Mars and Africa

Old May 23rd 06, 04:54 PM posted to sci.space.moderated

Default Mars and Africa

On Tue, 23 May 2006 11:49:41 -0400, in a place far, far away, Graham
Drabble made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

On 23 May 2006 (Derek Lyons) wrote in
:

But that takes thinking - something you are markedly incapable of
doing of the topic is Bush.

Can I just remind people this is sci.space.moderated, not soc.politics
or talk.insults! I know there is an overlap between space and politics
but can people just bare this in mind please.

That's why I've been snipping most of Pat's deranged nonsense.

Old May 23rd 06, 06:11 PM posted to sci.space.moderated

LooseChanj wrote:

A former head of Mossad was on the Daily Show a couple weeks ago saying he
felt that it was entirely possible those WMD's were actually there, and giving
an example of a whole squadron of fighters the Iraqis had buried to avoid having
them shot down.

Yeah, I saw photos of one of the buried Mig-25's. But somehow having
your fighters buried in sand during the enemy attack seems to defeat the
purpose of having them in the first place.

Why an Israeli intelligence officer would buy into the whole
Iraqi WMD thing is left as an exercise for the reader.

"That grail must most certainly be around here somewhere, prithee keep
looking! You there, bold knight...lookith over by yonder rabbit." :-)

Pat

Old May 23rd 06, 06:22 PM posted to sci.space.moderated

Derek Lyons wrote:

Ah, yes...record gas prices at the same time as record oil company
profits, and coincidentally an oil man as president.
A connection to the war in Iraq?:

Probably not.

If your markup is 5% over costs, you'll have record profits everytime
your costs increase when your market is essentially guaranteed.

In short then, the higher the oil prices, the more profit you make. In
regard to that, read this:
http://www.maconareaonline.com/news.asp?id=10198
Which might be summarized as "How the neocons got taken to the cleaners
by Big Oil, and how OPEC is Big Oil's best friend."

But that takes thinking - something you are markedly incapable of
doing of the topic is Bush.

The last part of that sentence's phrasing would do credit to the
President himself. :-D

Pat

Old May 23rd 06, 06:49 PM posted to sci.space.moderated

Graham Drabble wrote:

Can I just remind people this is sci.space.moderated, not soc.politics
or talk.insults! I know there is an overlap between space and politics
but can people just bare this in mind please.

Yeah, we have drifted badly off topic, and I'll stop posting on this.
Okay, back on topic:
Up on Mars, The amazing immortal Opportunity Rover is closing in on the
half-mile-wide Victoria Crater:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12875359/
Which should really be something to see. We've certainly gotten our
money's worth out of the two rovers, and they will probably be
remembered right up there with Voyagers 1 and 2 as NASA's most
successful unmanned missions to date.

Pat

Old May 23rd 06, 06:50 PM posted to sci.space.moderated

Rand Simberg wrote:

Myths debunked:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editor...l?id=110008415

And once again we check who the writer is.
Peter Wehner is a speechwriter for President Bush.
He is also Deputy Assistant to the President and Director of Strategic
Initiatives for President.
He is also an aide to Karl Rove.
Here, back in 1996, when he was director of Empower America*, a
conservative Christian advocacy group, he tells us what Christ was
trying to give us as a message, and the danger of Christians getting
sucked into politics.
If he'd only listened to his own advice:
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/VA-news/VA...8/04260488.htm
....or actually believed it for that matter.

* Whose most famous founding member was probably William Bennett, who
wrote "The Book Of Virtues" and followed it up with the smash hit
sequel "Christ's Sure-Fire Strategy For Betting On The Ponies!" . :-D

Pat

Old May 23rd 06, 06:51 PM posted to sci.space.moderated

On Tue, 23 May 2006 13:22:55 -0400, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in

Derek Lyons wrote:

But that takes thinking - something you are markedly incapable of
doing of the topic is Bush.

The last part of that sentence's phrasing would do credit to the
President himself. :-D

It's called a "typo," Patrick. The "I" and the "O" keys are right
next to each other on our keyboards (can't speak as to yours). And
he's right, as you demonstrate almost every time you post about Bush,
or politics in general.

Old May 23rd 06, 07:21 PM posted to sci.space.moderated

Default Mars (was Mars and Africa)

Up on Mars, The amazing immortal Opportunity Rover is closing in on
the half-mile-wide Victoria Crater:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12875359/

Ah, I didn't realize it was still driving during the winter (I knew it
didn't need to worry as much as Spirit, being in a more equatorial
location, but I didn't know that it would still be able to move).

That's a nice summary of where things are now; another source is
http://www.marstoday.com/news/news.html?mid=58

There's a picture from Opportunity which shows that Victoria Crater is
now within view:
http://www.marstoday.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=20635

Old May 23rd 06, 08:24 PM posted to sci.space.moderated

On Tue, 23 May 2006 13:50:07 -0400, in a place far, far away, Pat

Rand Simberg wrote:

Myths debunked:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editor...l?id=110008415

And once again we check who the writer is.

And once again we have an ad hominem attack, devoid of any rebuttal to
the argument. Once again, we understand why many don't take Pat
Flannery seriously, particularly with regard to his foolish political
opinions.

Old May 23rd 06, 08:33 PM posted to sci.space.moderated

On Tue, 23 May 2006 15:24:41 -0400, in a place far, far away,
h (Rand Simberg) made the phosphor on my

Rand Simberg wrote:

Myths debunked:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editor...l?id=110008415

And once again we check who the writer is.

And once again we have an ad hominem attack, devoid of any rebuttal to
the argument. Once again, we understand why many don't take Pat
Flannery seriously, particularly with regard to his foolish political
opinions.

Here, Pat. Let's watch you attack Professor (and former head of the
Executive Committee of the National Space Society) Glenn Reynolds now
(since you obviously are incapable of responding to the substance).

http://instapundit.com/archives/022447.php