Answers to quiz + ASAT capability & the future of space itself

Old July 9th 07, 11:25 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Ian Parker

Default Answers to quiz + ASAT capability & the future of space itself

As promised the answers to my Quiz

What are dominant and recessive characteristics?
In any scheme of sexual reproduction genes occur in pairs. A dominant
characteristic requires only one gene to be present whereas a both
genes have to be present for a recessive characterisic.

What experiments did Mendel perform and how do they illustrate this.
Mendel was a monk and he performed experiments on peas in the
Monastery garden. He cross fertilised them and looked for
characteristics such as colour and crinkly leaves.

How are proteins made? How would I use yeast (say) to make a
particular protein?
Proteins are strings of amino acids. They are normally made from genes
(and enzymes). Enzymes are biological catalysts which are made from a
gene. Hence a gene is associated with a particular enzyme.

What are T cells?
These are white blood cells that do not have any immunological
activity themselves but act on and optimize other cells.

How do white blood cells (leukocytes ) operate?
They bind onto infective agents. As we shall see in a vaccine we only
need to bind to one site on the infective agent.

What would you understand by a cell fragment. How might it be made by
genetic engineering?
A cell fragment is simply a piece of a cell. It is normally regarded
as a single protein, or a part of a DNA sequence. It is important in
creating vaccines since we only need to have one accessible fragment
in a vaccine. This will create an immune response which will be
adequate. Genetic engineering will enable a fragment to be
manufactured in the cells of another organism - a yeast for example.

In the case of AIDS the virus frequently turns itself inside out so it
is hard to find an unambiguous binding site. Some progress has been
made. There are a group of prostitutes in Africa whose genetic make up
makes them immune to AIDS. Work is in progress to try to find a
binding site associated with the gene.

I will not take lectures from people who are totally unqualified lying
down. I tumbled to this when looking at the energy momentum balance of
ion propulsion. I will repeat. There can be no siege colonies without
a Von Neumann machine.

Space colonies are no substitute for working towards world peace and
adherence to arms control treaties.

ASAT and ABM systems

The US has just torn up the ABM treaty. Claim is that protection is
needed from the missile systems of rogue states. Reality is somewhat
different. Poland borders on Russia. It does not border on Iran. It is
hard to see how a radar station in Poland could possibly be relevant
to Iran. Iranian missiles would not go anywhere near. The offer of
President Putin for a station in Azerbaijan, which really does border
on Iran was turned down.
http://www.space4peace.org/asat/asat.htm
ABM systems are also ASAT systems and the most popular is a laser
mounted on a 747. The claim that only an Iranian (or other rogue
state) attack is planned is just rubbish. A laser system is
potentially capable of multiple kills. Technological advances in the
future will greatly expand capability.

Let us look at what ASAT means in practice.
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...s/CHI01177.xml
.. A moments reflection tells you that other countries are going to
respond to the ASAT threat. The Chinese test has been condemned for
the creation of space debris. In fact space is a rather fragile
environment from this viewpoint.

My suggestion is this. Part of defense policy should be directed at
reducing vulnerability and this means using ground based systems for
civil and military purposes even where they would be more expensive
than ground based systems. All civil communication should use fibre
optic cables with terrestrial transmitters on locations like the tops
of hills or tall buildings for mobile applications. You cannot have a
traffic management systems, either for cars or aircraft dependent on
such a fragile environment as space.

US defense policy is based on a contradiction. If you are fighting
terrorist groups or small countries without any aerospace capability,
you are OK. But, against such an enemy the utility of sophisticated
aircraft may be limited anyway. There is absolutely no point in
military secrecy - at least not for technology. A country which is
capable will be able to knock 70-80% of your military capability out
at a stroke, using ASAT weapons and sand. You can give detailed
hypersonic drawings to Al Qaeda or any small country and they could
not make use of them anyway.

All this does have an impact on marketing. Don't imagine that the
reasons why transoceanic passenger jets still use inertial systems is
nothing to do with the above. It might be an idea if in the future
jets flying oceanic journeys used RELATIVE positioning for collision
avoidance. Unless some method can be found of safeguarding the space
environment any cheap launch facility is highly problematic. In 20
years time there might be a market only for deep space scientific
missions and Ultra LEO spy missions. Everything else could be just too
dangerous.

- Ian Parker

Old July 9th 07, 02:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

Ian Parker wrote:

:
:As promised the answers to my Quiz
:

Didn't need 'em. I already gave the answers.

:
:What are dominant and recessive characteristics?
:In any scheme of sexual reproduction genes occur in pairs. A dominant
:characteristic requires only one gene to be present whereas a both
:genes have to be present for a recessive characterisic.
:

Overly simplistic. Many characteristics are determined by more than
two genes. The more of the genes you have, the more of the
characteristic you have.

