Daily 3423

Old August 11th 03, 06:36 PM

Default Daily 3423

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE

DAILY REPORT****** # 3423

PERIOD COVERED: DOYs 220-222

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS 9658

ACS Earth Flats

This program will obtain sequences of flat field images by observing
the bright Earth. Several UV filters from the interim calibration
program {9564} require additional exposures to obtain the required
illumination. A few UV filters from this program will be repeated to
monitor for changes in the flat fields and to verify the interim
results. Since no streaks are observed in the UV, the wavelength
coverage is extended to longer wavelengths in order to explore the
severity of streaks in the flats from clouds in the FOV. We have added
exposures for the HRC in the visible filters to verify the results
derived from the L-flat campaign and to explore the severity of
streaks. We have also added exposures on WFC using the minimum
exposure time and using filters which will not saturate the brightest
WFC pixel by more than 10 times the full well.

ACS 9760

ACS Imaging of the Gemini Deep Deep Survey Fields: Galaxy Assembly at
z = 1.5

We are presently carrying out the deepest redshift survey ever
undertaken {the Gemini Deep Deep Survey}. Spectra of extraordinary
quality have been taken in order to obtain redshifts in the so-called
"redshift desert" at 1z2. This redshift range corresponds to the
epoch of peak galaxy formation. In this proposal we request 40 orbits
of ACS imaging to determine the morphologies of 100-120 candidate
early-type galaxies with known redshifts in our survey fields. We seek
to determine if these systems are indeed elliptical galaxies and to
link their morphological states to their spectroscopically determined
ages, recent star-formation histories, and to the evolving global
stellar mass function at the peak epoch of galaxy assembly.

ACS 9787

ACS Monitoring of the Polarization of the Crab Nebula

We propose to use the ACS to follow the changing polarization of
relativistically moving wisps in the Crab Nebula. Making use of the
known geometry of the wisps, these observations will allow us to fully
characterize the radiation field from the wisps as a function of
direction relative to the axis of the wisp. These observations will
provide detailed information on such hard-to-measure properties as the
pitch-angle distribution of the radiating particles, and will help to
constrain models of the flow. More generally, these observations will
add to the already rich observational legacy of HST on what is
arguably the most important single object in astrophysics.

ACS 9482

ACS Pure Parallel Lyman-Alpha Emission Survey {APPLES}

Ly-alpha line emission is an efficient tool for identifying young
galaxies at high redshift, because it is strong in galaxies with young
stars and little or no dust --- properties expected in galaxies
undergoing their first burst of star- formation. Slitless spectroscopy
with the ACS Wide-Field Camera and G800L grism allows an unmatched
search efficiency for such objects over the uninterrupted range 4 ~ z
~ 7. We propose the ACS Pure Parallel Ly-alpha Emission Survey
{``APPLES''}, to exploit this unique HST capability and so obtain the
largest and most uniform sample of high redshift Ly-alpha emitters
yet. Parallel observations will allow this survey to be conducted with
minimal impact on HST resources, and we will place reduced images and
extracted spectra in the public domain within three months of
observation. We aim to find ~ 1000 Ly-alpha emitters, 5 times the
biggest current sample of Ly-alpha emitters. This unprecedented sample
will provide robust statistics on the populations and evolution of
Ly-alpha emitters between redshifts 4--7; a robust measurement of the
reionization redshift completely independent of the Gunn-Peterson
trough; spatial clustering information for Ly-alpha emitters which
would let us probe their bias function and hence halo mass as a
function of redshift; many galaxies at redshift exceeding 6; and lower
redshift serendipitous discoveries.

ACS 9675

CCD Daily Monitor

This program consists of basic tests to monitor, the read noise, the
development of hot pixels and test for any source of noise in ACS CCD
detectors. This programme will be executed once a day for the entire
lifetime of ACS.

