A Space & astronomy forum. SpaceBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SpaceBanter.com forum » Space Science » History
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Hubble: We Don't Need No Stinking Glasses



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old March 12th 05, 02:17 AM
Daydreamer99
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Jorge R. Frank wrote:
"Daydreamer99" wrote in
oups.com:

Damon Hill wrote:

Hubble is dying after having served us so well;
time to put our efforts into a replacement.


Please send my some links of equipment that could replace Hubble.


I'm not Damon, but here's a link anyway:

http://www.pha.jhu.edu/hop/

HOP would definitely be both cheaper and more likely to succeed than

HST
robotic servicing.

An HST shuttle servicing mission would be more likely to succeed than

HOP,
and the costs look to be pretty much a wash.
--
JRF

Reply-to address spam-proofed - to reply by E-mail,
check "Organization" (I am not assimilated) and
think one step ahead of IBM.



Jorge,

I understand sometimes you have to make way for better things, but in a
plug and play world I believe that NASA training of personnel is great.
Maybe I'm making light of things but if I want to service my washer
dryer let not make a production about it. Training the personell to do
the task is the what is important reosurce. When I was a little boy,
my brother brought me a Radio Shack electronic radio. The same day I
got antoher radio but a better model. Do I through away the lesser
model or can I use it to compare and contrast information?

Ads
  #32  
Old March 12th 05, 05:15 PM
Jorge R. Frank
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Daydreamer99" wrote in
ups.com:

Jorge R. Frank wrote:
"Daydreamer99" wrote in
oups.com:

Damon Hill wrote:

Hubble is dying after having served us so well;
time to put our efforts into a replacement.

Please send my some links of equipment that could replace Hubble.


I'm not Damon, but here's a link anyway:

http://www.pha.jhu.edu/hop/

HOP would definitely be both cheaper and more likely to succeed than

HST
robotic servicing.

An HST shuttle servicing mission would be more likely to succeed than

HOP,
and the costs look to be pretty much a wash.


I understand sometimes you have to make way for better things, but in a
plug and play world I believe that NASA training of personnel is great.


Thanks! :-)

Maybe I'm making light of things but if I want to service my washer
dryer let not make a production about it. Training the personell to do
the task is the what is important reosurce.


It may be an important resource, but it's not the biggest cost driver. In
the case of HST servicing, getting the personnel safely to and from the
worksite is the biggest cost driver.

When I was a little boy,
my brother brought me a Radio Shack electronic radio. The same day I
got antoher radio but a better model. Do I through away the lesser
model or can I use it to compare and contrast information?


The cost of ownership of a radio is trivial, so if you've got room in your
house to store it, I say "go for it."

Now, did your dad do the same thing with cars? When he bought a new car,
did he keep the old one (or all the old ones, if you owned more than one
car)? Probably not - otherwise you'd wind up with a front yard full of old
cars. Keeping a bunch of old cars in running condition is expensive. So
most people trade in their oldest car when they buy a new one.

In the case of HST, the analogy is not an old car in your driveway - it's
an old car that is off on the side of the highway hundreds of miles away,
and the only repairman who has a truck to reach your car is going to charge
you the cost of a new car to go fix your old one.

Does it still make sense to fix the old car, or spend the money on a new
one with a warranty and everything?

--
JRF

Reply-to address spam-proofed - to reply by E-mail,
check "Organization" (I am not assimilated) and
think one step ahead of IBM.
  #33  
Old March 12th 05, 06:47 PM
OM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On 12 Mar 2005 17:15:07 GMT, "Jorge R. Frank"
wrote:

Does it still make sense to fix the old car, or spend the money on a new
one with a warranty and everything?


....If the old car is a 1966 George Barris Batmobile, the answer's
quite simple, actually.

