ASTRO: VII Zw 941: Another Arp could have included in his atlas

Old September 25th 12, 06:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: VII Zw 941: Another Arp could have included in his atlas

VII Zw 941 is another one Arp missed. It would fit with his category
for spirals with high surface brightness companions on the arm except
that arm is mostly missing. So it might also fit his one armed spiral
category. It is located in Cepheus 1.6 degrees west of NGC 188. Both
are very red as are the other galaxies in the image. There is some blue
extinction at this galactic latitude but not enough to account for all
these red galaxies. Apparently they just are red. The CGPG catalog
note on this galaxy pair says: "...red pair of Sc (galaxies) with
compact core and spherical compact." NED doesn't attempt to classify
either. The main one does appear Sc with a compact core but I'm not
sure about the companion. Hard to tell if that's its fuzz around it or
remains of the missing spiral arm of the brighter galaxy. In any case
the pair is listed at a redshift that puts them about a half billion
light years distant. NED has no redshift data for any other galaxy in
the field, not even the companion. NED shows a correct position for the
main galaxy and for the companion but it also lists a third entry with
nothing at that position. Since the only note they have is identical in
all three I assume it is referring to this pair. But I can't make any
sense out of the third entry.

No other galaxy in the image has any distance data. Therefore I've not
prepared an annotated image.

The field, being near the pole, is enveloped in the IFN associated with
the pole area. My exposures weren't long enough to really bring it out
but it is responsible for all the faint nebulosity in the field.

The blue glow at bottom right is due to a star that was giving me fits.
I moved the field low thinking I'd moved it out of the field far
enough but it managed to get its glow into the image anyway. Might as
well left it in the image.

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PGC71497L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	4290  Click image for larger version

Name:	PGC71497L4X10RGB2X10-CROP125.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	4291
Old September 26th 12, 09:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

this one sure qualifies for the "heavy arm" category...

Stefan