ACS 9984

Cosmic Shear With ACS Pure Parallels

Small distortions in the shapes of background galaxies by foreground
mass provide a powerful method of directly measuring the amount and
distribution of dark matter. Several groups have recently detected
this weak lensing by large-scale structure, also called cosmic shear.
The high resolution and sensitivity of HST/ACS provide a unique
opportunity to measure cosmic shear accurately on small scales. Using
260 parallel orbits in Sloan textiti {F775W} we will measure for the
first time: beginlistosetlength sep0cm setlengthemsep0cm setlength
opsep0cm em the cosmic shear variance on scales 0.7 arcmin, em the
skewness of the shear distribution, and em the magnification effect.
endlist Our measurements will determine the amplitude of the mass
power spectrum sigma_8Omega_m^0.5, with signal-to-noise {s/n} ~ 20,
and the mass density Omega_m with s/n=4. They will be done at small
angular scales where non-linear effects dominate the power spectrum,
providing a test of the gravitational instability paradigm for
structure formation. Measurements on these scales are not possible
from the ground, because of the systematic effects induced by PSF
smearing from seeing. Having many independent lines of sight reduces
the uncertainty due to cosmic variance, making parallel observations
ideal.

ACS/HRC 9853

A Search for Young Binary Brown Dwarfs: Constraining Formation
Scenarios and Masses Through Multiplicity

We propose to use the Advanced Camera for Surveys / High Resolution
Camera to conduct a direct imaging multiplicity survey of 34 young
brown dwarfs in the nearest regions of recent star formation, the T
association Taurus-Auriga and the OB association Upper Scorpius. The
determined multiplicity fraction, the separation distribution, and the
mass ratio distribution will offer stringent observational constraints
on proposed brown dwarf formation scenarios. Moreover, the small
semi-major axes of known field and open cluster brown dwarf binaries
suggest the exciting possibility of our identifying several very close
binaries { 15 AU}. Continued monitoring of these systems would yield,
on a decade timescale, the first dynamical mass estimates of T Tauri
brown dwarfs. With masses intermediate between those of stars and
planets, brown dwarfs offer our best hope of relating the reasonably
well understood processes of star formation to the less well
understood processes of planet formation.

ACS/WFC 9788

A Narrow-band Snapshot Survey of Nearby Galaxies

We propose to use ACS/WFC to conduct the first comprehensive HST
narrow-band {H-alpha + [N II]} imaging survey of the central regions
of nearby bulge-dominated disk {S0 to Sbc} galaxies. This survey will
cover, at high angular resolution extending over a large field, an
unprecedented number of galaxies representing many different
environments. It will have important applications for many
astrophysical problems of current interest, and it will be an
invaluable addition to the HST legacy. The observations will be
conducted in snapshot mode, drawing targets from a complete sample of
145 galaxies selected from the Palomar spectroscopic survey of nearby
galaxies. Our group will use the data for two primary applications.
First, we will search for nuclear emission-line disks suitable for
future kinematic measurements with STIS, in order to better constrain
the recently discovered relations between black hole mass and bulge
properties. Preliminary imaging of the type proposed here must be
done, sooner or later, if we are to make progress in this exciting new
field. Second, we will investigate a number of issues related to
extragalactic star formation. Specifically, we will systematically
characterize the properties of H II regions and super star clusters on
all galactic scales, from circumnuclear regions to the large-scale
disk.

ACS/WFC 9842

A Snapshot Search for Halo Very-Low-Mass Binaries

We propose a snapshot search for binary M subdwarf stars. These nearby
stars have high velocities and low metallicies that identify them as
members of the old Galactic halo {Population II}. ACS imaging is
requested to search for secondary companions. This supplements a
previous snapshot program that only obtained 10 observations. The
observed binary fraction will be compared to the disk M dwarf fraction
to look for differences in star formation. It is likely that a system
suitable for orbital mass determinations will be found. In this case,
future HST observations could determine the first masses for
very-low-mass, low-metallicity stars.

ACS/WFC 9891

A snapshot survey of rich stellar clusters in the Large and Small
Magellanic Clouds

