huge LEGO fan, and have been for years. On July 25, 1997, James
Jessiman passed away at quite a young age. He wrote the original LDraw
program (for DOS, of all things) which was the birth of the online LEGO
CAD community. Much, much later, LEGO came up with a program of their
own to do much the same thing (LEGO Digital Designer), but without
James, I'm not sure if they would have been "inspired" to release such a
program to the general public.

James was such a huge presence in the online LEGO community that his
memory has been kept alive through a the James Jessiman Memorial Award.

Jeff
--
" Ares 1 is a prime example of the fact that NASA just can't get it
up anymore... and when they can, it doesn't stay up long. "
Old October 13th 11, 09:37 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
snidely

"Val Kraut" scribbled something like ...

If this is
true, suddenly at home at 56 is truly sad and shocking. His presence
on the groups will be missed.

He will be missed, and it is sad, but I'm not sure that it's shocking given
that Pat had admitted to health issues for the last several years.

/dps

Old October 13th 11, 10:59 PM posted to sci.space.history
Dr.Colon Oscopy

On Oct 12, 10:00*pm, "
wrote:
Is this *our* Pat Flannery?http://www.jamestownsun.com/event/obituary/id/145730/

"Patrick C. Flannery, 54, Jamestown, died Monday, Oct. 3, 2011, at his
home."

Pithy.

I am deeply saddened to hear this. His posts were always interesting
and his humour was such you'ld go back and read it again and laughter
would start anew. Type of guy you would think you could meet for the
first time and feel like you knew him for years,
sad..................Doc
Old October 14th 11, 12:13 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jonathan

David Spain wrote:
Alan Erskine wrote:
Is it the right town?

To the best of my knowledge it is.
I will post more details as I get them.

Dave

There have been no funeral arrangements made as yet, the
body has been cremated.

His parents are not surviving. There is a surviving brother,
I have requested my contact information be forwarded to him.

It surprises me that you guys are this interested in someone you only
know through Usenet. Have you guys ever met Pat in real life (IRL)?

I'm sad to hear the news.

He's been faithfully killfiling me for at least 6 years. I wonder
if he knew I read every one of his posts during all that time?
I'd occasionally change my 'alt' in some small way just to see
if he's still plonking me, and sure enough, each time he'd remark
about my new address without fail. No one else in my entire life
has been so determined to display their contempt for me.

The last direct remark from him I remember was at least
five years ago when he called me a bit 'snarky'. Whatever
that is, I'm certain I was guilty of it many times.

I bet he was a great person to know.

RIP!

Jonathan

"Sweet hours have perished here;