Hint for my answer - my eyes are blue and my hair is dark brown.

:
:What experiments did Mendel perform and how do they illustrate this.
:Mendel was a monk and he performed experiments on peas in the
:Monastery garden. He cross fertilised them and looked for
:characteristics such as colour and crinkly leaves.
:

Hint for my answer - I spelled 'pea' in "Don't pea yourself" the way I
did on purpose.

:
:How are proteins made? How would I use yeast (say) to make a
articular protein?
:Proteins are strings of amino acids. They are normally made from genes
and enzymes). Enzymes are biological catalysts which are made from a
:gene. Hence a gene is associated with a particular enzyme.
:

Incomplete. A gene is associated with a particular polypeptide. A
polypetide may or may not encode an enzyme. Proteins are made of one
or more polypeptides.

You don't appear to understand this very well.

:
:What are T cells?
:These are white blood cells that do not have any immunological
:activity themselves but act on and optimize other cells.
:

Your question was incomplete, as is your answer. There are multiple
types of T cell. They do other things than "act on and optimize other
cells". Some of them (like cytotoxic T cells) do have immunological
activity of their own against viruses.

:
:How do white blood cells (leukocytes ) operate?
:They bind onto infective agents. As we shall see in a vaccine we only
:need to bind to one site on the infective agent.
:

I liked my answer better. It's also just as good as the VERY
incomplete answer you provide above.

:
:What would you understand by a cell fragment. How might it be made by
:genetic engineering?
:A cell fragment is simply a piece of a cell.
:

Just what I said.

:
:I will not take lectures from people who are totally unqualified lying
:down.
:

Then, given your inadequate answers to your own quiz, you should
probably just shut up.

:
:I tumbled to this when looking at the energy momentum balance of
:ion propulsion. I will repeat. There can be no siege colonies without
:a Von Neumann machine.
:

Hogwash.

:
:ASAT and ABM systems
:
:The US has just torn up the ABM treaty. Claim is that protection is
:needed from the missile systems of rogue states. Reality is somewhat
:different. Poland borders on Russia. It does not border on Iran. It is
:hard to see how a radar station in Poland could possibly be relevant
:to Iran. Iranian missiles would not go anywhere near.
:

Simply wrong. Get a map and draw some Great Circle routes between
Iran and the US East Coast.

:
:The offer of
:President Putin for a station in Azerbaijan, which really does border
n Iran was turned down.
:

Because it's too close to the launch site.

:
:http://www.space4peace.org/asat/asat.htm
:ABM systems are also ASAT systems ...
:

Not necessarily.

:
:... and the most popular is a laser
:mounted on a 747.
:

The "most popular"? With who?

:
:The claim that only an Iranian (or other rogue
:state) attack is planned is just rubbish.
:

Your opinions are, so far, "just rubbish".

:
:A laser system is
otentially capable of multiple kills. Technological advances in the
:future will greatly expand capability.
:

Nobody is putting a laser system in place.

[Remaining silly gibbering elided]

--
"False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the
soul with evil."
Old July 9th 07, 04:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Ian Parker

Mendel's genetics was for simple characteristics. If you take a
concept like intelligence, which you seem to lack, there are many gene
systems involved, that is perfectly true. All I wondered was whether
in view of your complete ignorance on energy and momentum you knew
anything about genetics and vaccines.
:
:The claim that only an Iranian (or other rogue
:state) attack is planned is just rubbish.
:

I thought so. You are merely confirming my picture. If it isn't just
for rogue states it is certain to unleash an arms race. You know I
don't think a low cost launch facility is desirable at all. To protect
the assets we have in space launch costs must be kwept high.

Your opinions are, so far, "just rubbish".

You've just confirmed them.

:
:A laser system is
otentially capable of multiple kills. Technological advances in the
:future will greatly expand capability.
:

Nobody is putting a laser system in place.

Why do all the references talk about a Boeing 747 with a laser. This
is for ABM but ASAT isn't so very different.
[Remaining silly gibbering elided]

--
"False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the
soul with evil."

Hark at Satan condeming sin.

- Ian Parker

Old July 9th 07, 09:34 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jonathan

"Ian Parker" wrote in message
ps.com...
As promised the answers to my Quiz

US defense policy is based on a contradiction. If you are fighting
terrorist groups or small countries without any aerospace capability,
you are OK. But, against such an enemy the utility of sophisticated
aircraft may be limited anyway. There is absolutely no point in
military secrecy - at least not for technology. A country which is
capable will be able to knock 70-80% of your military capability out
at a stroke, using ASAT weapons and sand. You can give detailed
hypersonic drawings to Al Qaeda or any small country and they could
not make use of them anyway.