Rich stellar clusters are vital to a wide variety of astrophysical
research, from stellar evolution studies to the formation and
evolution of galaxies. In this context, it is important to understand
how rich star clusters form and evolve. The cluster systems in the LMC
and SMC are particularly important in achieving this, because they are
the only systems which contain clusters at all stages of evolution
while being close enough to be studied as fully resolved stellar
populations - although in general this requires the capabilities of
HST. We have recently investigated the structural evolution of LMC and
SMC clusters using archival WFPC2 data, and demonstrated a dramatic
trend in the sizes of these clusters with age. We have shown that this
trend likely represents genuine structural evolution in these
clusters, although it is not clear whether we are observing a
dynamical process or the signature of changing formation conditions.
This result has implications for all astronomical research involving
massive stellar clusters. To develop this work further requires the
extension of our two samples, so that they are statistically
quantifiable. This will allow a number of key questions regarding the
structural evolution trend to be answered. We propose a two-colour
ACS/WFC SNAP survey of rich Magellanic Cloud clusters to achieve this
aim. The unique resolution and sensitivity of ACS/WFC is required for
success, because of the crowded nature of the targets. The SNAP data
will have a large number of additional applications, both to globular
cluster and Magellanic Cloud research.

ACS/WFC 9902

The Evolution of the Host Galaxies of Radio-Quiet Quasars

Study of the host galaxies and environments of high redshift AGN is
proving a valuable probe of current theories of how galaxies form and
evolve. Results from our NICMOS imaging program have indicated that
the hosts of z ~ 2 -- 3 faint radio-quiet quasars {RQQ} have
luminosities only around local L*, making them similar to Lyman-break
field galaxies at the same redshifts, and to the low-z hosts RQQ
hosts. This is roughly consistent with theoretical predictions of
Kauffmann & Haehnelt {2000} for the hierarchical buildup of galaxy
hosts and their relation to their resident supermassive black holes.
The luminosity of the AGN in these RQQ is key to understanding this
relationship, however, and we are making a comprehensive archival HST
imaging study of the hosts of RQQs from low to high z at a range of
nuclear luminosities. At intermediate z, however, there are no studies
of the hosts of RQQs in the faint luminosity range that represents the
bulk of the quasar population. In the present proposal, we request
imaging at the same rest-wavelengths as our high-z sample of the hosts
of 10 similarly luminous RQQs at z ~ 0.9. These data will fill in an
important part of the parameter space defined by quasar luminosity and
redshift. Combined with existing HST data they will allow us to trace
the evolution of the hosts of RQQ and that of the relationship between
quasar luminosity and host galaxy luminosity.

ACS/WFC/HRC 9905

The Host Galaxies of Type II Quasars

Type II quasars are the luminous analogues of Type II Seyferts; the
central engines are presumably heavily obscured by dust. We have
defined a sample of 9 highly luminous Type II quasar candidates with
0.24 z 0.40 from the spectroscopic data of the Sloan Digital Sky
Survey, which have high equivalent width, narrow emission-line spectra
characteristic of a nonthermal continuum. We estimate that the
obscured AGN in these objects have optical luminosities of order
10^{12} solar luminosities. We propose to image this sample in
rest-frame U, B and V, to determine the morphology and color of the
host galaxies, and look for recent star formation. We will also probe
the extended environments of these objects, to determine whether they
are undergoing interactions with close companions, and whether they
live in appreciably clustered environments.

ACS/WFPC2 9488

Cosmic Shear - with ACS Pure Parallel Observations

The ACS, with greater sensitivity and sky coverage, will extend our
ability to measure the weak gravitational lensing of galaxy images
caused by the large scale distribution of dark matter. We propose to
use the ACS in pure parallel {non- proprietary} mode, following the
guidelines of the ACS Default Pure Parallel Program. Using the HST
Medium Deep Survey WFPC2 database we have measured cosmic shear at
arc-min angular scales. The MDS image parameters, in particular the
galaxy orientations and axis ratios, are such that any residual
corrections due to errors in the PSF or jitter are much smaller than
the measured signal. This situation is in stark contrast with
ground-based observations. We have also developed a statistical
analysis procedure to derive unbiased estimates of cosmic shear from a
large number of fields, each of which has a very small number of
galaxies. We have therefore set the stage for measurements with the
ACS at fainter apparent magnitudes and smaller, 10 arc-second scales
corresponding to larger cosmological distances. We will adapt existing
MDS WFPC2 maximum likelihood galaxy image analysis algorithms to work
with the ACS. The analysis would also yield an online database similar
to that in archive.stsci.edu/mds/

FGS 9883

Parallaxes of Extreme Halo Subgiants: Calibrating Globular Cluster
Distances and the Ages of the Oldest Stars

