RIP Pat Flannery?

Old December 9th 11, 08:26 AM posted to sci.space.history
Bob Haller

Default RIP Pat Flannery?

On Dec 8, 10:35*pm, "
wrote:
On Dec 8, 9:00*am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

Hmm, strikes me the proper way to remember Pat is if no one claims his ashes
to claim them and get some into orbit.

Yes, how much would that cost?

Nothing, if done properly. The proper way to honor Pat: *steal* his
ashes. Mix some of them in with some paint. Load the mix into
paintballs. Sneak into a launch facility and nail the upper stage of
some booster preparing to launch a comsat into GEO. Prefarably a
comstat scheduled to broadcast bad made-for-SyFy channel movies
featuring scantily clad talentless actresses.

It's what he would've wanted.

add pats name to a space probe of some type as a remberence.

nasa has offered that in the past
Old December 11th 11, 03:14 PM posted to sci.space.history
Robert Clark[_2_]

On Dec 9, 3:26*am, bob haller wrote:
On Dec 8, 10:35*pm, "

wrote:
On Dec 8, 9:00*am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

Hmm, strikes me the proper way to remember Pat is if no one claims his ashes
to claim them and get some into orbit.

Yes, how much would that cost?

Nothing, if done properly. The proper way to honor Pat: *steal* his
ashes. Mix some of them in with some paint. Load the mix into
paintballs. Sneak into a launch facility and nail the upper stage of
some booster preparing to launch a comsat into GEO. Prefarably a
comstat scheduled to broadcast bad made-for-SyFy channel movies
featuring scantily clad talentless actresses.

It's what he would've wanted.

add pats name to a space probe of some type as a remberence.

nasa has offered that in the past

I like that suggestion.
To confirm it was him, perhaps someone could contact that local
newspaper and ask for the person who does the obits. There may have
more knowledge about him.
According to wikipedia Jamestown, ND is only a town of 15,000 people.
Someone at the news paper may have known him personally.

Bob Clark
Old December 22nd 11, 08:33 AM posted to sci.space.history
Doc Smartass[_2_]

" wrote in
:

Is this *our* Pat Flannery?
http://www.jamestownsun.com/event/obituary/id/145730/

"Patrick C. Flannery, 54, Jamestown, died Monday, Oct. 3, 2011, at his
home."

Pithy.

Haven't lurked here in awhile, kind of late in offering condolences...but
Pat always seemed like a good guy.

Gonna miss the "Komerade!" posts.
Old January 1st 12, 08:39 PM posted to sci.space.history
Andre Lieven[_3_]

On Dec 22 2011, 3:33*am, Doc Smartass
wrote:
" wrote innews:
:

Is this *our* Pat Flannery?
http://www.jamestownsun.com/event/obituary/id/145730/

"Patrick C. Flannery, 54, Jamestown, died Monday, Oct. 3, 2011, at his
home."

Pithy.

Haven't lurked here in awhile, kind of late in offering condolences...but
Pat always seemed like a good guy.

Gonna miss the "Komerade!" posts.

FWIW, I was cleaning up my e-mail folders, and I found two mails from
Pat, that I did reply to, dated the 23rd of September. So, what took
him
down must have happened fairly quickly.

Sigh.

Andre
Old January 2nd 12, 04:22 AM posted to sci.space.history
Dale Carlson

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 12:39:41 -0800 (PST), Andre Lieven

FWIW, I was cleaning up my e-mail folders, and I found two mails from
Pat, that I did reply to, dated the 23rd of September. So, what took
him down must have happened fairly quickly.

Sigh.

I miss Pat a lot. I hope his family knows how many people
enjoyed sharing the planet with him.

Dale
Old January 15th 12, 11:13 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jochem Huhmann

" writes:

Is this *our* Pat Flannery?
http://www.jamestownsun.com/event/obituary/id/145730/

"Patrick C. Flannery, 54, Jamestown, died Monday, Oct. 3, 2011, at his
home."

Pithy.

Oh my!

I have been going away and coming back to these groups over and over and
often enough it was Pat who drew me back. In fact I came back right now
because I needed a fix of good-humoured spaceflight-related wisdom and
reading something astute about that fscking Phobos probe that made it just
to the Pacific Ocean. Finding out that Pat has launched to the Final
Mission really throws me off.

How unfair is this? Pat could have had happily done what he did for
decades to come, he didn't do no harm to noone and was just someone who
made the world a nicer, more interesting, less boring, more
knowledgeable and funnier place to be in. He was the exact opposite to
all the nutcases and cooks and trolls that seem to take over these
groups more and more.

I'm really, really sad now.

Godspeed, Pat!

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."
Old January 16th 12, 12:17 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
David Spain

Jochem Huhmann wrote:
Oh my!

Pat would have appreciated the kind words.

I think we all feel pretty much the same as you.
Pat will be / *is* sorely missed.

As a strong provider of signal vs noise, I urge you to continue to return from
time to time!

Dave