You have our military strategy all wrong. The new frontiers of space
and cyberspace allow a new opportunity to fight and defend
against the...small or less developed enemies...terrorists.
We are not moving into space to counter large sophisticated
military threats. As China and Russia could easily overwhelm
missile defense, and debris attacts could take out anything
in orbit.

We're moving into the high ground and high tech to give
the individual soldier a full spectrum advantage in low intensity
urban warfare...terrorists.

US Air Force Posture Statement
Space Capabilities in Joint Operations
http://www.posturestatement.hq.af.mil/2_3_fighting.htm

The classic example the military uses for their new
space based warfare is the killing of Al-Zarqawi
in Iraq. Where tips, troops and communication
networks allowed quick and effective response
by US jets.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/i...irstrike_x.htm

The US wants the ability to deploy ...small and highly
accurate payloads anywhere in the world in minutes.
Before the intelligence gets stale. The effects of
these capabilities against larger countries is
marginal for now.

Down the road though...it scares even me~

Imagine the internet twenty or forty years from now, a network
so vast and interconnected it takes on a life of its own.
A machine we can't turn off.

Now imagine a military with the same sort of global
pervasiveness and self-sufficiency.

It's happening as we speak. Truth is always stranger
than fiction.

- Ian Parker

Old July 9th 07, 09:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jonathan

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
Ian Parker wrote:

:

Nobody is putting a laser system in place.

I agree with your other responses about the
defense sites near Russia. But we are going
full tilt towards having military lasers.

Most notably, we have a new military branch
ominously called the Directed Energy Directorate

"The Air Force Research Laboratory's Directed Energy Directorate
develops high-energy lasers, high-power microwaves, and other
directed energy technologies for the United States Air Force
and the Department of Defense. ...to precisely project these
directed energies at the speed of light anywhere, at any time
and with graduated intensity."
http://www.de.afrl.af.mil/

Ya know those C-130's gun platforms we have?
The next armament upgrade appears to be lasers.
http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/ic/leos/index.html

Air Borne Laser (gotta love this jet)
http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/...abl/index.html

And the Starfire range is all about the ability to use lasers
against satellites. They call military lasers...beam directors.
http://www.de.afrl.af.mil/SOR/

Old July 10th 07, 04:09 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

Ian Parker wrote:

Ian 'cleverly' elides most of what he's actually responding to.

:
:Mendel's genetics was for simple characteristics. If you take a
:concept like intelligence, which you seem to lack, there are many gene
:systems involved, that is perfectly true. All I wondered was whether
:in view of your complete ignorance on energy and momentum you knew
:anything about genetics and vaccines.
:

So you wondered based on your own delusions whether some more of your
delusions were true...

: :

YOU wrote the preceding, you lying ******, not me.

:
:If it isn't just
:for rogue states it is certain to unleash an arms race. You know I
:don't think a low cost launch facility is desirable at all. To protect
:the assets we have in space launch costs must be kwept high.
:

You know, I think you're a drooling moron and you just provide more
and more proof for that opinion.

:
: Your opinions are, so far, "just rubbish".
:
:You've just confirmed them.
:

I see. You're just an idiot, then...

:
:
: :
: :A laser system is
: otentially capable of multiple kills. Technological advances in the
: :future will greatly expand capability.
: :
:
: Nobody is putting a laser system in place.
:
:
:Why do all the references talk about a Boeing 747 with a laser. This
:is for ABM but ASAT isn't so very different.
:

All what references, you stupid *******? You're mixing apples and
aardvarks. ASAT is **VERY** different from a boost phase or terminal
phase defense, which is what the follow on to the ABL would be used
for.

: [Remaining silly gibbering elided]
:
: --
: "False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the
: soul with evil."
:
:
:Hark at Satan condeming sin.
:

Hark at Idiot spewing more moronic macaroni...

only stupid."
-- Heinrich Heine
Old July 10th 07, 12:52 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Ian Parker

ps.com...

by US jets.http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/i...arqawi-airstri...

The US wants the ability to deploy ...small and highly
accurate payloads anywhere in the world in minutes.
Before the intelligence gets stale. The effects of
these capabilities against larger countries is
marginal for now.

Down the road though...it scares even me~

Imagine the internet twenty or forty years from now, a network
so vast and interconnected it takes on a life of its own.
A machine we can't turn off.

Now imagine a military with the same sort of global
pervasiveness and self-sufficiency.

It's happening as we speak. Truth is always stranger
than fiction.

What you have said is I think absolutely true. Terrorism exists
because people are brainwashed. It might surprise you to learn that
only 1 in 100 of terrorists are psychotic. Most are misguided idealist
who do function well in groups.