The ages of the oldest stars are a key constraint on the evolution of
our Galaxy, the history of star formation, and cosmological models.
These ages are usually determined from globular clusters. However, it
is alternatively possible to determine ages of extreme Population II
subgiants in the solar neighborhood based on trigonometric parallaxes,
without any recourse to clusters. This approach completely avoids the
vexing issues of cluster distances, reddenings, and chemical
compositions. There are 3 known nearby, extremely metal-deficient Pop
II subgiants with Hipparcos parallax errors of 6-11% which are
available for such age determinations. At present, based on the latest
isochrones, the derived ages of these stars {HD 84937, HD 132475, and
HD 140283} are all close to 14 Gyr, uncomfortably close to or higher
than current estimates of the age of the universe. However, the errors
in the Hipparcos parallaxes imply uncertainties of at least 2 Gyr in
the ages of the 3 stars. We propose to measure parallaxes of these
three Pop II subgiants using HST's Fine Guidance Sensor 1R. We expect
to reduce the Hipparcos parallax error bars by factors of 5-6,
providing the most stringent test yet of current theoretical stellar
models of Pop II stars and pushing the age uncertainties to below 0.5
Gyr. These data will also provide a major new constraint on the
distance scale of globular clusters, with wide implications for
stellar evolution and the calibration of Pop II standard candles.

HST 9382

A Large Targeted Survey for z 1.6 Damped Lyman Alpha Lines in SDSS
QSO MgII-FeII Systems.

We have searched the first public release of SDSS QSO spectra for
low-z {z1.65} metal absorption lines and found over 200 large rest
equivalent width MgII-FeII systems. Previously, we empirically showed
that such systems are good tracers of large neutral gas columns, with
~50% being classical damped Lyman alpha {DLA} systems {N_HI=2*10^20
cm^-2}. Here we propose to follow up a well-defined subset of 79 of
them to search for DLAs with 0.47z1.60. Only QSOs brighter than
g'=19 were selected. The QSO emission and DLA absorption redshifts
were constrained to virtually eliminate data loss due to intervening
Lyman limit absorption. Consequently, we expect to discover ~40 new
DLAs, which is a three-fold increase in this redshift interval. This
will significantly improve our earlier low-z DLA statistical results
on their incidence, cosmological mass density, and N_HI distribution.
The results will also allow us to better quantify the empirical DLA --
metal-line correlation. With this improved understanding, the need for
follow-up UV spectroscopy will lessen and, with the release of the
final database of SDSS QSO spectra {an ~25-fold increase}, the number
of low-z DLAs could be increased arbitrarily. Thus, the power of the
large and statistically-sound SDSS database in combination with a
proven technique for finding low-z DLAs will, over the next few years,
essentially solve the problem of making an accurate determination of
the cosmic evolution of the neutral gas component down to z~0.4.

STIS 9608

CCD Bias Monitor - Part 2

Monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1,
and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up high-S/N superbiases and track the
evolution of hot columns.

STIS 9606

CCD Dark Monitor-Part 2

Monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

STIS 9855

Exploring Interstellar Krypton Abundance Variations at Kiloparsec
Scales

We propose to obtain high-resolution STIS echelle observations of the
interstellar Kr I 1236 absorption toward eight stars situated in the
Galactic disk beyond the Carina/Sagittarius or Perseus Arms. The
measurement of interstellar krypton abundances is a relatively simple
way to investigate elemental abundance variations in the Galaxy, since
its dominant form is neutral and it is undepleted in the ISM.
Furthermore, the intrinsic strengths of krypton's UV resonance lines
combined with its low relative abundance to hydrogen produce weak,
unsaturated features in typical Galactic sight lines. Previous GHRS
and STIS measurements have demonstrated that Kr/H abundance ratios
within the local spiral arm, the Orion Spur, are remarkably uniform;
however, anomalously high krypton abundances have been measured for
the only two sight lines extending also through gas outside the Orion
Spur. This program is designed to determine whether these sight lines
are isolated cases of enrichment, or if they are representative of
large scale krypton abundance variations outside the local arm. Since
krypton is undepleted in the ISM, these observations will also be
relevant to the study of total elemental abundance and depletion
variations for a variety of elements with resonance lines between 1170
and 1372 Angstroms.

