Can any post a link with pics of spots in Jupiter's atmosphere caused by the Galieo probe?

Old January 22nd 04, 09:38 AM
Space Ace

Default Can any post a link with pics of spots in Jupiter's atmosphere caused by the Galieo probe?

I rememeber hearing about this a couple of months ago.
Old January 22nd 04, 06:54 PM
David Knisely

Space Ace posted:

I rememeber hearing about this a couple of months ago.

I'm afraid you heard wrong. Galileo was much too small to make any
significant impact on Jupiter's atmosphere. Any spots seen were those which
the atmosphere often develops on its own. Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 18-23, 2004, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old January 23rd 04, 06:12 AM
David Knisely

Wuz posted:

Space Ace is right about what he said. Galileo had some kind of
radioactive battery attached to it. When it plunged into Jup's
atmosphere, it cased huge blemishes.

No, he is not. The RTG was too small and the Plutonium Oxide it carried is
not able to cause an explosion (its the wrong kind). Galileo burned up on
entry. Its as simple as that. Again, spots appear and vanish quite often in
Jupiter's cloud deck (I know, I frequently watch them come and go).

Old January 23rd 04, 08:02 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Wuz
writes
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:54:43 -0600, David Knisely
wrote:

Space Ace posted:

I rememeber hearing about this a couple of months ago.

I'm afraid you heard wrong. Galileo was much too small to make any
significant impact on Jupiter's atmosphere. Any spots seen were those which
the atmosphere often develops on its own. Clear skies to you.

Space Ace is right about what he said. Galileo had some kind of
radioactive battery attached to it. When it plunged into Jup's
atmosphere, it cased huge blemishes.

Reference please - and not Hoagland or the Weekly World News.
--
Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10