One point which I think we can emphasize is that the Internet is going
to increasingly dominate our information experience.

There is one vital question about cyber war. Is it going to be
directed solely at terrorists or is it going to be directed more
generally against all countries that oppose Uncle Sam. I think that is
the real question. Terrorism is a question of getting the truth across
against Arab proaganda and of countering propaganda against Isreal.
Cyber warfare is a case of putting your own disinformation forward.
The two cases are very different. Also cyber warfare is to do with
interference with the communications and websites of countries like
Estonia. The US is not the only baddie in this, but it is definitely a
baddie.

It may in fact prove not to be possible for the CIA to operate. Any AI
which effectively made the net self repairing and self defending would
immediately annoy the CIA.

- Ian Parker

Old July 10th 07, 01:57 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jim Oberg

"Ian Parker" wrote
The US has just torn up the ABM treaty. Claim is that protection is
needed from the missile systems of rogue states. Reality is somewhat
different. Poland borders on Russia. It does not border on Iran. It is
hard to see how a radar station in Poland could possibly be relevant
to Iran. Iranian missiles would not go anywhere near. The offer of
President Putin for a station in Azerbaijan, which really does border
on Iran was turned down.

Ian, this may shake up your world view, but most of us
have known for a long, long time that the Earth is R-O-U-N-D,
not flat like your head, and that when you draw a string on it from
Iran to closest targets in the United States, the route passes
over - uh, over Poland. Russian missiles headed for the same
targets do NOT pass over Poland, or within range of any ABM
weapon based in Poland.

Azerbaijan is too close to potential Iranian missile sites, which would
be low on the horizon or blocked by mountains, and which would still
be thrusting (i.e., potentially changing course) when they exit the radar's
field of view. Besides, in Azerbaijan, both the local government (not eager
to seek confrontation with Iran) and the Russian government (hardly a party
known to be dedicated to American well-being) have hands on the plug at
a moment's notice. You trust 'em? Let's vote on that judgment.

Like I said, this ROUND concept may make you dizzy for awhile but the
struggle for understanding -- and for restoring your credibility --
is worth it.

Old July 10th 07, 02:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Ian Parker

On 10 Jul, 13:57, "Jim Oberg" wrote:
"Ian Parker" wrote

[...]

That is not the question. It really depends where they are goin. If
they going over the Artic - yes they will cross Poland. It is NOT a
good idea to try an interception in mid flight anyway. The reason is
that aluminium foil and other sorts of decoys will be deployed.

There are 2 points where interception is possible. The first is during
the boost phase where there are no decoys and the rocket is very
fragile. The second is just before reentry where the decoys slow down
faster because of aerodynamic drag. It is a very uncertain business.

Who is say anyway that the destination is the USA. Israel is the
country they are always fulminating against. I also took the trouble
to look up the longitudes of some places. Tehran is 51E. New York is
70W, Seattle is 122W. Seattle therefore is more or less over the North
Pole.

For N Korea no missiles will pass Poland on any target. N Korean
missiles will fly across the Pacific.

What about Europe? Uncle Sam doesn't care a damn about that.

In Azerbaijan there is at least a chance of a booster interception.

Poland makes sense for Russian missiles destined for N Europe, not
really for anything else.

From the above you can say a number of things about ABM. The only

sound concept is a laser based booster interception. Other things are
problematic to say the least. The only really sure fire ABM system is
in fact a series of forts in MEO armed with lasers and capable of
having the whole world in view at any one time. Would violate Outer
Space Treaty - but who cares!

To some extent the present generation of radar stations is window
dressing and to some extent for intelligence gathering. Poland is of
course intelligence on Russia. Talk about ABM is in fact technically
misleading, but it certainly serves to increase tension.

To have MEO forts you need an inexpensive route to LEO (ion drive LEO
- MEO?) something that no one has yet achieved.

- Ian Parker

- Ian Parker

- Ian Parker

Old July 10th 07, 03:40 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 07:57:53 -0500, in a place far, far away, "Jim
Oberg" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

"Ian Parker" wrote
The US has just torn up the ABM treaty. Claim is that protection is
needed from the missile systems of rogue states. Reality is somewhat
different. Poland borders on Russia. It does not border on Iran. It is
hard to see how a radar station in Poland could possibly be relevant
to Iran. Iranian missiles would not go anywhere near. The offer of
President Putin for a station in Azerbaijan, which really does border
on Iran was turned down.

Like I said, this ROUND concept may make you dizzy for awhile but the
struggle for understanding -- and for restoring your credibility --
is worth it.

How does one "restore" something that never existed?