STIS 9633

STIS parallel archive proposal - Nearby Galaxies - Imaging and
Spectroscopy

Using parallel opportunities with STIS which were not allocated by the
TAC, we propose to obtain deep STIS imagery with both the Clear
{50CCD} and Long-Pass {F28X50LP} filters in order to make
color-magnitude diagrams and luminosity functions for nearby galaxies.
For local group galaxies, we also include G750L slitless spectroscopy
to search for e.g., Carbon stars, late M giants and S-type stars. This
survey will be useful to study the star formation histories, chemical
evolution, and distances to these galaxies. These data will be placed
immediately into the Hubble Data Archive.

STIS 9708

STIS Pure Parallel Imaging Program: Cycle 11

This is the default archival pure parallel program for STIS during
cycle 11.

STIS 9786

The Next Generation Spectral Library

We propose to continue the Cycle 10 snapshot program to produce a Next
Generation Spectral Library of 600 stars for use in modeling the
integrated light of galaxies and clusters. This program is using the
low dispersion UV and optical gratings of STIS. The library will be
roughly equally divided among four metallicities, very low {[Fe/H] lt
-1.5}, low {[Fe/H] -1.5 to -0.5}, near-solar {[Fe/H] -0.3 to 0.1}, and
super-solar {[Fe/H] gt 0.2}, well-sampling the entire HR-diagram in
each bin. Such a library will surpass all extant compilations and have
lasting archival value, well into the Next Generation Space Telescope
era. Because of the universal utility and community-broad nature of
this venture, we waive the entire proprietary period.

STIS/CCD/MA1 9784

The rarest of sightlines: probing the metallicity of a DLA with a
nearby Low Surface Brightness galaxy

We seek to measure the gas-phase metallicity, dust content, and gas
kinematics in the interstellar medium {ISM} of the Low Surface
Brightness {LSB} galaxy SBS 1543+593, by observing absorption lines in
the spectrum of the background QSO HS 1543+5921. The QSO shines
directly through the center of the LSB galaxy, producing a damped
Lyman-alpha {DLA} line. This is the lowest redshift DLA system known
outside of the local group. Specifically, we wish to use the G140M
grating of STIS to: a} determine the metallicity of the interstellar
gas in the LSB galaxy by accurately measuring the column densities of
neutral hydrogen and sulphur; and b} estimate the amount of dust
present from a precise measure of the nickel column density. The
grating settings chosen to accomplish these goals will also allow us
to: c} characterize the kinematics of cool gas in the disk and halo of
the LSB galaxy by observing the line profiles of strong low ionization
species {Si II, O I, C I, C II, etc.}; and d} search for absorption
from NV which may arise in any highly ionized component of the ISM due
to accretion of intragroup gas onto the galaxy.

STIS/CCD/MA1 9894

UV Spectroscopic Observations of Luminous Narrow-line Seyfert 1 Galaxies

Narrow-line Seyfert 1 galaxies {NLS1s} have remarkably different
properties than Active Galactic Nuclei with broad optical lines. The
most promising explanation for this behavior is that NLS1s have a
higher accretion rate relative to Eddington {L/M} than do broad-line
Seyferts. Despite uniformity in optical line properties, detailed
analysis reveals a divergence of the UV emission line properties that
can be traced differences in the shape of the continuum. A link with
similarly divergent X-ray properties suggests that there may be
variations in L/M even among NLS1s. To test this scenario, we propose
UV spectroscopic of two X-ray extreme NLS1s. These observations offer
the opportunity to advance our understanding in the scatter in the
relationship between line width and black hole mass, to understand
physics of gas in AGN optical and UV emission-line regions, and to
understand recently-discovered peculiar line-less high-z quasars that
may be the early universe counterpart of luminous NLS1s.

STIS/CCD/MA1 9876

Where is the Local Hot Gas?

