A Space & astronomy forum. SpaceBanter.com

Go Back   Home » SpaceBanter.com forum » Others » Astro Pictures
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Astro: Ic 59/63

Old September 24th 16, 09:34 PM

First recorded activity by SpaceBanter: Aug 2008
Default Astro: Ic 59/63

I have done a bit of imaging with colour cameras (QHY8, several DSLRs), but the ASI1600MC cool is the first one that I am really having fun with.
It is the perfect match for my Celestron RASA, at f/2.2 the lower QE of a colour camera does not really matter.

Originally I only wanted to sync the DSC of my G11 mount on gamma Cas but decided to stay on that field after a short test exposure.
Conditions were very good by city standards, still I had the usual nasty gradients plus a beautiful blue reflection of gamma Cas.

Taken from Berlin with a Celestron RASA on a G11 mount, ASI1600MC cool camera plus IDAS LPS-P2 filter, 189x1 minutes.

Stefan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IC59IC63-189x1-66%25gut.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	6412  

Last edited by slilge : September 24th 16 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Edited because I forgot my name at the end ;-)
Old September 25th 16, 12:49 AM

First recorded activity by SpaceBanter: Feb 2008

Canon has finally released there super duper low light camera http://petapixel.com/2015/07/30/cano...000000-camera/. Only $30,000. Yours seems to be more cost effective.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slilge View Post
I have done a bit of imaging with colour cameras (QHY8, several DSLRs), but the ASI1600MC cool is the first one that I am really having fun with.
It is the perfect match for my Celestron RASA, at f/2.2 the lower QE of a colour camera does not really matter.

Originally I only wanted to sync the DSC of my G11 mount on gamma Cas but decided to stay on that field after a short test exposure.
Conditions were very good by city standards, still I had the usual nasty gradients plus a beautiful blue reflection of gamma Cas.

Taken from Berlin with a Celestron RASA on a G11 mount, ASI1600MC cool camera plus IDAS LPS-P2 filter, 189x1 minutes.

Stefan
Old September 26th 16, 11:53 PM

First recorded activity by SpaceBanter: Aug 2008

Well, if I remember it right this camera has 19 micron pixels, so one would need a focal length like you have for a good image scale :-)

The very small pixels of the ASI1600 are not ideal for long focal lenghts as like most CMOS chips it doesn't have hardware binning.
That said, even with software binning the ASI1600 has much lower read noise than all CCD chips except for EMCCD.

Stefan