Orange SCT mystique should DIE!

Old July 18th 03, 04:58 AM

Default Orange SCT mystique should DIE!

Over the last 10 years, the quality of SCTs from Celestron and Meade
has improved hugely. Especially in terms of consistency. At this
point, I would say that the old idea about the 1970s Orange C8's
being optically better than current SCTs is now an incorrect
assumption. I owned about 6-7 Orange C8s and many more of the
black C8+ and Ultima types, along with Meade's and I can say that
although some were very good, they are not as good (especially given
current coating technology now) as current units.
But, I did prefer the duller, more dignified orange and grey paint
job from back then than the gaudy shiny black paint job they sported
later, or the cheap looking grey paint Celestron now uses.
I'll withold opinion on the larger models until I see through enough
of the newer 11's and 14s.
-Rich
Old July 18th 03, 11:50 AM
Rod Mollise

I would say that the old idea about the 1970s Orange C8's
being optically better than current SCTs is now an incorrect

Hi Rich:

I agree. There were many very good ones, but, if nothing else, the lack of
Starbright hurts 'em in comparison to today's scopes. Sure look fine, though,
especially the originals with that beautiful sand-cast fork.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html