We wish to sample the absorption characteristics of 3 lines-of-sight
in the local interstellar medium to establish the physical location of
the production sites of the highly ionized absorption lines of CIV,
SiIV and NV. Such lines are formed at gas temperatures of ~ 100, 000K
and all have been widely observed throughout the Galaxy. However,
evidence for the formation of any of these high ions within the hot
gas of the Local Bubble {LB} remains inconclusive, supporting the
similar lack of detections of the OVI ion {T ~ 300, 000K} within 100pc
recently reported by the FUSE satellite. Using our recently gained
information on the contours of the neutral boundary to the LB, we have
selected 3 pairs of stars located just within, and just beyond the LB
boundary. We shall test whether high ionization ions are formed either
{a} beyond the LB boundary in more distant interstellar bubbles of hot
gas, {b} at the conductive interface of the LB neutral boundary, or
{c} at possible conductive interfaces between hot gas within the LB
and the diffuse clouds embedded within it. Hopefully, these
observations will enable theorists to better model the {anomalous}
ionization state, pressure and chemical abundance of the local
interstellar gas and will assist in the interpretation of data soon to
be gained from the NASA CHIPS mission.

WFPC2 9710

POMS Test Proposal: WFII backup parallel archive proposal

This is a POMS test proposal designed to simulate scientific plans.

WFPC2 9709

POMS Test Proposal: WFII parallel archive proposal

This is the generic target version of the WFPC2 Archival Pure Parallel
program. The program will be used to take parallel images of random
areas of the sky, following the recommendations of the 2002 Parallels
Working Group.

WFPC2 9458

Probing the Formation & Evolution of M31's Outer Disk and Halo

The fossil record of galaxy formation and evolution is imprinted on
the spatial distribution, ages and metallicities of galactic stellar
populations. The observations proposed here build significantly upon
our extensive ground-based and archival WFPC2 programs and aim to
constrain the formation and evolution of our nearest large neighbor,
M31. We propose deep imaging of 8 fields in the outer disk and halo,
several of which have been identified from our panoramic ground-based
CCD survey {covering ~ 26 square degrees} to possess significant
stellar density and/or potential metallicity variations. Deep
colour-magnitude diagrams reaching ~2-3 magnitudes below the
horizontal branch will be constructed, allowing detailed
characterization of the luminous evolved stellar populations via the
red giant metallicity distribution, the luminous asymptotic giant
branch, the horizontal branch morphology and the red clump, as well as
the detection of a main-sequence that may be present from any younger
component. Our primary goals are to: {i} quantify the stellar
population variations associated with M31 halo substructure, including
the newly- discovered giant stellar stream, and {ii} derive stringent
constraints on the age and metallicity of stars in the far outer disk.
These observations will directly address two key predictions of cold
dark matter hierarchical galaxy formation models.

WFPC2 9595

WFPC2 CYCLE 11 SUPPLEMENTAL DARKS pt3/3

This dark calibration program obtains 3 dark frames every day to
provide data for monitoring and characterizing the evolution of hot
pixels.

WFPC2 9589

WFPC2 Decontaminations and Associated Observations Pt. 1/3

This proposal is for the monthly WFPC2 decons. Also included are
instrument monitors tied to decons: photometric stability check, focus
monitor, pre- and post-decon internals {bias, intflats, kspots, &
darks}, UV throughput check, VISFLAT sweep, and internal UV flat
check.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.) None

COMPLETED OPS REQs: None

OPS NOTES EXECUTED: None

************************ SCHEDULED**** SUCCESSFUL*** FAILURE TIMES
FGS GSacq************ 22*********************** 22
FGS REacq************ 25*********************** 25
FHST Update********** 36*********************** 35****************
221/1321z
LOSS of LOCK

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS:

NCC cool down proceeding exceptionally well.* Physical response from
the Cryocooler loop indicated surging ended @ approximately 220/05:55Z
at a Turboalternator Inlet temperature of 85.9 K.* Four hours later,
temperature dropped below 82 K allowing the FSW authority over the
full range of compressor speed, up to 7300 rps.* All indications
continue to point to a cool down significantly faster than during
SMOV-3B.

HST Command Timing testing scheduled 223/11:00Z - 20:00Z with GDOC,
SOC, HITT, and CCS using CCS "B" String with CCS Release 4.0.2.2 and
PRD D06300 and CCS "D" String with CCS Release 5.0.3 and PRD D06300S.*
The purpose of this testing is to run comparison testing with CCS
Release 5.0.3 on the "D" String and CCS Release 4.0.2.2 on the "C"
String.