Thursday's Sun, 2003/7/17

Old July 18th 03, 08:54 AM
Dave Mitsky

Default Thursday's Sun, 2003/7/17

I joined my friend Tony Donnangelo for a bit of solar observing on
Thursday morning. Using his Lumicon Solar Prominence H-alpha filter
and Takahashi FS-102 apochromat we viewed only a few minor
prominences. However, in white light through a Baader AstroSolar
filter the sun's disk was sprinkled with sunspots. AR 10409 and 10410
were the standouts.

Dave Mitsky
Harrisburg, PA
Old July 18th 03, 11:52 AM
Mark Rosengarten

However, in white light through a Baader AstroSolar
filter the sun's disk was sprinkled with sunspots. AR 10409 and 10410
were the standouts.

AR410 spewed forth a bunch of C-class flares while I watched it late yesterday
morning. It's a very active region with the brightest plage I have seen in a
while. There are also a tremendous number of large filaments on the surface,
making yesterday's sketch take quite a long time.

Mark
The Catman
^..^

www.geocities.com/mark_rosengarten
Owner/Coordinator of the Neko Ultraportable Solar Observatory
Fun WITH The Sun for Everyone!