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for | http://www.io.com/~o_m
his country. He won it by making the other | Sergeant-At-Arms
poor dumb ******* die for his country." | Human O-Ring Society

- General George S. Patton, Jr
  #34  
Old March 13th 05, 05:45 PM
Daydreamer99
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Well I don't want to get caught up analogies but let the kids drive the
old car. LOH

What I'm getting at I understand safety is the first thing to worry
about. But I'm looking for a routine. I not a flight expert, but what
routine things that a crew should know.
1. How to launch.
2. How to land.
3. How to fly in space with fuel consumption in mind.

Next you have you specialty people to complete the task at hand. I
know each mission failure sometime be small. But don't have a fear of
failure.

Our discussion boils down to we have been crawling for a while lets
walk.

  #35  
Old March 13th 05, 08:06 PM
Jorge R. Frank
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Daydreamer99" wrote in
ups.com:

Well I don't want to get caught up analogies but let the kids drive the
old car. LOH


Again, would you still feel that way if the repairman tells you it will
cost as much, or more, to fix the old car than to buy a new one?

What I'm getting at I understand safety is the first thing to worry
about. But I'm looking for a routine. I not a flight expert, but what
routine things that a crew should know.
1. How to launch.
2. How to land.
3. How to fly in space with fuel consumption in mind.

Next you have you specialty people to complete the task at hand. I
know each mission failure sometime be small. But don't have a fear of
failure.


I don't have a fear of failure. I favor sending a shuttle to HST. But
nothing you've written addresses the real risks or the real costs. Training
has little to do with either, in this case.

--
JRF

Reply-to address spam-proofed - to reply by E-mail,
check "Organization" (I am not assimilated) and
think one step ahead of IBM.
  #36  
Old March 14th 05, 03:10 AM
Daydreamer99
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Jorge R. Frank wrote:
"Daydreamer99" wrote in
ups.com:

Well I don't want to get caught up analogies but let the kids drive

the
old car. LOH


Again, would you still feel that way if the repairman tells you it

will
cost as much, or more, to fix the old car than to buy a new one?

What I'm getting at I understand safety is the first thing to worry
about. But I'm looking for a routine. I not a flight expert, but

what
routine things that a crew should know.
1. How to launch.
2. How to land.
3. How to fly in space with fuel consumption in mind.

Next you have you specialty people to complete the task at hand. I
know each mission failure sometime be small. But don't have a fear

of
failure.


I don't have a fear of failure. I favor sending a shuttle to HST. But


nothing you've written addresses the real risks or the real costs.

Training
has little to do with either, in this case.

--
JRF

Reply-to address spam-proofed - to reply by E-mail,
check "Organization" (I am not assimilated) and
think one step ahead of IBM.


  #37  
Old March 14th 05, 03:15 AM
Daydreamer99
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I like our conversations. If you have the time enlighten me.

  #38  
Old March 17th 05, 04:56 AM
Jorge R. Frank
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Daydreamer99" wrote in
ups.com:

I like our conversations. If you have the time enlighten me.


Any subject in particular, or enlightenment in general? :-)

--
JRF

Reply-to address spam-proofed - to reply by E-mail,
check "Organization" (I am not assimilated) and
think one step ahead of IBM.
  #39  
Old March 19th 05, 11:48 PM
Pat Flannery
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default



rk wrote:

Any subject in particular, or enlightenment in general? :-)



42.




So that's it...and I thought it was 23... ;-)

Hagbard Celine
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
John Hopkins-Led Team Present 3rd Hubble Option [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 February 3rd 05 12:13 AM
NASA Is Not Giving Up On Hubble! (Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 2 May 2nd 04 01:46 PM
Congressional Resolutions on Hubble Space Telescope EFLASPO Amateur Astronomy 0 April 1st 04 03:26 PM
Don't Desert Hubble Scott M. Kozel Space Shuttle 54 March 5th 04 04:38 PM
Hubble images being colorized to enhance their appeal for public - LA Times Rusty B Policy 4 September 15th 03 10:38 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 SpaceBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.