D.Y.K? -- Making the Moon a Star

Old January 24th 04, 07:02 AM
Painius

Default D.Y.K? -- Making the Moon a Star

Most people know how i feel about the Moon. For me it is
one of the most interesting studies in the sky, and a planet
in its own right. And i just love studying the Moon through
telescopes and photographs.

This DYK is about that thing some of you like to do on clear
dark nights...

Did You Know?...

We can all thank a couple of Frenchmen for the invention
and development of photography. The first object we can
call a photograph was produced in 1822 by the inventor
Joseph Nicéphore Niepce (pron. NEE - ps). The process
at first wasn't really practical, though. It required an exposure
of as long as eight hours.

Niepce became bankrupt, and in 1829 went into partnership
with the French artist Louis Jacques Mandé Daguerre (pron.
da - gair), who was also working on the process. Daguerre
improved it to such an extent that he usually is considered
the inventor of photography!

And How About That DIGITAL Photography. Has anybody
invented a truly long-exposure digital camera yet? One that
can be used for those looooooong astro shots? Something
more than say 5 minutes? Anybody working on it?

--
happy days and...
starry starry nights!

Paine Ellsworth

Old January 24th 04, 09:15 AM
onegod

With digital, you dont want too long exposure in fact, they even have
adaptive laser ones that correct for atmosphere at fraction of second.
Beauty of digital is that many pictures can easily be added.

Old January 24th 04, 10:30 AM
Painius

"onegod" wrote in message...

With digital, you dont want too long exposure in fact, they even have
adaptive laser ones that correct for atmosphere at fraction of second.
Beauty of digital is that many pictures can easily be added.

Okay, you lost me here. Say you want to take a picture of
a galaxy. With a certain exposure time, you might just get
the central hub of the galaxy. Expose a little longer and you
get a bit of the spiral near the hub. A longer exposure gets
you the whole galaxy.

What i'm asking here is has anyone invented a digital
camera yet that can expose long enough to get the images
you want of dim objects?

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Your heart up hanging on the wall
Just dripping tears so painfully,

Protected from all manner, form
And shape of harm it will e'er be,
If you say no, I fade and die,
I need your heart inside me.

Paine Ellsworth

Old January 24th 04, 11:54 AM
Jeroen Smaal

"Painius" wrote in message

Okay, you lost me here. Say you want to take a picture of
a galaxy. With a certain exposure time, you might just get
the central hub of the galaxy. Expose a little longer and you
get a bit of the spiral near the hub. A longer exposure gets
you the whole galaxy.

What i'm asking here is has anyone invented a digital
camera yet that can expose long enough to get the images
you want of dim objects?

Sure. What's an astronomical CCD other than a specialized digital camera?
Just looking around on the internet you will find many images made with
astronomical CCD cameras of dim objects, with exposure times of many hours.

Some recent consumer digital SLRs (like the Canon EOS 300D) are capable of
exposures of up to 10 minutes or even longer. See this site for some
excellent examples of what can be done with a modern consumer digital
camera:

http://panther-observatory.com (follow the "Gallery/deepsky" links)
http://velatron.com/dca/gallery/

Most of these have been made with a Canon D60.

Jeroen.

Old January 24th 04, 03:12 PM
Painius

"Jeroen Smaal" wrote...
in message . nl...

"Painius" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, Jeroen! Are these reliable? I have read that many
cameras that *say* they do long exposures don't actually
deliver the goods. Or after you buy them, you have to figure
out a way to make it do long exp.s because the manual for
the camera does not make it clear how to do it.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

Old January 24th 04, 06:25 PM
Jeroen Smaal

"Painius" wrote in message
"Jeroen Smaal" wrote...
in message . nl...

"Painius" wrote in message

Thanks, Jeroen! Are these reliable? I have read that many
cameras that *say* they do long exposures don't actually
deliver the goods. Or after you buy them, you have to figure
out a way to make it do long exp.s because the manual for
the camera does not make it clear how to do it.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

Hi Paine,

I'm very certain these are reliable. These pictures are made with fairly
high-end cameras operated by very capable amateur astronomers (this off
course is not proof in itself). To get the amount of detail that shows in
these pictures, they MUST have done long exposures.

With SLRs (either digital or analog) long exposures are usually done with
manual timing (i.e. using a cable release to open and close the shutter), so
the operator knows exactly how long the shutter has been open.

Jeroen.