Can somebody tell me what sign I am exactly

Old January 23rd 04, 05:43 AM
Odysseus

starman wrote:

How do astrologers deal with the fact that the sun is no longer in the
constellation corresponding to a persons birth date because of
precession of the earth's axis during the past few thousand years? I
wouldn't be surprised if most astrologers don't even know about this.

There are plenty doing "sidereal" astrology, ranging from those who
use "tropical" charts but correct for precession (e.g. since a
subject's birth), to practitioners of the traditional Indian or
"Vedic" system. Among those who define "signs" WRT the stars various
points on the ecliptic are taken to be the origin of the "sidereal
longitude" coordinate; one popular system sets the longitude of
Aldebaran at 45° (the middle of "Taurus"), which puts Antares very
near 225° (the middle of Scorpio). FWIW _The American Ephemeris_ says
that the "synetic vernal point" is currently at 335°12'23" ecliptic longitude.

Note also that there are a great many astrological techniques in use
to which signs are irrelevant.

--
Odysseus
Old January 23rd 04, 06:35 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:17:16 -0500, starman wrote:

How do astrologers deal with the fact that the sun is no longer in the
constellation corresponding to a persons birth date because of
precession of the earth's axis during the past few thousand years? I
wouldn't be surprised if most astrologers don't even know about this.

Different astrologers do it different ways. Since astrological predictions are
meaningless, of course, it doesn't matter what method is used. As a
pseudoscience, the results are untestable.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old January 24th 04, 09:16 AM
Odysseus

Chris L Peterson wrote:

Different astrologers do it different ways. Since astrological predictions are
meaningless, of course, it doesn't matter what method is used. As a
pseudoscience, the results are untestable.

Plenty of astrological claims are testable to a degree, with the aid
of statistical techniques, but when so tested they almost always fail
to be supported by the data.

--
Odysseus
Old January 24th 04, 05:01 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:16:36 GMT, Odysseus wrote:

Plenty of astrological claims are testable to a degree, with the aid
of statistical techniques, but when so tested they almost always fail
to be supported by the data.

"Almost always"? g

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old January 24th 04, 07:40 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

The only sign I can think of having is the Italian sign. A one finger
salute for the poster that that needs a sign. Bert

Old January 25th 04, 12:20 AM
Odysseus

Chris L Peterson wrote:

"Almost always"? g

If your target for statistical significance is p.01, for example,
you should expect about one trial in a hundred to show a
"significant" result. That's why replication is needed before such a
result can be considered valid.

--
Odysseus